Votes: 7 26.9%
  • yes, but book after Feb 4 flight

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • yes, but with a return ticket

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen becomes more valuable with the addition of Bennett.

#3 TEs are either pass catchers or blockers and he can keep the defense honest by being both (somewhat).

The cost is ridiculous, but you're stuck with him anyway.

I think the board can agree Allen has been a disappointment but it spoke volumes how they game planned him into the redzone offense so he could get a TD. I'm not saying they "threw him a bone" but because of his hard work and the respect the coaching staff has for him they kinda did.

Maybe Dwops finally received the message with the addition of Bennett that unless he actually, you know, catches a pass real soon, he could be facing the game day inactive list every week. Stuff about competition bringing out the best in players, etc.

Look, I'm glad to see him make a nice catch (a TD catch at that) but let's not pretend that his one catch suddenly erases 8 games of underperforming.

I'm happy that he made a positive contribution as well and hope it continues. But if we should be throwing a parade for him after one catch that just goes to show how low the bar has been set.

Look, I'm glad to see him make a nice catch (a TD catch at that) but let's not pretend that his one catch suddenly erases 8 games of underperforming.

I'm happy that he made a positive contribution as well and hope it continues. But if we should be throwing a parade for him after one catch that just goes to show how low the bar has been set.

it’s good to see him at least catch a pass.....beyond that, he’s gotten plenty of plays, so the coaches like his work.....he’s done well blocking and the team is playing well....maybe he will get more looks and hopefully he makes good on them

People need to stop soiling themselves when someone tries to get positive about something like this

Maybe Dwops finally received the message with the addition of Bennett that unless he actually, you know, catches a pass real soon, he could be facing the game day inactive list every week. Stuff about competition bringing out the best in players, etc.
Yes, that's it. He clearly hasn't been trying. At all.

I think the board can agree Allen has been a disappointment but it spoke volumes how they game planned him into the redzone offense so he could get a TD. I'm not saying they "threw him a bone" but because of his hard work and the respect the coaching staff has for him they kinda did.
I think he was included in the redzone offense because the Pats coaching staff noticed that with zero catches, opponents weren't assigning anyone to cover him.

He’s an adequate TE2 and strong TE3. The other players seem to like him. Why in God’s name do we need a whipping boy again?

He’s an adequate TE2 and strong TE3. The other players seem to like him. Why in God’s name do we need a whipping boy again?

Because the forum losers (and there are several) have never won anything in their lives. They always lose and they want others on their level. They are projecting their loser/negative ways here. You will notice that it is the same 6 or so posters that are never happy about anything. They look for anything to criticize about a player and never hope that they improve or add any value. They are all here when the pats are not doing well (they feed off of it) and are rarely around when things are going well. Gilmore sucks, Allen Sucks, we wont win, Kraft is cheap, BB cant draft, Soldier is a turnstyle, Dmac cant make plays, blah blah blah.....

Last edited:
People need to stop soiling themselves when someone tries to get positive about something like this

What is so bad about trying to give a little perspective to this 'I told you so' thread? Everyone is talking like he had a breakout game. The guy made one catch. If one catch qualifies as a breakout game for him (which it might) then that shows just how bad he has been if the standard is that low.

I want him to succeed just like anyone else, but it was one catch. James Develin and Philip Dorsett each had two catches last night. Should we start praise threads on them, too?

If we're going to make an "I told you so" thread it should be on Gilmore. That guy has been under scrutiny and had an impressive end to end game last night.

What is so bad about trying to give a little perspective to this 'I told you so' thread? Everyone is talking like he had a breakout game. The guy made one catch. If one catch qualifies as a breakout game for him (which it might) then that shows just how bad he has been if the standard is that low.

I want him to succeed just like anyone else, but it was one catch. James Develin and Philip Dorsett each had two catches last night. Should we start praise threads on them, too?

If we're going to make an "I told you so" thread it should be on Gilmore. That guy has been under scrutiny and had an impressive end to end game last night.

Bah......I got your perspective.....right here

There's a slight chance that Allen is going to blow up now that the pressure is off. He finally lost his v-card, and now he has all the confidence in the world.

7 for 85 and 2 TDs next week!

Okay...maybe not...

sorry for taking it that way. maybe too sensible on “i told you so's“? one catch was not the point. the point is he was doing a solid job as #2 blocking TE all year. it is somewhat ironic that a TD is needed to shed some light on what he's doing on 1/3 of snaps every game.

it was obviously frustrating for him so BB is naturally happy about it. but i doubt he thought he was crap before that or that he has lowered his standards for him.. guys who are not productive are quickly sent away here. what a production is for this team and BB sometimes vastly differs to media, fans expectations..

a small antidote to Allen crap threads/posts concentrating exclusively on his nonexistent receiving game (btw routes that help Gronk don't count there as well) shouldn't be too disturbing on a Pats fans site..

agreed on Gilmore, so by all means..

Last edited:
one catch was not the point. the point is he was doing a solid job as #2 blocking TE all year. it is somewhat ironic that a TD is needed to shed some light on what he's doing on 1/3 of snaps every game. it.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not someone who tends to watch or study blocking. I usually just follow the ball when I watch football.

I posted this exact comment in the Dwayne Allen thread and asked for people (who have watched the pats blocking) to comment on whether or not he has been an effective blocker. The majority of the responses seemed to indicate that he has been below average at that as well. I'm not saying this makes you wrong....after all, I haven't looked at it for myself, I just find it surprising given the other feedback I've received.

My concern with Allen has not actually been his hands. After all, of the 6 targets he received to this point I can think of at least 3 of them being bad passes. My bigger concern was the small target amount.

I took his six targets to mean one of the following........

1.) He's creating no separation from the defense.

or

2.) Brady doesn't trust him

or

3.) Both

With two targets in his last game it's a good sign to think that Brady hasn't just written him off completely.

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. With Marty back the pressure should be completely off. After all, no one is counting on Allen to really do anything anymore, so when he does it's a pleasant surprise.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not someone who tends to watch or study blocking. I usually just follow the ball when I watch football.

I posted this exact comment in the Dwayne Allen thread and asked for people (who have watched the pats blocking) to comment on whether or not he has been an effective blocker. The majority of the responses seemed to indicate that he has been below average at that as well. I'm not saying this makes you wrong....after all, I haven't looked at it for myself, I just find it surprising given the other feedback I've received.

My concern with Allen has not actually been his hands. After all, of the 6 targets he received to this point I can think of at least 3 of them being bad passes. My bigger concern was the small target amount.

I took his six targets to mean one of the following........

1.) He's creating no separation from the defense.

or

2.) Brady doesn't trust him

or

3.) Both

With two targets in his last game it's a good sign to think that Brady hasn't just written him off completely.

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. With Marty back the pressure should be completely off. After all, no one is counting on Allen to really do anything anymore, so when he does it's a pleasant surprise.

“We“ concentrated quite a bit on Allen's blocking in re-watch threads and found he is doing well IIRC. “We“ can be wrong of course but the fact that he is playing 30% of the snaps with healthy Gronk, active Fleming, Develin and J.Hollister + Bennett now should be a good indicator there is something BB is happy about.

I put illustration of his great blocking at the top of OP (before TD) for a reason. There you can see his monster block on very important 4th and short pushing away two orange bodies creating a big hole on the edge for Burkhead's conversion. Its not a good angle - in broadcast they showed close up slow motion that showed really impressive Allen's play. Probably it will be posted in re-watch thread when available.

Look, my expectations of his receiving game were the same as most fans so I have no stock in I told you so business here. I just want to acknowledge a good job apart from my expectations and share some understanding why he is on the team and playing some of the most significant snaps..

Best of all three worlds. Bennett gets limited snaps to nurse that shoulder, since Allen can more than handle the blocking duties.

Bennett can take some of the abuse off of Gronk.

And if the other teams see Allen and think: they won't throw to him...well, he was an inch from TWO TD catches in Denver.

Right now, the team is stacked at TE. That's a good thing, not a bad one.

ps. Hasn't been said that I've seen anywhere, but OT...Jordan Richards is playing the hybrid role pretty damned well.

I didn't see that as a drop - looked to me like the defender got his hands on it.

I didn't see the defender getting in there, it looked a bit more like Allen had stone like hands on that pass. But he made up for it later in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes