PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliot Wolf Press Conference

Wilson is a soft d-bag. His personality will be off putting to many players on this team. He loves to act like a goody two shoes.
I hope they stay away from him and get someone a little more humble and tough.
Yeah I don't think Wilson fits with the locker room culture that they want to build.

My notes:

- Seems to confirm he is the de facto GM
- Says his actual title is still Director of Scouting
- Says they will handle QB situation internally and do what's best for the team
- Confirms they want to keep Mike Onwenu, says they view him as "a cornerstone" of the team
- Is asked what positions are strong in the draft; answers "it's a really good year for quarterbacks"
- Expands upon prior answer and says that he loves that most of the QBs in draft are "tough"
- Says they need to focus specifically on QBs "who can handle being the quarterback of the New England Patriots"
- Is asked what attribute he values most in QB; answers "being someone that your teammates want to play for"
- Did have a question about body language, mentioned that it's important, can't have "guys throwing their hands up in disgust"
- Says that they may use the franchise tag on Onwenu or Dugger, but that they are working to keep both
- Says that a key difference you will see now vs. Bill's approach is that there will be a much bigger emphasis on playing young players
- Asked about trading the #3 pick, says "all options are on the table"
- Is asked who has final say - it is himself - he says "it is a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone has to make the final call and that person is myself"
- Notes that most of the QBs in the league are 1st rounders, with only a few exceptions
- Is asked if they will spend aggressively in free agency - answers "we will be aggressive to help the team, take that however you want"
- Says he has been to 30 straight scouting combines (!!), has been going since he was 10 years old
- Says that Green Bay's approach to QBs is what has made them successful, scouting the right guys and letting them sit and learn
- Their "pitch to free agents" is that "this is a new era, we're heading in the right direction, we have tremendous leadership in Jerod Mayo and it will be special and exciting here"
- Elaborates in a question after that and says the pitch only does so much, players often are seeking the most money over other factors
- Asked about Robyn Glaser and her role, essentially says she is "chief legal counsel" and is handling background day to day tasks
- Confirms that they changed their grading system. Moving to a system that ranks players based on overall value. Says that the previous system ranked players based on their role and was overly nuanced and hard to understand. Feels that the new system will lead to players getting drafted in more appropriate slots.
- Says they will talk to their scouts more in the new system
- Defines "The Packer Way" as "draft and develop, extend your core performers from within"

I really like a lot of what he said. I could care less whether he and Mayo are more open and informative and interactive when it comes to the press. It’s irrelevant to the success of the team.

I love the fact that he plans to have more contact with the scouts and allow them to have more of a seat at the table when it comes to the draft. My love for Bill is well documented but it never made sense to me that he (reportedly) wasn’t more interested in the scouts’ opinions, given that they know the college players better than anyone in the personnel department. It was impossible for Bill to know as much about these players when he had three months to cover all of the prospects, compared to an area scout, or regional scout, who had been watching a smaller subset of players for 3 to 4 years in most cases.

Not only will including the scouts in the decision-making process hopefully help them retain their top scouts, but also potentially help them in terms of recruiting new scouting talent.

May only be of interest to me per the "When you look throughout the league, most of the quarterbacks are 1st rounders":

By QB rating this past season, 14 of the top 32 stat eligible QBs, 6 of the top 10, and the top 3 were drafted outside of the 1st Round. 3 were drafted in the 20s (late 1st).

Out of those top 32 eligible QB rating QBs, the 1st rounders had a 52.1% win percentage in the regular season. The ones drafted outside the 1st had a 51.1% win percentage.

(Rest of the 1st rounders: 18-17 for 51.4%. Rest of the outside 1sters: 21-37 for 36% - Note that there are a surprising number of udfa out there starting games.)

Out of anyone who started a game, Mason Rudolph (3rd) at 3-0 had the highest QB rating. Brock (7th) was 1st last year (5-0) and 1st again this year for eligibles (and 2nd to Rudolph if including all starters).

My notes:

- Seems to confirm he is the de facto GM
- Says his actual title is still Director of Scouting
- Says they will handle QB situation internally and do what's best for the team
- Confirms they want to keep Mike Onwenu, says they view him as "a cornerstone" of the team
- Is asked what positions are strong in the draft; answers "it's a really good year for quarterbacks"
- Expands upon prior answer and says that he loves that most of the QBs in draft are "tough"
- Says they need to focus specifically on QBs "who can handle being the quarterback of the New England Patriots"
- Is asked what attribute he values most in QB; answers "being someone that your teammates want to play for"
- Did have a question about body language, mentioned that it's important, can't have "guys throwing their hands up in disgust"
- Says that they may use the franchise tag on Onwenu or Dugger, but that they are working to keep both
- Says that a key difference you will see now vs. Bill's approach is that there will be a much bigger emphasis on playing young players
- Asked about trading the #3 pick, says "all options are on the table"
- Is asked who has final say - it is himself - he says "it is a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone has to make the final call and that person is myself"
- Notes that most of the QBs in the league are 1st rounders, with only a few exceptions
- Is asked if they will spend aggressively in free agency - answers "we will be aggressive to help the team, take that however you want"
- Says he has been to 30 straight scouting combines (!!), has been going since he was 10 years old
- Says that Green Bay's approach to QBs is what has made them successful, scouting the right guys and letting them sit and learn
- Their "pitch to free agents" is that "this is a new era, we're heading in the right direction, we have tremendous leadership in Jerod Mayo and it will be special and exciting here"
- Elaborates in a question after that and says the pitch only does so much, players often are seeking the most money over other factors
- Asked about Robyn Glaser and her role, essentially says she is "chief legal counsel" and is handling background day to day tasks
- Confirms that they changed their grading system. Moving to a system that ranks players based on overall value. Says that the previous system ranked players based on their role and was overly nuanced and hard to understand. Feels that the new system will lead to players getting drafted in more appropriate slots.
- Says they will talk to their scouts more in the new system
- Defines "The Packer Way" as "draft and develop, extend your core performers from within"
I love everything about it. Change in philosophy is much needed

That’s a good point.

I see things to like about all of the big 3 QBs, and they all have warts, including Williams.

Could Williams slide to 3?

Pat’s would have a tough choice in that case, and even better chance at getting great offers for the pick.
That's what I'm saying I know many have their doubts about Caleb Williams but if he's a poor man's Mahomes sign me up.

This makes me happy. At least it appears Wolf won't make the same mistake as Belichick if the Pats draft a QB #3 and he will build a support system around him and not ask him to make chicken salad out of chicken bleep when he isn't ready.

When you draft a QB in the first round, you need to do everything you to help him succeed. To be perfectly honest, that is a bigger priority in the short term than wins and making the playoffs. You nurture a QB and he might be able to carry your team to the playoffs and into being a contender in a few years.

I really like a lot of what he said. I could care less whether he and Mayo are more open and informative and interactive when it comes to the press. It’s irrelevant to the success of the team.

I love the fact that he plans to have more contact with the scouts and allow them to have more of a seat at the table when it comes to the draft. My love for Bill is well documented but it never made sense to me that he (reportedly) wasn’t more interested in the scouts’ opinions, given that they know the college players better than anyone in the personnel department. It was impossible for Bill to know as much about these players when he had three months to cover all of the prospects, compared to an area scout, or regional scout, who had been watching a smaller subset of players for 3 to 4 years in most cases.

Not only will including the scouts in the decision-making process hopefully help them retain their top scouts, but also potentially help them in terms of recruiting new scouting talent.
The interesting thing is that the Patriots have had some great scouts. Washington's new GM Adam Peters, who was the hottest commodity on the market this cycle, started out as a Patriots scout. They are doing something right there but then it went wrong somewhere along the line.

This is why I wasn't really bothered when Kraft said that they want to generally keep who they have in place and see how things play out. I think there was a good reason to be confident that they have good people and just need to return to a more fundamental approach.

This makes me happy. At least it appears Wolf won't make the same mistake as Belichick if the Pats draft a QB #3 and he will build a support system around him and not ask him to make chicken salad out of chicken bleep when he isn't ready.

When you draft a QB in the first round, you need to do everything you to help him succeed. To be perfectly honest, that is a bigger priority in the short term than wins and making the playoffs. You nurture a QB and he might be able to carry your team to the playoffs and into being a contender in a few years.

I am glad that Wolf is putting out the possibility of taking a QB at #3.

It is basic to at least let other teams know the Pats are considering that.

Good stuff. Nothing but positive vibes so far from the young man.

Reactions: Ian
According to Phil Perry, there was a secondary scrum after the main press conference I transcribed. Both the “hard ass” quote and the one about young QBs, which those quotes came from, I thought were interesting. Sounds like there was some internal frustration that extended beyond the players, which was notable.

But overall, I thought it was interesting to hear his philosophy on things and I do think it’s safe to say that Jones likely won’t survive the offseason. At least based on today’s comments.

Pbs Nature Wolf GIF by Nature on PBS

According to Phil Perry, there was a secondary scrum after the main press conference I transcribed. Both the “hard ass” quote and the one about young QBs, which those quotes came from, I thought were interesting. Sounds like there was some internal frustration that extended beyond the players, which was notable.

But overall, I thought it was interesting to hear his philosophy on things and I do think it’s safe to say that Jones likely won’t survive the offseason. At least based on today’s comments.
Sounds like 97 after Parcels left I bet everyone's pumped and jacked over there.

May only be of interest to me per the "When you look throughout the league, most of the quarterbacks are 1st rounders":

By QB rating this past season, 14 of the top 32 stat eligible QBs, 6 of the top 10, and the top 3 were drafted outside of the 1st Round. 3 were drafted in the 20s (late 1st).

Out of those top 32 eligible QB rating QBs, the 1st rounders had a 52.1% win percentage in the regular season. The ones drafted outside the 1st had a 51.1% win percentage.

(Rest of the 1st rounders: 18-17 for 51.4%. Rest of the outside 1sters: 21-37 for 36% - Note that there are a surprising number of udfa out there starting games.)

Out of anyone who started a game, Mason Rudolph (3rd) at 3-0 had the highest QB rating. Brock (7th) was 1st last year (5-0) and 1st again this year for eligibles (and 2nd to Rudolph if including all starters).
not only were many current starters picked below round 1, the real debate should be about whether top-4 QB picks are more successful than those picked later in round 1 (the decision the Pats face). There's been more than a few flameouts in the top 4, and even though a few have been successful, more of the better QB's were selected 5 to 32: Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson, Tua, Love, Rodgers. There's absolutely nothing that says that picking a QB in the top 4 guarantees anything. McCarthy and Nix may end up becoming the 2 best QB's of this draft.

If you could take any QB today from any team for the next 3 season I think most would take in some order:
Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Burrow, Love. All 7 are 1st round picks.
Could you argue Prescott in there? Maybe but I think by now most realize he is never going to be good enough to get you over the hump.

Those stats are interesting, but Statistics tell a story but not the whole story.
I think he meant the best QB's are first rounders. If you want to compete for playoffs every year it is best to have a top 10 QB. Top 10 QB's are predominately first rounders.

The Athletic ranked the QB's before 2023 season by talking to 50 coaches and talent evaluators in the NFL

The Only had 5 ranked as tier 1 Quarterback's.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers, Herbert (100% first round QB's)

Tier 2
Hurts, Jackson, Lawrence, Prescott, Stafford, Watson, Cousins. So 75% of top 12 were first rounders.

I'm pretty sure CJ Stroud would replace Cousins.
Watson would be replaced, probably by Love

SO basically, if you want a top 10 QB you almost have to draft him in the first round. You can luck into 1 after that but odds go way, way down.

If you could take any QB today from any team for the next 3 season I think most would take in some order:
Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Burrow, Love. All 7 are 1st round picks.
Could you argue Prescott in there? Maybe but I think by now most realize he is never going to be good enough to get you over the hump.

Those stats are interesting, but Statistics tell a story but not the whole story.
I think he meant the best QB's are first rounders. If you want to compete for playoffs every year it is best to have a top 10 QB. Top 10 QB's are predominately first rounders.

The Athletic ranked the QB's before 2023 season by talking to 50 coaches and talent evaluators in the NFL

Tier 2
Hurts, Jackson, Lawrence, Prescott, Stafford, Watson, Cousins. So 75% of top 12 were first rounders.

SO basically, if you want a top 10 QB you almost have to draft him in the first round. You can luck into 1 after that but odds go way, way down.
I don't think this takes anything away from your analysis but I don't Agree with leaving Allen in and taking Dak out the both should be out. At this point they are in very similar places imo I think either can still get over that hump but they've both played long enough with similar enough stats and playoff failures to be in the same spot. 1000000341.png

Tier 2

I think most agree there's a better chance of drafting a star QB in round 1 than any other round. But that doesn't speak to our question of whether to trade down 5-10 spots and draft a QB there instead of 3rd. There's certainly evidence we could strike gold in doing that, as Mahomes was picked 10th, Allen 7th, Herbert 6th, Watson 12th, Tua 5th, Rogers 24th, Love 26th, Jackson 32nd.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back