PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman is a Pretty Good Football Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching a 7th round QB make the PATRIOTS 53 as a WR in one offseason made me think he's a lot more than your average player. Watching him play man coverage, he has the ridiculous kind of agility that it takes to be an NFL CB... if only he had the work ethic to improve at the position. :D

There is no reason to believe that he will ever play for a team other than the Pats.

I think Edelman could even be used to spy the QB in certain scenarios or if there's a fast QB like Vince Young or Mike Vick. He could also be lining up against fast RBs because he makes quick tackles and hasn't really missed a tackle recently.

I was also thinking the same thing. He was lining up as a LB probably to take away the explosive running game.

Edelman is a pretty good... defensive back. Maybe that is his true calling? Edelman put a pretty good lick on Young on the CB blitz, and he stopped Young from making it to the endzone on an open field tackle as well. The next troy brown conversion but we are converting him sooner so maybe he can make a permanent switch?

Oh and hey is it just me or did Ihedigbo look like he was making some plays out there!?

Interesting, and great as usual from you. Converting him to FS had never really crossed my mind, but it makes a tons of sense. They're teaching him how to tackle from scratch rather than have to deal with guys like Meriweather who learned incorrectly and could never relearn it the right way. He's got that QB experience that should help him read the field from the other side of the ball. And there'd be less flipping of the hips than at CB, although he'd definitely have to be decent at that. I like it, and with the lack of free agent and draft prospects this offseason, he could be that guy that steps up and fills that void.

Like the FS idea. Edes is made to play looking in at the QB. He has the perspective of a FS and showed today that he reads and anticipates QBs and reacts with football instincts to the ball or ballcarrier. I think recent safeties failed because despite film and coaching they failed to read the QB and offensive alignments correctly a sufficient % of the time.

Speaking of safeties add me to those who feel that Ihedigbo is an asset back there. Yah, he's been MIA on some big plays but he's showing that as he gains game experience those gaffs which happen to all players are less and less. He hits hard and is around the ball a lot.

Earlier this season I questioned the merit of what Edelman brought to the Patriots. Now, I wonder if he's become an indispensable part of the Patriots.

Well played.

The question is if everyone was healthy on both sides of the ball, where would he be? 5th corner? 4th WR? I think he is best utilized where he is. A very good PR and versatile backup player. I think he brings more utility to the team as a swing player to provide depth than if he was dedicated to one side or the other.

That being said, the fact we can even say that about ANY player at the pro level is pretty damn impressive.

It may be unlikely, but I am very strongly hoping that Edelman turns into a starting DB, and an above average one at that. It's so fun to have such a versatile player on your favorite team. It just feels so special to watch him make a play out there for the defense.

Quick question to those who commented on his hip movement while covering.... Is that something that can get better with more playing time? Is it possible that it's just not natural to him yet, and with more defensive reps at practice and in games that he will move more fluidly as he adjusts to all the mechanics of playing cornerback? Just curious!

Also one more thing that makes his performance these past couple of weeks even more fun.....this thread: Julian Edelman > Eric Smith - Jets Insider.com Forums

Warning: while the premise of that link should be enjoyable, following it will reveal a small handful of classless comments that may irritate/anger/annoy you! Just thought the title was funny.

Last edited:
BTW, a trip down memory lane to Edelman's call from BB when he was drafted:

"We don't know what you're going to play," Belichick told Edelman at the time. "But we know you can play football."

The question is if everyone was healthy on both sides of the ball, where would he be? 5th corner? 4th WR? I think he is best utilized where he is. A very good PR and versatile backup player. I think he brings more utility to the team as a swing player to provide depth than if he was dedicated to one side or the other.

That being said, the fact we can even say that about ANY player at the pro level is pretty damn impressive.

I agree that he provides valuable backup versatility and ST presence. As a Edelman backer, I for one was very glad that he finally broke one on the punt return last week, in hopes of proving himself.

I still think he could be a good kickoff returner too, but the lack of CB's at this present time currently prevents him from doing that.

I however, am going to be in the minority when stating that I don't think he will be moved to a CB permanently, in regards to next season. I think that he is a last ditch effort to keep the secondary afloat until it returns to some form of health. That could change though, if he continues to prove his worth; but I just have a hard time seeing Belichick using him full-time as a CB on next yr's roster. I do think that he will continue being a valuable and reletively cheap asset to the team in the future though.

Last edited:
He's a lot better DB than Troy Brown was, and maybe better than half the guys getting playing time right now. I agree with others suggesting he play safety. His tackling ability is way above average, he's got great instincts and good speed. And if he weren't playing such a valuable role defensively, he'd probably be getting reps at WR. Amazing versatility, can't say enough good things about his play lately.

I've been rooting for this kid to have a real shot since he joined the team, so it's great to see him getting some playing time however it comes. I think he's got a chance at being a really good WR, but is held back (rightly so) with all the playing time going to Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez right now. Frankly, I'd love to see him line up at outside WR and play down the field.

He's quick and fast and I can't see why he wouldn't excel somewhere in this offense. That being said, we need him on defense more right now so let him have at it!

He has turned into one of our better defensive backs.

He also blew up Tomlinson on a meaningless play at the end of the game, which has cost Tomlinson the next two games!

Seriously, he brought the wood a few times yesterday, he comes to hit on defense. It might be time to contenplate a full-time move to the defensive backfield. He is already a mainstay on Special Teams, but much like a reverse Devin Hester, he might be more helpful to the team on defense.......

Edelman has been great. Blanketed Jackson on one play and looked good tackling. Keep him at DB? lol

Seems like a pretty minor quarrel, but since you've made a point to press the issue . . . you got it. From the play-by-play:

4-11-PHI 19 :)13) 8-C.Henry punts 51 yards to NE 30, Center-46-J.Dorenbos. 11-J.Edelman to NE 29 for -1 yards (31-C.Marsh).

I recall that I wasn't thrilled with his decision-making on the play.

EDIT: Even though I was baited into this response, I don't mean for it to detract from my original comment that I am above-all impressed with the guy's heart. Not a hater by any stretch.
Hey, not looking for an argument either. I suspect we agree about this guy more than disagree. I guess I just took exception to the "knucklehead" term because I really think Edelman is a heads-up, savvy player. If he has gotten in minor trouble at times, I believe the root cause is a desire to do something positive and a well-reasoned belief in his own abilities.

So how many of you think it might happen a game where where he returns and INT for 6 a punt for 6 and catches a pass for 6 in thesame game of course.

I don't think it will happen but I would love for it to happen aganst the colts

I like his play. Reminds me a bit of Meriweather though on the way he taunts the other team's players sometimes and that's the only bad thing I have to say about him.

I like his play. Reminds me a bit of Meriweather though on the way he taunts the other team's players sometimes and that's the only bad thing I have to say about him.

I personally don't mind this... at the very least it shows he is not scarred or timid out there when playing DB

I personally don't mind this... at the very least it shows he is not scarred or timid out there when playing DB
I can't say everything for sure about Edelman, but I'm guessing there isn't much that scares the sh!t out of this guy on the football field.

Kevin Faulk and Brady, in addition to Edelman, were still playing that game despite the rest of the team's seeming quitting.

He's also been a playoff performer. In the Baltimore debacle he was probably the only guy on offense/ST that actually made plays and kept us alive in that game. It's just too bad not a single other player on offense could step up.

Then last year in the divisional round he had that huge punt return that should've led to a quick TD and put us in a decent situation to tie/win that game too but again the rest of the offense refused to show up.

I feel like he'll be a hero someday in one of these games, when you have a tight playoff battle one return can blow things open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back