PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliot Wolf Press Conference

Very interesting note, Wolf did emphasize how the majority of franchise QB's in today's league were first round picks.
I got serious qb hunting vibes from that press conference. Mac & Zap are done. I also found it interesting that he referred to Onwenu as a core player and mentioned that they want Dugger back as well.

I liked everything I heard from this presser. Also confirmed that they will be using a more similar to GB draft philosophy, emphasizing value over fit.

Given GB's draft success over the years, I'll take it. They've done very well.

I got serious qb hunting vibes from that press conference. Mac & Zap are done. I also found it interesting that he referred to Onwenu as a core player and mentioned that they want Dugger back as well.
I think regardless of what they do this draft/free agency, they don't view any of the QB's on the roster as the QB of the future. They might roll with them for a year if they feel like they can't get anyone they believe in and can build elsewhere. But I doubt they are looking at this as a "let's fix Mac and Zappe"

I liked everything I heard from this presser. Also confirmed that they will be using a more similar to GB draft philosophy, emphasizing value over fit.

Given GB's draft success over the years, I'll take it. They've done very well.
On offense I think that's the way to go. Defenses are way too nerfed now and pure athleticism is going to beat out scheme most of the time.

Lot's of body language talk. Paraphrasing, but he did say "throwing your hands up in disgust" was a problem.

Mac's outta here.

My notes:

- Seems to confirm he is the de facto GM
- Says his actual title is still Director of Scouting
- Says they will handle QB situation internally and do what's best for the team
- Confirms they want to keep Mike Onwenu, says they view him as "a cornerstone" of the team
- Is asked what positions are strong in the draft; answers "it's a really good year for quarterbacks"
- Expands upon prior answer and says that he loves that most of the QBs in draft are "tough"
- Says they need to focus specifically on QBs "who can handle being the quarterback of the New England Patriots"
- Is asked what attribute he values most in QB; answers "being someone that your teammates want to play for"
- Did have a question about body language, mentioned that it's important, can't have "guys throwing their hands up in disgust"
- Says that they may use the franchise tag on Onwenu or Dugger, but that they are working to keep both
- Says that a key difference you will see now vs. Bill's approach is that there will be a much bigger emphasis on playing young players
- Asked about trading the #3 pick, says "all options are on the table"
- Is asked who has final say - it is himself - he says "it is a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone has to make the final call and that person is myself"
- Notes that most of the QBs in the league are 1st rounders, with only a few exceptions
- Is asked if they will spend aggressively in free agency - answers "we will be aggressive to help the team, take that however you want"
- Says he has been to 30 straight scouting combines (!!), has been going since he was 10 years old
- Says that Green Bay's approach to QBs is what has made them successful, scouting the right guys and letting them sit and learn
- Their "pitch to free agents" is that "this is a new era, we're heading in the right direction, we have tremendous leadership in Jerod Mayo and it will be special and exciting here"
- Elaborates in a question after that and says the pitch only does so much, players often are seeking the most money over other factors
- Asked about Robyn Glaser and her role, essentially says she is "chief legal counsel" and is handling background day to day tasks
- Confirms that they changed their grading system. Moving to a system that ranks players based on overall value. Says that the previous system ranked players based on their role and was overly nuanced and hard to understand. Feels that the new system will lead to players getting drafted in more appropriate slots.
- Says they will talk to their scouts more in the new system
- Defines "The Packer Way" as "draft and develop, extend your core performers from within"

- Elaborates in a question after that and says the pitch only does so much, players often are seeking the most money over other factors
Just wanted to emphasize this one, as it's been a topic of disagreement around here about attracting free agents without a solid QB.

My notes:

- Seems to confirm he is the de facto GM
- Says his actual title is still Director of Scouting
- Says they will handle QB situation internally and do what's best for the team
- Confirms they want to keep Mike Onwenu, says they view him as "a cornerstone" of the team
- Is asked what positions are strong in the draft; answers "it's a really good year for quarterbacks"
- Expands upon prior answer and says that he loves that most of the QBs in draft are "tough"
- Says they need to focus specifically on QBs "who can handle being the quarterback of the New England Patriots"
- Is asked what attribute he values most in QB; answers "being someone that your teammates want to play for"
- Did have a question about body language, mentioned that it's important, can't have "guys throwing their hands up in disgust"
- Says that they may use the franchise tag on Onwenu or Dugger, but that they are working to keep both
- Says that a key difference you will see now vs. Bill's approach is that there will be a much bigger emphasis on playing young players
- Asked about trading the #3 pick, says "all options are on the table"
- Is asked who has final say - it is himself - he says "it is a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone has to make the final call and that person is myself"
- Notes that most of the QBs in the league are 1st rounders, with only a few exceptions
- Is asked if they will spend aggressively in free agency - answers "we will be aggressive to help the team, take that however you want"
- Says he has been to 30 straight scouting combines (!!), has been going since he was 10 years old
- Says that Green Bay's approach to QBs is what has made them successful, scouting the right guys and letting them sit and learn
- Their "pitch to free agents" is that "this is a new era, we're heading in the right direction, we have tremendous leadership in Jerod Mayo and it will be special and exciting here"
- Asked about Robyn Glaser and her role, essentially says she is "chief legal counsel" and is handling background day to day tasks
- Confirms that they changed their grading system. Moving to a system that ranks players based on overall value. Says that the previous system ranked players based on their role and was overly nuanced and hard to understand. Feels that the new system will lead to players getting drafted in more appropriate slots.
- Says they will talk to their scouts more in the new system
- Defines "The Packer Way" as "draft and develop, extend your core performers from within"
He also once again re-iterated that ownership stays out of the football decisions. They may share an opinion but thats the extent of it. Great recap Ross.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back