PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everyone Seems VERY Happy With This Draft So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, ever since I discovered this forum in 2013, this seems the most positive the board has ever been about a draft. Usually we are inundated with 'he is a bum' comments but you all seem pretty chuffed. As I don't get college football over here on my SKY package I look to you all at this time of year, and you have put me in a great mood.

My only real question is how the new CB projects. Gilmore and JC are excellent, so does this mean Dawson is falling down the depth chart, J-Mac could be on his way to safety, and Crossen is the odd man out?

The same with my friends. Everyone's been texting how much they love what the Pats have done. Usually it's a cesspool of negativity. I hope these players are the real deal.

This might be it...Greedy sounded pretty arrogant last night about how he and Denzel Ward are going to tear up the league and that the Browns are going to the SB. Does not sound like a PTP.
He's not. One screamed PTP & one doesn't like or want to tackle at all. Biggest - that turned him off to us. I love Williams upside but its a big problem.

Well, you and I debated this before.

Sony
Harris
Burk
White
Bolden (ST/RB) but may only get 1 carry this year)

Develin is FB but carried the ball out of necessity last year.
I don’t consider bolden a true RB. He is in roster competition with sters.
Devlin is a fb. His carries constitute Rb no more than Edelman’s do. When all the true RBs were injured we didn’t play devlin there, we played a WR there.

Yep. Harris> Burk. After watching more of him no question he's an upgrade.

This might be it for Burk
His salary and injuries work against him, but he's a terrific back imo. Versatile and explosive. I think they'll be trying to find a way to keep him.

I’d like to see them draft a really big fat guy today for the middle of the DL. Other than that, I’m good.

Joejuan Williams to me is the only pick where it could realistically go bad, but the upside is tempting. As a side note a lot of people are talking about him as a match up based CB and I don't agree or like that. If you pick a guy at 45 (and trade up for him) you shouldn't be fine with that player sitting or covering scrub players some weeks just cause they fit his type.

If you trade up to take a guy at 45 you better be shooting for a player who doesn't leave the field (ala a Richard Sherman type). Yes play the match ups when they make sense, but to sit your 45th overall pick that you traded up for is unacceptable. Period. If you pick him that high he should be in your core group or you over paid and got bad value.

To look at JJW as a corner in the traditional sense doesn't make that much sense to me. He would not do well against 5'9 super quick receivers and to put him in that position would not make sense.

I think JJW was brought in specifically as a chess piece to match up vs. the big WR/TE skill set type guys out there as a minimum. Travis Kelce, Kittle, Ertz those other type of big bodied receivers. Guys that are historically too big for CBs/Safeties and too fast for LBs. I think JJW is brought in to take away those guys.

According to CBS Sports, the Pats have allowed 81 receptions to TEs and 11 TDs. JJW helps address this. Most teams have at least one big bodied target. Sometimes that guy's a star, other times not. Either way you put JJW on him. Depending on the threat, you may need S help. It's a matchup based league... A chess piece to match up with the other team's big receiver is something we haven't really had. Chung has done it admirably in the past, but at 6' he doesn't have the length to most effectively defend 6'3+ targets.

When offenses went to 3 WR sets, defenses adapted with the slot CB... Now, offenses are using a big WR/TE. I think BB is saying, we're going with a big CB position type specifically to address that. I think Obi Melifonwu is another player like this (6-4 225lbs). BB has a quote in which he basically says 'not sure who is going to defend all these huge targets' this is the answer.

So to me, he's our potential starting big CB. If he plays that role and helps negate big WR/TE I think he's a great pick.

BB uses his players to their strengths and so far this whole group has a ton of them.

ECSTATIC over this class so far.

This draft has been the best Pats draft since 2012 in terms of consistently picking highly rated players and filling needs.

We will judge it properly in a few years but right now, you have to be impressed.

I’m happy that we didn’t draft a “coach on the field” in the 2nd round.
Yeah, but he’s a really good person who is really smart, just really slow for a CB. Only difference between him and Jordan Richards is size and position, though I see JoeSlow Williams switching to safety.

I'm happy that everyone(except maybe Cajuste) seems very likely to contribute from jump street. Also, all of their attitudes and demeanors seem great. Thrilled so far

He's not. One screamed PTP & one doesn't like or want to tackle at all. Biggest - that turned him off to us. I love Williams upside but its a big problem.

Agree.

One thing we've learned is when you draft a player... you get the whole person not just a set of skills and attributes like in Madden. The personality traits drive work ethic, how much the player will improve and overall team culture.

There's an old story I read at one point... of BB's first year here. Andy Katzenmoyer, prior year's first round pick walks into a team meeting late. BB tells him to leave.

The Pats are not build around "me, me" guys, but selfless team guys. Greedy doesn't seem like a team first guy. Plus... as mentioned, he doesn't like to tackle. Doesn't BB have a famous line about "what am I gonna do with a corner(player?) who doesn't tackle?".

The ultimate sin in Pats culture is NOT giving your best effort. Say what you will about Jordan Richards, but that guy worked hard.

Most of the guys we drafted (based on what I read) love football, work hard and are leaders. Yes, not all are captains but the Pats have said before that doing your job and bringing it everyday is leadership. The type of guys when the chips are down (see Falcons Super Bowl) don't quit and just execute.

Greedy is talented no doubt, but doesn't fit the mentality, work ethic and culture.

I have to say, ever since I discovered this forum in 2013, this seems the most positive the board has ever been about a draft. Usually we are inundated with 'he is a bum' comments but you all seem pretty chuffed. As I don't get college football over here on my SKY package I look to you all at this time of year, and you have put me in a great mood.

My only real question is how the new CB projects. Gilmore and JC are excellent, so does this mean Dawson is falling down the depth chart, J-Mac could be on his way to safety, and Crossen is the odd man out?
about the CBs i think, as usual, BB is setting up the future. Gillmore will become very expensive real soon so if he goes, looks like we will have a plan. I love this draft and we still have a bunch of picks with some real talent left on the board.

I know some aren't happy & thats fine. Honestly you could make a case for a ton of positions/needs but I'm happy.

All these players were identified as PTP long before the draft. Some over a year before the draft.
Winovich, Harris, Harry, Williams, Wynn, Dawson, Crossen, Berrios, Sam, Rivers, Garcia, Wise, McDermott.

At the very least we're nailing picks. Let the myth that "no one knows who Bill wants, what Bill will do" die. I honestly feel this draft board is as good as its ever been in that respect. I might be wrong but I doubt it. Literally almost every pick is talked about, discussed, mentioned, w/e you want to call it.

We know exactly the type of player New England wants. Not just looking at talented players. We have a type
& know it. Perhaps more than most fans, media know their team.

Plenty of PTP still available. Ive heard all you mention the names.

Very happy & we still have plenty of picks & GoTs tomorrow night!

Not sure if you are debating or agreeing?

Actually, these are points of reference. My guess is your analysis works right into what BB has wanted for some time.

However, if anyone thinks too many good corner's is bad......that a debate.

I am suspicious of a draft that the board 'likes! I usually equate a good draft by the amount of whining in the draft thread. Come on BB lets get some tears flowing today!!!:D

It’s hard to top the combo of Jones and Hightower. This draft sure does have some bang to it though.

They might be more impactful, but I’m thinking just in terms of personal ‘feel good’ factor. To be honest, it’s just nice not to have had that deflated feeling some Pats picks usually give you (usually in the 2nd round). No pick give me that the first two days, and quite the opposite in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down