PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss/PFT: Moss and Patriots agree on 3-year, $27M deal [mergedx9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Moss turned down more money from Eagles

**** -- I thought ***ante WENT to philly for the chance to play in a superbowl.

MOSS IS THE MAN. Money will never buy you greatness.

MOSS will retire as a 19-0 Patriots player. What a great way to retire.!

Last edited:

**** -- I thought ***ante WENT to philly for the chance to play in a superbowl.

ask him that question again by the end of this season and see what his response will be.

Re: moss message to his fans.

I'm ready to get back. We have some unfinished business to take care of."

OMG, I'm actually giddy and I'm not a giddy type of guy !

I hope he gets a huge ovation at the home opener.

According to a source close to the situation, the Eagles spoke to Randy Moss for quite a while today, attempting to lure him to Philadelphia, much like they had Asante Samuel. In fact, they Eagles offered Moss more than the 3-year, $27 million he received from the Pats. Only, Moss turned it down.

That says a lot about Moss, and his desire to win, and living up to the words he spoke last season when he arrived and took a paycut to play.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/index.php/2008/03/03/moss-turned-down-more-money/

Welcome back Randy, hes a man of his word.

It will be interesting to hear these reports as they come out... there were a ton of people in denial that Moss was actively shopping himself to other teams, given his statements that he only wanted to play here.

I'm a bit surprised by the low guaranteed money from the Pats - but at 3 years I've got no reason to think Moss won't earn and recieve every penny of the $27 million.

The "win" for Moss is that its just a 3 year contract and he can grab another big contract in 2011. I'm sure he'd love to see a longer contract with twice as much guranteed money - but there's an upside to just a 3 year contract as well - and it seems clear the Pats weren't going to make such a huge commitment to him (though I'm sure they'd be glad to lock him up for 10 years, just as long as they weren't on the hook with guranteed money)

I tend to think its not a coincidence that this ends in a potential uncapped year as well - which would be more good news for Moss.

The Patriots "win" for their part seemingly cover themselves from any fear that Moss won't have an incentive to play hard for the duration of his contract:

#1 He'll want to make sure he's playing up to a $9 million per season contract since effectively its only 1 and 1/3rd year that's guranteed, and;

#2 He'll want to show he's worth another lucrative contract in 2011, which, playing with Brady he should certainly be able to.

Of course we all win as none of us were looking forward to this season without Moss, knowing his presence on the field automatically increases the production of Moss and (hopefully) Gaffney as well as benefits the running game and keeps pressure off of Brady.

Heck - I'll even be so bold as to predict that Kelly Washington catches 10 times as many passes this year as he did last now that Moss is back in the fold ;)

Last edited:
Re: Moss Agent Details deal

Someone (not me) should start an official "Gulp. I was wrong about Randy Moss" thread where all those who felt they knew what was going on said some crappy stuff about 81.

Re: moss message to his fans.

"unfinished business"

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

that just sped up the healing process.

Yup, gave me a tingly feeling like when I used to climb the rope in gym class!

Hooray Moss, glad as hell to have you back, and especially glad you were a man of your word in all possible ways! Can't wait to see the unfinished business taken care of!!

Someone (not me) should start an official "Gulp. I was wrong about Randy Moss" thread where all those who felt they knew what was going on said some crappy stuff about 81.

haha...yeah, but they're all hiding in shame now.

Randy is the man.

Many people on this board were being overly critical of Randy. 3 years 27 million for arguably the 2nd best receiver of all time. This deal is fair for both sides, he is making about 9 mil a year. In Marvin Harrison makes about 10 mil a year, so he is definitely getting close to top dollar for a receiver.

Cap hit for Moss

anyone figured it out for this year?

I'm thrilled that Randy Moss is coming back. I'm also thrilled that it didn't take a cap crippling contract to keep him. I expected Moss to demand a total salary in the $10-$11 per year range, which would put the team at a serious disadvantage when trying to re-sign their younger players. This deal is a relative bargain.

I think it's overly simplistic to compare contracts by averaging them per year.

for example, would you prefer randy's deal (9m/year average, 12m signing bonus), or would you rather have a 3 yr 33m contract w/0 signing bonus, and 20m in the 3rd year?

I'm no accountant, but I'd think the signing bonus makes that a decent contract.

I'm thrilled that Randy Moss is coming back. I'm also thrilled that it didn't take a cap crippling contract to keep him. I expected Moss to demand a total salary in the $10-$11 per year range, which would put the team at a serious disadvantage when trying to re-sign their younger players. This deal is a relative bargain.

so, you think 1m/yr would cripple our cap space and make us unable to sign players?

Re: Cap hit for Moss

anyone figured it out for this year?

Well with it only being for 3 years it wouldn't surprise me if its feasible that he plays all three years and gets every penny.

But we won't know until the contract details are released.

I suppose its possible the last year is backloaded - which would be interesting if the contract turns out to be a defacto two year deal with a very expensive third year.

You guys can say what you want about my concerns about Moss - but given his tenure with the Raiders, and willingness to shop himself around the NFL, it seems to me that this short contract suggests the Patriots front office had some similar concerns.

What are you to make of it when the NFL market determines that Donte Stallworth is worth a 7 year contract with $10 million guranteed and Moss is worth 3 years with $12 million guranteed.

I'm glad for the Pats - they got a great, low risk deal - but let's not delude ourselves that the Pats might have wanted to protect themselves too.

what's his first year salary?

a guess probably isnt too helpful but i'm going to say about 6.5 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back