PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Edited title] Patriots gave Andrews offer which did not "entice" him - but both sides want to get a deal done

Contract games.
No more than 7 mill a year I hope.
His knowledge of our system makes him more valuable to us then other teams I would think.
Would rather have him than not but Bill would never overpay for him.

If their first offer was "enticing", it probably wouldn't be the smartest way to open negotiation.

I'm guessing the Pats' first offer to most players is a teensy bit like...

giphy.gif

;)

Thread title is a bit misleading. An offer made pre-free agency that isn't "enticing" just means it wasn't high enough for Andrews to forego the market. It doesn't mean they're far apart per se.

Contract games.
No more than 7 mill a year I hope.
His knowledge of our system makes him more valuable to us then other teams I would think.
Would rather have him than not but Bill would never overpay for him.

Yes. Nothing beyond 7M/yr or see ya David. Center is one of those weird ones where it's very critical yet you can possibly repeatedly find one with a mid/low round pick. More about brains than brawn.

Unless the Patriots decide they're pulling his offer to go sign Linsley instead as soon as free agent opens (I doubt it), there's almost nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain from hitting the market next week.

Sides are far apart until they ain't. This is how negotiations go a lot of time. Sides are far apart and then they come to an understanding at crunch time. I am betting a deal will be done.

Yes. Nothing beyond 7M/yr or see ya David. Center is one of those weird ones where it's very critical yet you can possibly repeatedly find one with a mid/low round pick. More about brains than brawn.
Going rate for a top 10 center is 9m to 12m... Andrews should be in the 9 to 10 million dollar range...

He's been great for us. I'd like to see him stay, but my biggest reason for that is for line continuity. Thuney is as good as gone, however, and there's bound to be some shuffling with the rest of the players. I think I'd turn to the draft. Quinn Meinerz, Landon ****erson, even Creed Humphrey seem like solid options at center, with guard flexibility.

We already have a lot invested into the OL.

This is what irks me about Bill. We have a ton of cap. Andrews is the lynch pin of that line and worth a top salary especially considering we are going to have a bridge QB or possibly a rookie playing. Offer the guy a decent deal. But Bill just can't it seems.

He's been great for us. I'd like to see him stay, but my biggest reason for that is for line continuity. Thuney is as good as gone, however, and there's bound to be some shuffling with the rest of the players. I think I'd turn to the draft. Quinn Meinerz, Landon ****erson, even Creed Humphrey seem like solid options at center, with guard flexibility.

Reamer, what round do you see the first Center potentially going off the board? As you mentioned, that could potentially be a good option for us.

I stick to the price assigned to andrews and if the price gets higher move on to plan B whether it be another FA or draft pick.

The only OL signed beyond this year are Mason, Onwenu, Herron, and Cajuste.
The fact that they only agreed on a 1 year deal with Brown is perplexing considering the amount of projected cap space in 2022.

Signing Wynn and Brown to 4 year extensions would be nice. Signing Thuney to a deal at 14-15M would be awesome because this line would be devastating in the run game, IMHO.

I would welcome someone like Meinerz who can be a C/G.. He'd be an excellent back-up and would help mitigate the loss of someone to injury.

This is what irks me about Bill. We have a ton of cap. Andrews is the lynch pin of that line and worth a top salary especially considering we are going to have a bridge QB or possibly a rookie playing. Offer the guy a decent deal. But Bill just can't it seems.
Exactly the thing I love about BB. He'd rather not overspend and more often than not, it works in his favour. BB's lack of sentiment in these dealings is why he keeps winning, while other one-year-winners fade away : they get all emo about their beloved contributors, break the bank and drop into oblivion.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back