PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-Humor: Nail in the coffin for not drafting Jones

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mike Tannenbaum, formerly the Jets GM, had this to say about Jones going to the Patriots.

"When you start the offseason as aggressively as they have — spending all that money — it’s impossible for me to think that they’re not going to complete the deal and not go up and get a quarterback,” Tannenbaum said Tuesday on ESPN’s “Get Up.” “I think we’re overcomplicating it. Maybe because I was on the losing end of so many of those games for 20 years, but if it was good for 20 years, go get Mac Jones. He’s incredibly accurate, he’s smart. He’s the closest to Tom Brady. Go run it back with Mac Jones for a long time.”

Maybe it's just me.. But if a horrible GM is suggesting the Pats take someone, it's the final nail in the coffin to NOT do it..

Well Mike Tannenbaum was Jets Director of Pro Personnel from 2001-2005 and GM from 2006-2012 so let's look at the Jets draft performance in that time period. To keep it short I'll just go with their 1st round picks.

2001 Santanna Moss WR #16 1x pro bowl
2002 Bryan Thomas DE #22
2003 Dewayne Robertson DT #4 BUST
2004 Jonathan Vilma LB #12* 3x pro-bowls
2005 No 1st rounder but Mike Nugent K was their top pick at #47
2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson #4* 3x pro-bowls, Nick Mangold #29* all-pro
2007 Darrelle Revis #14* all-pro
2008 Vernon Gholston #6 BUST, Dustin Keller #30
2009 Mark Sanchez #5
2010 Kyle Wilson #29
2011 Muhammed Wilkerson #30 1x pro bowl
2012 Quinton Coples #16

So in 12 years of drafting, Tannenbaum was in charge of selecting 13 1st round picks:
He netted 2 all-pro level players in Mangold and Revis.
He selected 4 pro bowl players in Moss, Vilma, Ferguson, and Wilkerson.
He drafted 2 outright busts in Robertson and Gholston.
He drafted 5 players who went on to have unremarkable pro careers some of whom were shortened by injuries in Sanchez, Thomas, Wilson, Keller, and Coples.

I would say that selecting 6 pro bowl and up talents out of 13 1st round picks seems pretty decent compared to the rest of the NFL.
His only outright busts were Robertson and Gholston, but they were big busts because they were taken with top 10 picks.

The only QB he drafted in the 1st, Mark Sanchez did bring the Jets a playoff berth in his 1st and 2nd year. This included an impressive 28-21 road win against the Patriots in the Divisional round in 2010. But Sanchez eventually wilted under the pressure of New York and would never bring the Jets back to the playoffs again after losing to the Colts in the Conference Championship game that year.

The root of the Jets failure from 2001-2012 is the inability to generate a winning culture. I'd say that as far as drafting talent, Tannebaum did alright. He just failed to get a true stud 'franchise QB'. I would say that Sanchez was an average pro QB playing on a stacked Jets roster. Big picture did Tannebaum do an above average job of acquiring talent compared to other NFL GMs, yes. But he never landed that franchise QB and so went the fortunes of the Jets.

So let's return to the Patriots. In the 2000 NFL draft, Bill Belichick lucked out and drafted Brady at #199 overall thanks to QB coach **** Rehbein going to bat for the kid. The Patriots made the bargain pick of the century and never looked back.

Now it's 21 years later. The Patriots have reloaded and revamped their roster but a franchise QB is not in their back pocket. What does BB do? This is his chance to write a new chapter in an impressive book so far. But if he doesn't get that franchise QB, Chapter 2 is going to look a lot worse than Chapter 1. I'm really looking forward to the draft this year with a mix of both anticipation and dread!

Last edited:
Well Mike Tannenbaum was Jets Director of Pro Personnel from 2001-2005 and GM from 2006-2012 so let's look at the Jets draft performance in that time period. To keep it short I'll just go with their 1st round picks.

2002 Bryan Thomas DE #22
2009 Mark Sanchez #5
2010 Kyle Wilson #29
2012 Quinton Coples #16

So in 12 years of drafting, Tannenbaum was in charge of selecting 13 1st round picks:
He drafted 5 players who went on to have unremarkable pro careers some of whom were shortened by injuries in Sanchez, Thomas, Wilson, Keller, and Coples.

I would say that selecting 6 pro bowl and up talents out of 13 1st round picks seems pretty decent compared to the rest of the NFL.
His only outright busts were Robertson and Gholston, but they were big busts because they were taken with top 10 picks.

The only QB he drafted in the 1st, Mark Sanchez did bring the Jets a playoff berth in his 1st and 2nd year. This included an impressive 28-21 road win against the Patriots in the Divisional round in 2010. But Sanchez eventually wilted under the pressure of New York and would never bring the Jets back to the playoffs again after losing to the Colts in the Conference Championship game that year.

The root of the Jets failure from 2001-2012 is the inability to generate a winning culture. I'd say that as far as drafting talent, Tannebaum did alright. He just failed to get a true stud 'franchise QB'. Big picture did Tannebaum do an above average job of acquiring talent compared to other NFL GMs, yes. But he never landed that franchise QB and so went the fortunes of the Jets.

So let's return to the Patriots. In the 2000 NFL draft, Bill Belichick lucked out and drafted Brady at #199 overall thanks to QB coach **** Rehbein going to bat for the kid. The Patriots made the bargain pick of the century and never looked back.

Now it's 21 years later. The Patriots have reloaded and revamped their roster but a franchise QB is not in their back pocket. What does BB do? This is his chance to write a new chapter in an impressive book so far. But if he doesn't get that franchise QB, Chapter 2 is going to look a lot worse than Chapter 1. I'm really looking forward to the draft this year with a mix of both anticipation and dread!

From 2001 - 2012:

The Jets had 7 winning seasons.
They went to the Play-offs 6 times.
4 of those times resulted in 1 and done.

And isn't that what matters? He wasn't able to put a team on the field to win consistently.

I think you're being kind to Tannenbaum in regards to Coples and Wilson.

Tannenbaum sayz :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that is all

Last edited:
From 2001 - 2012:

The Jets had 7 winning seasons.
They went to the Play-offs 6 times.
4 of those times resulted in 1 and done.

And isn't that what matters? He wasn't able to put a team on the field to win consistently.

I think you're being kind to Tannenbaum in regards to Coples and Wilson.

Perhaps I am being too kind to Tannebaum but I remember the Rex Ryan Jets as the only team capable of giving the Pats a serious run for the money back in the day.

The other thing to consider is that success is relative.

To the Patriots fandom, nothing less than a Superbowl winning season is a success.

To the Jets fandom, they made the playoffs 6 times in 13 years in his tenure.

But since he left from 2013-2020 they have made the playoffs a total of 0 times in 7 years. Misery.

So to the Jets fandom, the Tannebaum years ARE the Golden years of the Jets.

For them beating us in the Divisional round of the 2010 playoffs was like winning the Superbowl, finally overthrowing the 'Tyrant' who ruled the division with an Iron Fist for decades.

I'd say compared to the rest of the league, Tannebaum did an above average job as a GM acquiring talent. He just never got them over the hump. And compared to the string of miserable years with no playoffs that followed him 2013-present, Tannaebaum looks pretty darn smart in comparison.

Wilson was a massive bust. Coples was pretty bad for where he was picked. Thomas wasn't very good.

Trading up the way he did for Mark Sanchez is the reason he's on TV now.

Perhaps I am being too kind to Tannebaum but I remember the Rex Ryan Jets as the only team capable of giving the Pats a serious run for the money back in the day.

The other thing to consider is that success is relative.

To the Patriots fandom, nothing less than a Superbowl winning season is a success.

To the Jets fandom, they made the playoffs 6 times in 13 years in his tenure.

But since he left from 2013-2020 they have made the playoffs a total of 0 times in 7 years. Misery.

So to the Jets fandom, the Tannebaum years ARE the Golden years of the Jets.

For them beating us in the Divisional round of the 2010 playoffs was like winning the Superbowl, finally overthrowing the 'Tyrant' who ruled the division with an Iron Fist for decades.

I'd say compared to the rest of the league, Tannebaum did an above average job as a GM acquiring talent. He just never got them over the hump. And compared to the string of miserable years with no playoffs that followed him 2013-present, Tannaebaum looks pretty darn smart in comparison.
This is a pretty compelling argument, I can’t lie. The Jets did have back-to-back AFC championship appearances despite mediocre play from his handpicked quarterback. His tenure was a mixed bag, with the measure of success being a low bar for the Jets to clear given their history of futility. But they’ve been worse without him, that’s for certain.

FYI Tannenbaum was Jets GM from 2006-2012. Terry Bradway was their GM from 2001-2005.

Side note: I’ve long hated the Denver Broncos but I’m grateful for their 1998 team. That 1998 Jets team was a wagon and they haven’t been anywhere as good since then. That’s been their best chance, at least in my lifetime, of them winning a Super Bowl. That was a great Atlanta Falcons team that made it out of the NFC but I felt like the Jets could’ve beat them had they faced.

Last edited:

2002 Bryan Thomas DE #22
2009 Mark Sanchez #5
2010 Kyle Wilson #29
2012 Quinton Coples #16

The root of the Jets failure from 2001-2012 is the inability to generate a winning culture. I'd say that as far as drafting talent, Tannebaum did alright. He just failed to get a true stud 'franchise QB'. I would say that Sanchez was an average pro QB playing on a stacked Jets roster. Big picture did Tannebaum do an above average job of acquiring talent compared to other NFL GMs, yes. But he never landed that franchise QB and so went the fortunes of the Jets.

I realize it’s only the first round, but damn that’s actually a pretty impressive list for the most part. Some major busts but also a lot of really good players... some all-time good like Revis. Props to him at least in the first round.

This is a pretty compelling argument, I can’t lie. The Jets did have back-to-back AFC championship appearances despite mediocre play from his handpicked quarterback
Their early success was due to Ryan's scheme which gave teams fits, including the Pats. Brady caught on by 2011 and then the Jets collapsed.
Side note: I’ve long hated the Denver Broncos but I’m grateful for their 1998 team. That 1998 Jets team was a wagon and they haven’t been anywhere as good since then. That’s been their best chance, at least in my lifetime, of them winning a Super Bowl. That was a great Atlanta Falcons team that made it out of the NFC but I felt like the Jets could’ve beat them had they faced.
Like most teams in that era, the Jets were old and slow and were one of the many late 90's "Cinderella" teams. Led by Testaverde who was the first "Noodle Arm" I saw growing up. However, their offensive line was their most youthful group and they were really good which explains Martin running wild there. In addition, Testeverde's jersey was usually clean as it was very difficult for D's to get to him.

The Falcons led by Chris Chandler was also ridiculous. Another old team and one year wonders who had no business getting to the Super Bowl. In fact, their path was greatly benefitted by the 9ers facing off with Green Bay and then Garrison Hearst tearing his ACL against the Falcons. 9ers most likely beat them with Hearst.

Last edited:

2002 Bryan Thomas DE #22
2009 Mark Sanchez #5
2010 Kyle Wilson #29
2012 Quinton Coples #16

Only two busts? Quinton Coples wasn't a bust? The guy was the 16th pick in the draft in 2012 and was cut by the Jets in 2015 after three and a half uneven seasons, And he only lasted one more season after he was cut by the Jets. That just seems pretty busty for me for a player picked in the first half of the first round of the draft. Maybe I am being a bit too harsh.

Last edited:
BTW, the Jets drafted better when Tanenbaum wasn't the GM than when he was over that time period. Sure he did really well in the first round in 2006 and 2007, but after that it was more misses and average talent than hits. The only truly great pick from 2008-2012 is Wilkerson.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back