PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN writer predicts Godwin and Watkins to NE

If you want to sign 5 superstar in FA this year it will not cost only 53M I can tell you that.

the Rams have like 130M tied to their top 6 players.

with 60M we could sign 2-3 top FA but that would mean no QB and we resign 0 of our FA and we have like still 10-15 spot to fill.
The Rams are 30 million over the cap.

Using top end guys just because it makes it easier;
Mike Evans
D Adams
D waller
Akiem hicks
Danielle hunter.
Last years total cap hits 530000000 and those are not first year cap numbers.
And then we would need to sign rookies, still need LBs, replace the linemen we lost, and still find a QB.

With an adequate QB they would have competed last year. Do you know how many positions can be upgraded with $60,000,000? Given that it’s 60,000,000 in first year cap hit you are taking almost half a team.
The Patriots also have $170M or so in 2022 cap space to play with. If they get creative, they can do a heck of a lot this year.

And then we would need to sign rookies, still need LBs, replace the linemen we lost, and still find a QB.
It’s an example. Someone says we wouldn’t contend even with 60 mill. I showed a simple example of what 60 mill would bring. On first year contracts that 53 would be closer to 35. Room for QBs, draft picks, etc.
Are you telling me thise 5 players as an example doesn’t dramatically change the team?

The Patriots also have $170M or so in 2022 cap space to play with. If they get creative, they can do a heck of a lot this year.
I cannot stress enough. This is the year. There is no ease into rebuild, wait and see when we get a qb or any if that crap.
The opportunity is NOW. They can control FA and remake the entire team.
Look at it this way.
Take the top 30 players on the team and slot them into their best role. Define the other 23 roles and with the draft choices and cap room they have they can improve every single one of them substantially or some more than others etc.
The idea that you “build” is not logical in a capped league. Especially when you have cap space. You improve the team when you change the opportunity using the full opportunity.
I’m not sure what people are thinking when they say fix some things first then see. The cap space is there TODAY.

It’s an example. Someone says we wouldn’t contend even with 60 mill. I showed a simple example of what 60 mill would bring. On first year contracts that 53 would be closer to 35. Room for QBs, draft picks, etc.
Are you telling me thise 5 players as an example doesn’t dramatically change the team?
With no QB Adams, Evans, and Waller don't really do a lot.

This writer is wrong. Makes zero sense to spend big $ on WRs when we have no QB.

I just gave you a list of 5 superstar players with cap numbers that total 53 mill. That is indisputable. And those are not first year cap hits.
Im sorry that you don’t understand how this works.
And those same players will cost 70M in 2021 and you purposefully choose Wallen because he has only a cap hit of 6M because he sign his extension before he had his huge years since he signed it in October 2019.

all of those contract you use were contract extension and were not FA signing. We are talking about FA signing and not extension. You try to make a point using false data. You can easily add 10-20M to the total minimum if those were FA signing.

This writer is wrong. Makes zero sense to spend big $ on WRs when we have no QB.

Then what happens when you draft or sign a QB. Then you have no weapons.

Team building doesn't necessarily work like that. You put a TEAM together and try and improve your problem areas.

What QB is going to want to come here via trade and free agency if we have no weapons. You don't give them something to throw to and we have to overpay a QB and they still might go somewhere else. Like you just can't put the team on hold for a QB at this point. It's detrimental longterm.
I don't disagree, but if I'm Godwin it's hard not to notice our current black hole at QB and be skeptical. Secondly, we aren't going to go out and pay top dollar when we don't have the faintest idea who's under center In 2021 - or the fact BBs MO has never been to pay top dollar at WR, which Godwin will be paid top dollar. I'd rather they shopped in the 8-10 mil range type of WR, at the present.

Then what happens when you draft or sign a QB. Then you have no weapons.

Team building doesn't necessarily work like that. You put a TEAM together and try and improve your problem areas.

Nah this isn't how you team build. We have proven we can get by with good depth at WR. What we're really missing is an elite TE. Throwing huge dollars at WR , interior linemen except for center, RBs, these are all positions where it is poor cap allocation to throw big $ at players.

If only we could have drafted a good WR during the loaded 2018 draft at that position. Then we wouldn’t be looking at massive cap numbers to sign a veteran like Godwin because he would still be on his rookie deal and producing. We decided to draft Tank Ass instead. Thankfully, Meyers is producing. A nice, little diamond in the rough and a guy who looks like he could round into a solid #2.

I don't see BB shelling out that kind of money for Godwin unfortunately or one player. I see him getting a mid to low-tier receiver like Agholor who's versatile enough to play inside and outside. I expect these kind of signings tbh to replenish a depleted roster.

I don't see BB shelling out that kind of money for Godwin unfortunately or one player. I see him getting a mid to low-tier receiver like Agholor who's versatile enough to play inside and outside. I expect these kind of signings tbh to replenish a depleted roster.
Agholor would be a nice pickup.

If only we could have drafted a good WR during the loaded 2018 draft at that position. Then we wouldn’t be looking at massive cap numbers to sign a veteran like Godwin because he would still be on his rookie deal and producing. We decided to draft Tank Ass instead. Thankfully, Meyers is producing. A nice, little diamond in the rough and a guy who looks like he could round into a solid #2.
Yup.

Harry is already a #2 receiver. Yeah that kind of number two.

major league baseball GIF by Morgan Creek

NKeal Harry is praying to Jobu right now, don't worry. Year 3 baby.

And those same players will cost 70M in 2021 and you purposefully choose Wallen because he has only a cap hit of 6M because he sign his extension before he had his huge years since he signed it in October 2019.

all of those contract you use were contract extension and were not FA signing. We are talking about FA signing and not extension. You try to make a point using false data. You can easily add 10-20M to the total minimum if those were FA signing.
Again I am sorry that you don’t understand how this works. Comparing the contracts of extended players and free agents is the market. Players don’t take less to be extended.
First year cap hits are way below later years so my numbers over represent the cost.
But by all means go ahead and look at facts. Then you will understand.
show me the first year cap hits of the 5 top free agents you would have signed last year.

Its amazing that instead of learning something you mind can only grasp conspiracy theory and think that these players are outliers. They were randomly chosen good players.

Probably all of the above. He had a war chest. He can either improve a smaller number of positions significantly or improve a ton of positions but not as dramatically.
I expect he will fall in between there.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back