PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Encouraged by our DL so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
...But if our new front 7 is as inproved as it appears that trumps the downgrades at the other spots imo...
Our DL appears improved; the rest of the front 7 on the other hand...

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the improvement in the defense. I’d like to say again maybe three games into the season but as of now, I can’t find a reason to complain
The LBs' complete inability to cover anybody with a pulse was on full display, again, all...game...long.

And the DBs fighting for roster spots didn't cover themselves in glory either, especially Crossen, who was downright Putrid.

Our DL appears improved; the rest of the front 7 on the other hand...

Kyle van noy as your top lb vs Hightower as your top lb , huge difference. Kvn is ok as ur #2. Vs what we had last year. And bentley is looking like a solid addition to the group.

Kyle van noy as your top lb vs Hightower as your top lb , huge difference. Kvn is ok as ur #2. Vs what we had last year. And bentley is looking like a solid addition to the group.
I just posted in another thread Rivers also played LB in dime. I don’t know if that’s because they see him in that role or if it was just a matter of blitzing work being the focus.

If you expect LBs to cover man to man all over the field consistently you will find zero that can do it.
What I expect is, having at least a couple of LBs on the roster who can be seen on the same tv screen when RBs & TEs are running free, uncovered, Wide Feckin Open, on every...single...damn...play.

Davis is raw but has a lot of talent and play making ability. He is making the team.

What I expect is, having at least a couple of LBs on the roster who can be seen on the same tv screen when RBs & TEs are running free, uncovered, Wide Feckin Open, on every...single...damn...play.
Of course we both know that doesn’t happen and it’s just you being full of it.

The LBs' complete inability to cover anybody with a pulse was on full display, again, all...game...long.

And the DBs fighting for roster spots didn't cover themselves in glory either, especially Crossen, who was downright Putrid.

Bentley showed promising athleticism and ball skills/awareness on multiple occasions while in coverage.

Presumably you didn't see the first play from scrimmage when Bentley ran stride-for-stride with a RB (who was split out wide), and was in good coverage when the ball arrived and fell incomplete?

Or when he shadowed a TE on a corner route in the end zone, and reached a hand in to break up the pass?

Presumably you didn't see the first play from scrimmage when Bentley ran stride-for-stride with a RB (who was split out wide), and was in good coverage when the ball arrived and fell incomplete?

Or when he shadowed a TE on a corner route in the end zone, and reached a hand in to break up the pass?
I saw both plays, and while they showed an improvement over every other LB on the roster except for perhaps Marquise Flowers (who didn't play anyway), I am referring mostly to the crossing patterns that were being completed (or should've been completed) without anybody in the same area code, without the benefit of the sideline or end zone as extra defenders. Besides, coverage will not be the reason that Bentley will earn a living in the league - he was brought here to provide power & instincts defending the run, aka a bigger, smarter & better Elandon Roberts. What Bill also needed to do - and what he has needed to do for quite some time now - was to bring in a LB to provide speed and agility defending the pass, aka our version of Telvin Smith.

Looking good in the preseason means nothing. We've seen the D look great in the summer and stink once real games start and we've seen the D struggle in camp and excel in the regular season

Hightower healthy is a big help but many are overrating Bentley, Clayborn et al

I'm surprised to see Rivers looking strong, normally a first year injury does not exactly bode well for development.
If Rivers pans out it could alleviate a lot of concerns. We’re due to hit on a higher round pick, so fingers crossed. I’m very excited about his potential.

If Rivers pans out it could alleviate a lot of concerns. We’re due to hit on a higher round pick, so fingers crossed. I’m very excited about his potential.

Yeah it's hard to not get stoked over how damn good he looked in a lot of the replays I'm seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back