PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN sinking Disney

Wow, bring back Olbermann that's your plan?

ESPN, has actually tied itself now with the NBA, so they will sink or swim with that allegiance.

Do me a favor and take a look at the stands today and tomorrow and tell me how many SJW you see.

Knowing your audience, is the #1 thing in entertainment, and ESPN has screwed the pooch with that.
You are 100%! right about ESPN and the NBA.

Call me socially ignorant though but what does SJW stand for?

ESPN is s shell of its former self. Sportscenter has turned into The View with two women and two men sitting around a table talking about viral videos off the internet and spending 10 minutes at a time talking about Lebron James instead of the actual Cavs game. They have random celebrities on that have no sports tie ins, Jessica Alba selling diapers, or Lil' Wayne mumbling about who knows what.

It used to be two guys behind a desk recapping games and highlights with a little bit of their own personality/shtick mixed in. Now we get some garbled mix of pop culture and "woke" analysts injecting their own politics to make everything about race.

They are so confused at this point that they seemingly have to force a female analyst/anchor/whatever into every single show or segment and then give Barstool its own show for 30 seconds only to pull it because they claimed they didn't realize that a Barstool show couldn't be separated from Barstool?? They are pretty much MTV at this point, a sports channel that used to be about sports.

They are pretty much MTV at this point, a sports channel that used to be about sports.

Love this analogy.

With ESPN a subsidiary now, the writing is on the wall for a divestiture and refocusing of its current business model to be placed in line with exactly your point - expenditure aligned with audience market share (real, not propped up by bundling).

Now that share may not have much to do with actual sports anymore, much like MTV, but instead its new audience demographic. The transition time however, is going to be ugly for shareholder and consumer alike.

Take the politics out of the games by getting rid of anthems. It's the only real way to get past all this protest crap. We don't have anthems before other entertainment events such as movies, concerts, etc so WTF do we have them before sports events?
That’s up to the nfl and I’m fine whatever they decide to do with their business

You seem upset about having the anthem played and I don’t understand that.

I know once the NFL resumed after the 911 attacks, 99.9% of Americans loved it.

I think that Disney/ABC sowed the seeds of ESPN's downfall long before they (ineptly) began to implement diversity. Disney's replacement of the original "wild bunch" boys - analysts who actually knew their **** and focused on avoiding cliches - with former jock personalities who even superficial sports fans would recognize and who were less resistant to reading pre-digested scripts.

I've been a first-hand witness to what happens when a relatively small company that was successful because of the special qualities and dedication of its employees gets taken over by a larger corporation that runs things by the Wall Street playbook. It's never pretty and nearly always results in the destruction of the small-but-special firm.
I agree with all you posted but that doesn’t change the fact that appeasing identity groups and political correctness has killed ESPN

Secondly, their multiple channel strategy diluted an already over saturated television sports market. How many are there now?

They didn't base it on ratings the first time. Why expect it now?
I guess I was thinking they can’t be stupid enough to cancel shows using an ethnic scorecard? In other words, make sure their network remains “inclusive”.

I agree with all you posted but that doesn’t change the fact that appeasing identity groups and political correctness has killed ESPN

Secondly, their multiple channel strategy diluted an already over saturated television sports market. How many are there now?

Just to be clear, I'm not into the political thing at all and apparently you are, but honestly, the political correctness ******** they got into had very little to do with it.

ESPN - all the broadcast sports networks, really - have been killed by corporate-think. Their insistence on superficiality, ridiculous emphasis melodrama and controversy, intrusive graphics, MTV/artsy-fartsy camera work, putting morons in the broadcast booth who don't know s**t but never STFU.

They made their own presentation "the show" and made the actual game something of an afterthought. The appeal to identity groups, etc., has been merely a last desperate effort to secure and audience. It's a symptom, not the cause.

Just to be clear, I'm not into the political thing at all and apparently you are, but honestly, the political correctness ******** they got into had very little to do with it.

ESPN - all the broadcast sports networks, really - have been killed by corporate-think. Their insistence on superficiality, ridiculous emphasis melodrama and controversy, intrusive graphics, MTV/artsy-fartsy camera work, putting morons in the broadcast booth who don't know s**t but never STFU.

They made their own presentation "the show" and made the actual game something of an afterthought. The appeal to identity groups, etc., has been merely a last desperate effort to secure and audience. It's a symptom, not the cause.
I don’t think my perspective reflects that I’m “into politics”. It’s just the way I see ESPN’s evolution from the time it first started until today.

That doesn’t mean I’m dismissing your perspective. I actually believe both have caused ESPN’s downfall.

I think my perspective reflects Disney’s philosophy which in my opinion doesn’t belong in the world of sorts broadcasting.

I don’t think my perspective reflects that I’m “into politics”. It’s just the way I see ESPN’s evolution from the time it first started until today.

That doesn’t mean I’m dismissing your perspective. I actually believe both have caused ESPN’s downfall.

I think my perspective reflects Disney’s philosophy which in my opinion doesn’t belong in the world of sorts broadcasting.

Well, politically, Disney' corporate leadership has consistently supported conservatives. However, their "philosophy" wrt "products is, "anything we think has the best chance of making us a buck."

The identity politics/PC stuff is cynical pandering that Disney "suggested" that ESPN engage in after it was already well into its drain-circling. Just like all their other brilliant ideas for "fixing" what they effed up, it hasn't worked.

Wow, bring back Olbermann that's your plan?

ESPN, has actually tied itself now with the NBA, so they will sink or swim with that allegiance.

Do me a favor and take a look at the stands today and tomorrow and tell me how many SJW you see.

Knowing your audience, is the #1 thing in entertainment, and ESPN has screwed the pooch with that.

30 minutes of Olbermann a day was great from 2013-2015, and I also said bring the Dan Patrick show from NBC Sports would worm - that's a great interview/analysis show.

I completely concur that ESPN has lost track of its audience.

They fired reputable reporters like Ed Werder and keep hiring hipster doofuses. Self inflicted.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back