PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Weddle released. Beast the sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If we can't get Mathieu I wouldn't mind a flyer on Weddle, depending on how much he wants to make. Never know what a guy embarking on what is probably his last contract will prioritize.

Brine the yeast!

Our top 3 safeties are all within the top 14 cap hits for the entire team. Someone would have to go + Weddle would have to agree to a deal around 3m a year or so. I wouldn’t mind seeing it happen, but it feels like a long shot.

I have always liked Weddle and would not mind having him in the team on a friendly contract. Nevertheless he is 34 and we still need young players to replace DMac and Chung in the future.

Isn’t he retiring? Even if he isn’t we’re good at safety. Get younger, talent isn’t an issue right now.

He's said he would likely retire if released.

Yeah, it's already been covered, but I feel like if we're going to add a safety it should be through the draft, or try to find a Ninkovich/Van Noy type of player that can play ST for now but maybe can be coached up to a bigger role in a few years. Something that builds for the future. Weddle would be insurance against a McCourty or Chung injury or sudden decline, but that doesn't seem like a good use of our limited cap space.

Yeah, it's already been covered, but I feel like if we're going to add a safety it should be through the draft, or try to find a Ninkovich/Van Noy type of player that can play ST for now but maybe can be coached up to a bigger role in a few years. Something that builds for the future. Weddle would be insurance against a McCourty or Chung injury or sudden decline, but that doesn't seem like a good use of our limited cap space.

The ability to be a high quality ST player is a good observation. The fourth safety needs to be able to fill a slot on several of those teams, and do it well. Another old guy probably isn't the answer there. Good catch.

He’s playing next season.

Seems sort of odd to tout his Pro Bowl nods.

But maybe that’s just me drinking too much Pats kool-aid and feeling like a send-off message is not the place to pat oneself on the back.

Seems sort of odd to tout his Pro Bowl nods.

But maybe that’s just me drinking too much Pats kool-aid and feeling like a send-off message is not the place to pat oneself on the back.

Interesting that what reads to me like a guy saying 'thanks look at all I got to accomplish when I was with your team' reads to you like he's patting himself on the back.

Just seemed like a nice goodbye note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes