PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles Fear Wentz Has Torn ACL

The Pats missed the playoffs in a tiebreaker that year. Season over? Don't gimme that. We had Law Firm in his prime, a good if aging defense, and an average quarterback that had led the team to a surprise 11-5 result. We coulda won a playoff game with that team, I'm pretty sure. Not as sure as I would be with Brady at the helm, but pretty sure.
Law Firm had a prime?

While I was watching that game from time to time, I happened to catch a comment by one of the guys in the booth, that mentioned that between his runs and drop backs, Wentz had been hit 18 times. And that was with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. I have no idea what the final number was.

Imagine if Brady got hit 18 times. Christ, he got hit 8 times and the local press wanted an investigation.

Well I have to say that the more I've seen Wentz the more I've been impressed. He's the real deal, and will likely be the real deal for a long time. He certainly is fun to watch. Hopefully he'll recover fully and learn to be a little more circumspect in the future.

I have been saying this in some of the Other Games threads this year. But the current crop of young QBs is way too reckless with the hits they are willing to take to get that third down or complete that throw. Wentz had so many highlights this year where he barely releases a ball before being hit or somehow get outs of a sure sack that I wonder if this just fed the recklessness in him a bit more.

There really is something to say about durability being as important for QBs as most of the usual attributes people are talking about. You gotta know when to take the sack, just slide or throw the ball away to live another day sometimes.

Stars are lining up to finally have Brady vs Rodgers super bowl. He’s coming back and they’ll sneak in.
I think Green Bay would have to win out to get in (against Carolina, MN and Detroit). Don't see it, let alone following that up with 3 more playoff road wins.

Awful year for injuries, the NFL needs to rethink their approach to training camp, this is a case of a injury by contact but anyway there is a good % of players who are not surviving the season.

While I was watching that game from time to time, I happened to catch a comment by one of the guys in the booth, that mentioned that between his runs and drop backs, Wentz had been hit 18 times. And that was with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. I have no idea what the final number was.

Imagine if Brady got hit 18 times. Christ, he got hit 8 times and the local press wanted an investigation.

Im pretty sure the OL coach would get fired(like after the 2015 AFCCG).

Awful year for injuries, the NFL needs to rethink their approach to training camp, this is a case of a injury by contact but anyway there is a good % of players who are not surviving the season.
More or less training camp?

Worst injury year I can remember for the league as a whole. The All IR team is getting better and better.

I just thank God that there has been less full contact practices to keep the players' bodies fresh.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
The Pats would likely be one of the top 3 SB favorites, even if disaster struck, and JG was at the helm. Worst case scenario, if they held JG till the end of the 2017 Season, and then move-on: They likely receive a late 3rd round if they kept JG, yet buy invaluable insurance for the 2017 season. Who cares about the difference between a late 3rd round pick, and an early 2nd round pick, if by receiving the SF second round Draft pick, you effectively end Super Bowl hopes for this season (and with a projected 13-3 +/- record), if calamity were to (hopefully not) occur?

I agree JG would have been a nice insurance policy but let’s not pretend the 2017 Pats are anything more than a one and done candidate without Brady.

Could be wrong but that “late 3rd round pick” is not set in stone and if we kept JG this year then the Gilmore signing means we get no comp pick for JG. Therefore losing JG for nothing.

Hmmm. Interesting. Is there a video of him walking into the bathroom in the morning to take a #2? I think we can get a lot out of a video like that.

There was no hit to the knee per se, he got sandwiched and wrenched. They were hard hits too. I didn't expect him to get up let alone stay in for a TD. Kid definitely has heart but maybe too much.

Hmmm. Interesting. Is there a video of him walking into the bathroom in the morning to take a #2? I think we can get a lot out of a video like that.
If they could get it, they would post it.

Hopefully the Wenz injury not as serious as the initial reports.

The unfortunate QB injury reinforces how the Patriots decided to play Russian Roulette, with their head-scratching move to ship Jimmy G., mid-season, to SF, for a second round draft pick. The Pats would likely be one of the top 3 SB favorites, even if disaster struck, and JG was at the helm. Worst case scenario, if they held JG till the end of the 2017 Season, and then move-on: They likely receive a late 3rd round if they kept JG, yet buy invaluable insurance for the 2017 season. Who cares about the difference between a late 3rd round pick, and an early 2nd round pick, if by receiving the SF second round Draft pick, you effectively end Super Bowl hopes for this season (and with a projected 13-3 +/- record), if calamity were to (hopefully not) occur?

I dont know often this narrative has to be proven ******** to finally stick.

The worst case would be that JG leaves and the Pats receive nothing in return because they signed a (or multiple) FA(s) that offset the loss of JG. Improbable ? Guess what would have happened with that Jamie Collins pick this offseason if we had not traded him at the deadline and then signed Gilmore ? Compensatory picks are anything but guaranteed and relying on them severely limits you in your FA approach.

Furthermore the difference between an end of the round pick in the third round and a very early second round pick are approx. 60 spots which pretty much is a difference of two full rounds.

The move was anything but headscratching unless you dont pay much attention to how things work.

There was no hit to the knee per se, he got sandwiched and wrenched. They were hard hits too. I didn't expect him to get up let alone stay in for a TD. Kid definitely has heart but maybe too much.
Esiason had some good commentary on him this am. He loves Wentz but in his opinion he needs to recognize opportunities and situations better in which he is not putting his body on the line. Sometimes a QB can't help it but most of the time he can. He referenced what Tom does (protections, falling down, quick throws, etc). Hopefully Wentz will learn that and have a long career.

Esiason had some good commentary on him this am. He loves Wentz but in his opinion he needs to recognize opportunities and situations better in which he is not putting his body on the line. Sometimes a QB can't help it but most of the time he can. He referenced what Tom does (protections, falling down, quick throws, etc). Hopefully Wentz will learn that and have a long career.

That's definitely one of the traits that separates veteran QBs from the young'uns. (Even Roethlisberger has learned it, finally.) It's not surprising -- undervaluing health risks is a defining trait of youth across the board, not just in football.

I saw it live, he didn' even celebrate the td, looked like he got destroyed.

After that play was called back, on a bogus call no less,Wentz actually threw for a TD! The guy is a stud but he has to play smarter.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back