PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliot Wolf Press Conference

I got that sense as well but I would not be surprised to see them trade down a bit if they really like a guy like JJ McCarthy and think they can get him a few picks later and still pick up an extra 2nd to use on receiver/tackle/TE help.
Welcome to my JJ bandwagon.
People say Alex Smith but I see some Aaron Rodgers there as well.

I liked everything I heard from this presser. Also confirmed that they will be using a more similar to GB draft philosophy, emphasizing value over fit.

Given GB's draft success over the years, I'll take it. They've done very well.
Agreed, wolf just gives off the vibes that he knows his stuff, and will get the talent this team needs to compete, it's a welcome breath of fresh air IMO.. I'm optimistic.

Ha Ha, well, reading comprehension is apparently not my strong suit LOL.
It's OK. Someone else did the same thing.

I think there's something to be said about using CAPs when we want to emphasize a word.

Thank goodness he'll be retired permanently.
I don't hear 1 thing on there that a player would react negatively to. Players above all else appreciate honesty from someone whose knowledge they respect, so they can learn, get better, compete better, and earn more.

Last edited:
I feel like the Aaron Hernandez pick really changed BB's philosophy to drafting only yes sir and choir boys instead of talent first, I remember him taking risks, Aaron H included. That had to have Kraft fingers on it.

Now they are changing. I hope Kraft let them do their job without interference.
Your absolutely right, need some Dawgs, some alphas, like we used to have brucschi, mc ginest, rodney, ty law, Malloy, players of that ilk..

Really sounds like they are drafting a QB. Just a question of how many they like and whether they have to stay to grab Daniels/Maye vs trading down for one of the next group of prospects.
I got the impression they like any of the top 3 at least.

I don't hear 1 thing on there that a player would react negatively to. Players above all else appreciate honesty from someone who's knowledge they respect, so they can learn, get better, compete better, and earn more.
Jack Jones did not take to coaching though. He said a few times, "This isn't how we did it in college..." I don't know when the Belichick interview with Dalio happened, but Jones made comments like that both this year and last year. If the interview took place before then, you can certainly see what Belichick is talking about.

Welcome to my JJ bandwagon.
People say Alex Smith but I see some Aaron Rodgers there as well.
If they are planning to let their QB sit then McCarthy makes sense as he is a guy who really would benefit from a year on the bench, both to better learn the game and to fill out/get stronger.

I dunno man, this is right out of his mouth.

I think Mayo's draft position is a big help to him. Hightower's too. The early round picks will come in and they'll get it from a guy who has been in their shoes. I think that's important to today's young 20-somethings, as opposed to Bill's "prove it" attitude in the above clip. An early round pick at a skill position is going to come with some swagger, something that Bill had no tolerance for.

It's going to be very different around here.

When I heard the report that Deebo and AJ came to their interviews together and their joking around was off-putting to Bill…

I’d’ve traded up to get both!!!!!!

The numbers don't lie. We went over the stat that only 7 of 221 QBs selected after the 1st rd in the last 25 years have panned out.
Sure, but most QBs drafted after the 1st are drafted to be back-ups who will barely see the field - and if they can’t perform exceptionally from the get-go, they probably get cut.

We have some guys like that. Barmore, Keion White, Peppers, Jennings, these guys really play mean. Especially Barmore and White.
Your right, I'd like more of those guys on offense particularly, peppers is my guy.. he reminds me so much of Rodney, locker room leader, leads by example on the field. He hits like a bull. Barmore and Peppers got snubbed for pro bowl consideration honors... I absolutely love all those guys you mentioned. We need to lock up Jennings that guy is a force. This defense to me reminds me so much of the early 2000s defense.

When I heard the report that Deebo and AJ came to their interviews together and their joking around was off-putting to Bill…
Sure... and that interview shows that. Mayo is not going be able to deal with that in a different manner. Bill just looked at them like "Look at these two fekkin' guys. They aren't the **** they think they are. This ain't Lafayette Community College. This is the fekkin' NFL."

My notes:

- Seems to confirm he is the de facto GM
- Says his actual title is still Director of Scouting
- Says they will handle QB situation internally and do what's best for the team
- Confirms they want to keep Mike Onwenu, says they view him as "a cornerstone" of the team
- Is asked what positions are strong in the draft; answers "it's a really good year for quarterbacks"
- Expands upon prior answer and says that he loves that most of the QBs in draft are "tough"
- Says they need to focus specifically on QBs "who can handle being the quarterback of the New England Patriots"
- Is asked what attribute he values most in QB; answers "being someone that your teammates want to play for"
- Did have a question about body language, mentioned that it's important, can't have "guys throwing their hands up in disgust"
- Says that they may use the franchise tag on Onwenu or Dugger, but that they are working to keep both
- Says that a key difference you will see now vs. Bill's approach is that there will be a much bigger emphasis on playing young players
- Asked about trading the #3 pick, says "all options are on the table"
- Is asked who has final say - it is himself - he says "it is a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone has to make the final call and that person is myself"
- Notes that most of the QBs in the league are 1st rounders, with only a few exceptions
- Is asked if they will spend aggressively in free agency - answers "we will be aggressive to help the team, take that however you want"
- Says he has been to 30 straight scouting combines (!!), has been going since he was 10 years old
- Says that Green Bay's approach to QBs is what has made them successful, scouting the right guys and letting them sit and learn
- Their "pitch to free agents" is that "this is a new era, we're heading in the right direction, we have tremendous leadership in Jerod Mayo and it will be special and exciting here"
- Elaborates in a question after that and says the pitch only does so much, players often are seeking the most money over other factors
- Asked about Robyn Glaser and her role, essentially says she is "chief legal counsel" and is handling background day to day tasks
- Confirms that they changed their grading system. Moving to a system that ranks players based on overall value. Says that the previous system ranked players based on their role and was overly nuanced and hard to understand. Feels that the new system will lead to players getting drafted in more appropriate slots.
- Says they will talk to their scouts more in the new system
- Defines "The Packer Way" as "draft and develop, extend your core performers from within"
Thanks for the recap. I really like his philosophy. Especially the focus on building through the draft, developing & retaining your own players.

If they are planning to let their QB sit then McCarthy makes sense as he is a guy who really would benefit from a year on the bench, both to better learn the game and to fill out/get stronger.
If that’s the route they take, i’m starting to come around to Ken’s idea of signing Russell Wilson. He’ll be cheaper because of the guaranteed salary from the Broncos and because he’s perceived as being on the decline, as opposed to Mayfield who increased his stock the last 2 months significantly. And while being perceived as in decline, he’s not Cam Newton washed up, and some of issues look more like a scheme fit with Payton. But he’s also good enough to fend off calls being benched and letting the rookie start, which would be very difficult with someone like Brissett as their bridge guy, who’s never had success as a starter.

If that’s the route they take, i’m starting to come around to Ken’s idea of signing Russell Wilson. He’ll be cheaper because of the guaranteed salary from the Broncos and because he’s perceived as being on the decline, as opposed to Mayfield who increased his stock the last 2 months significantly. And while being perceived as in decline, he’s not Cam Newton washed up, and some of issues look more like a scheme fit with Payton. But he’s also good enough to fend off calls being benched and letting the rookie start, which would be very difficult with someone like Brissett as their bridge guy, who’s never had success as a starter.
Wilson is a soft d-bag. His personality will be off putting to many players on this team. He loves to act like a goody two shoes.
I hope they stay away from him and get someone a little more humble and tough.

I liked everything I heard from this presser. Also confirmed that they will be using a more similar to GB draft philosophy, emphasizing value over fit.

Given GB's draft success over the years, I'll take it. They've done very well.
...and his dad is in the conversation of best GM/personnel man in league history. I'm sure he passed along a thing of two to Eliot.

Lert's hope this is similar to that 83 Draft that produced Elway - Marino and Kelly I am not sure which one the 2024 QB's I like the best. :cool:
That’s a good point.

I see things to like about all of the big 3 QBs, and they all have warts, including Williams.

Could Williams slide to 3?

Pat’s would have a tough choice in that case, and even better chance at getting great offers for the pick.

Usually I’d say “pass” BUT it’s impossible not to take into consideration that Wilson IS a functional NFL starter who would cost $1.5M because Denver is paying him no matter what.

Could build an awful lot around a QB that costs $1.5M and a rookie sitting behind him on a rookie salary for 5 yrs.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back