PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN power rankings post free agency

lol, the only reason they would rank the Chiefs ahead of the Bucs in power rankings is likely because of editorial oversight and wanting to push controversy

I think its insulting any year to have the defending champs not be #1, with rare exceptions where a team like the Broncos lose Manning to retirement immediately after SB or have their team totally decimated with free agent departures, etc.

ESPN Editorial Oversight Meeting:
BossPerson1
: "I don't want the Bucs at #1, give me one good reason they should be there"
Writer1: "Well the Bucs are the defending champs, they completely dominated KC in the SB 2 months ago, were able to re-sign all 22 starters for the first time in the SB era and they had no offseason program/training camp/preseason last year to build chemistry. Meanwhile KC lost both their starting tackles and have only managed to sign an interior offensive lineman."
BossPerson1: "You're going to put KC at #1, lets get the people talking!"
Writer1: "/sigh"
I think you give national sports writers too much credit. Like many (most?) fans, they're irrational and don't actually know that much beyond big names.

bovada

T-10th superbowl odds
6th in AFC

draftkings

T-12th superbowl odds
7th in AFC

fanduel

T-14th superbowl odds
T-6th in AFC

19th is too low based on roster talent alone IMO.

Vegas sets their odds based on where the money is going, not who they think is most likely to win. The Pats get a lot of money going their direction because of the fanbase.

if the pats release two injured players after surgery bb is a cutthroat scumbag and should be castrated where as the chiefs do it and it's applauded and is their best off season move. total hypocrites.... and what about their other off season move of pretending britt reid never happened and sweeping that scandalous tragedy under the rug. how does that affect them going forward ?

I think you give national sports writers too much credit. Like many (most?) fans, they're irrational and don't actually know that much beyond big names.

The love affair with mahomey reminds me of early pre forehead manning days. It’s nauseating. The guy’s good but there’s other QBs in this league.

The love affair with mahomey reminds me of early pre forehead manning days. It’s nauseating. The guy’s good but there’s other QBs in this league.
With the exception of taking Brady, you'd have to be a complete fool to want any current QB over Mahomes. So, naturally, Mahomes is going to get lots of love and attention.

The power rankings having the Bucs below the Chiefs made sense before FA when it was assumed that the Bucs were gonna lose a bunch of key pieces and that the Chiefs would fix their o-line. But the Bucs kept everyone and the Chiefs still don’t have tackles. So it’s pretty dumb now.

lol, the only reason they would rank the Chiefs ahead of the Bucs in power rankings is likely because of editorial oversight and wanting to push controversy

I think its insulting any year to have the defending champs not be #1, with rare exceptions where a team like the Broncos lose Manning to retirement immediately after SB or have their team totally decimated with free agent departures, etc.

ESPN Editorial Oversight Meeting:
BossPerson1
: "I don't want the Bucs at #1, give me one good reason they should be there"
Writer1: "Well the Bucs are the defending champs, they completely dominated KC in the SB 2 months ago, were able to re-sign all 22 starters for the first time in the SB era and they had no offseason program/training camp/preseason last year to build chemistry. Meanwhile KC lost both their starting tackles and have only managed to sign an interior offensive lineman."
BossPerson1: "You're going to put KC at #1, lets get the people talking!"
Writer1: "/sigh"
The explanation behind KC being #1 is also horrible. They create $18 million of cap space by cutting their two starting tackles (one elite and one good) and use that space for Joe Thuney. This was done to fix their "crumbling" offense line, which was caused by losing their tackles in the first place. Also, they tried but failed to get Trent Williams, so another good move for the Chiefs???

If they're gonna rank KC #1 over the Bucs, at least just make the explanation "Patrick Mahomes" and move on.

I had figured around 15, team improved from last year with an easier schedule. If they trade for a qb they would move up, if they draft one, stay about there.
They were ranked 15 last year, so they don’t want to get burnt again

Krafty Bobs team should be "in it" longer than last year, but there are still gaps as wide as the Grand Canyon between the Pats and the top clubs in the AFC. Cam Newton, in the same offense as last year, is not a viable NFL starting QB. Perhaps Skippy changes it up and might actually throw the ball inside the red zone, but last year's Bay State League Herget Offense ain't gonna cut it

Vegas sets their odds based on where the money is going, not who they think is most likely to win. The Pats get a lot of money going their direction because of the fanbase.

Wrong.

Definitely need a better QB. With Newton you are looking at maybe 9-10 wins as a ceiling if you ask me. But who knows because a lot depends on how well all those FA acquisitions pan out. Rarely do thwy all do as well as people hope, but anything is possible.

I think the improvements on Defense could carry us to a top 15 finish but the QB spot is concerning.. both for this year and beyond especially with SF moving up.

The power rankings having the Bucs below the Chiefs made sense before FA when it was assumed that the Bucs were gonna lose a bunch of key pieces and that the Chiefs would fix their o-line. But the Bucs kept everyone and the Chiefs still don’t have tackles. So it’s pretty dumb now.

I don’t get it either. Super bowl aside, the bucs roster overall looks superior to me unless I’m missing something.

So a thread about whether the Pats #19 ranking is fair triggers the Brady/Tampa fans on this “Patriots fans” site when they look at the top of the poll and the thread becomes Tompa Bay-centric. Shocker.

19 is too low, in my opinion.

So a thread about whether the Pats #19 ranking is fair triggers the Brady/Tampa fans on this “Patriots fans” site when they look at the top of the poll and the thread becomes Tompa Bay-centric. Shocker.

19 is too low, in my opinion.
The thread is about the ESPN power rankings, and the most controversial point (as intended) was to put the Chiefs over the Bucs. Most people here would probably be saying the same thing if the power rankings a year ago put the 49ers over the Chiefs. By the way, last year's power rankings kept the Chiefs at #1 and actually dropped the 49ers to #3 (Ravens were #2 and Patriots were #13). It's not Brady-centric to make that point.

Also, there's not much to discuss on the Patriots ranking - it's in the right range. Maybe 19 is a couple slots too low, but there's not really a big difference between 19 and 17 or 15

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back