PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliot Wolf Press Conference

Very interesting note, Wolf did emphasize how the majority of franchise QB's in today's league were first round picks.
The numbers don't lie. We went over the stat that only 7 of 221 QBs selected after the 1st rd in the last 25 years have panned out.

The numbers don't lie. We went over the stat that only 7 of 221 QBs selected after the 1st rd in the last 25 years have panned out.
Did I miss something here?

That pin on his chest was shiny and distracting.

I am not against Double Dipping at QB with either Penix Jr and Rattler after a QB @ 3 just to make sure. :)

I am not against Double Dipping at QB with either Penix Jr and Rattler after a QB @ 3 just to make sure. :)
Like I said, 3% chance that pick helps you, and if 1st rounders are a 50/50 proposition, that means you cut the need for a latter rounder in half. So there's actually a 1.5% chance that a later QB pick will help you as anything other than a backup.

I think that Wolf's comments pretty much seal Mac's fate, but Zappe may still fit on the team. He is tough and showed good leadership, and physically he is a better fit for the new scheme. I don't think he's the long-term answer, but he may be allowed to compete with a veteran addition for the starting job while a drafted rookie like JJ McCarthy sits in year 1 (if we are following the Packers model like Wolf says, where a mid-1st QB is allowed to sit and develop).

Like I said, 3% chance that pick helps you, and if 1st rounders are a 50/50 proposition, that means you cut the need for a latter rounder in half. So there's actually a 1.5% chance that a later QB pick will help you as anything other than a backup.
Lert's hope this is similar to that 83 Draft that produced Elway - Marino and Kelly I am not sure which one the 2024 QB's I like the best. :cool:

What?
Stroud, Lawrence, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love is 6 guys in the last 3 years, so there was 1 in the last 22? Yet there was Mahomes, Luck, Goff?
Are we just talking Super Bowl wins or QB's that let you compete for a layoff every year? Super Bowl wins would be a very stupid way to judge it if that's what 7 of 221 is coming from?

We have 6 out of 14, a 42% hit rate on franchise QB's the last 3 years with all the advanced analytics.
It's still possible Young, Daniel Jones, and Fields could be franchise QB's.
So a 50% success rate is probably a good # these days.
Now if you back out and only take guys rated near Daniels/Maye and Williams the success rate is much higher.

I think that Wolf's comments pretty much seal Mac's fate, but Zappe may still fit on the team. He is tough and showed good leadership, and physically he is a better fit for the new scheme. I don't think he's the long-term answer, but he may be allowed to compete with a veteran addition for the starting job while a drafted rookie like JJ McCarthy sits in year 1 (if we are following the Packers model like Wolf says, where a mid-1st QB is allowed to sit and develop).
Hopefully not @ 3.

I didn't see it but from the comments I get the feeling they are going to sign a stopgap QB in free agency ( Brissett?)and draft one at #3 and let him sit for a year or so ala the Packers with Rodgers/Love to get adhusted to the NFL rather than throw them into the fire.

What?
Stroud, Lawrence, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love is 6 guys in the last 3 years, so there was 1 in the last 22? Yet there was Mahomes, Luck, Goff?
Are we just talking Super Bowl wins or QB's that let you compete for a layoff every year? Super Bowl wins would be a very stupid way to judge it if that's what 7 of 221 is coming from?

We have 6 out of 14, a 42% hit rate on franchise QB's the last 3 years with all the advanced analytics.
Now if you back out and only take guys rated near Daniels/Maye and Williams the success rate is much higher.
I get it but you might be pushing it on Daniel Mac Jones. :)

I didn't see it but from the comments I get the feeling they are going to sign a stopgap QB in free agency ( Brissett?)and draft one at #3 and let him sit for a year or so ala the Packers with Rodgers/Love to get adhusted to the NFL rather than throw them into the fire.
J Biscuit sucks we'll be Drafting Top 5 again.

I get it but you might be pushing it on Daniel Mac Jones. :)
I get it, and left him off originally, but 2022 was good and 2023 were injuries so it's possible, though not likely.

Lert's hope this is similar to that 83 Draft that produced Elway - Marino and Kelly I am not sure which one the 2024 QB's I like the best. :cool:
Hmmmmm, maybe not. Remember that O'Brien, Blackledge and Eason were the guys after Elway. Marino went second to last pick.

What?

I wrote AFTER the first round.

I got that sense as well but I would not be surprised to see them trade down a bit if they really like a guy like JJ McCarthy and think they can get him a few picks later and still pick up an extra 2nd to use on receiver/tackle/TE help.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back