Dungy: Brady 6th best QB since 1978

Status
Not open for further replies.

16 Seasons
Nine AFCCG's
Seven SB's
Five Lombardi's

**** them all.
More impressively, it's actually 11 AFCCG's.

Beyond that, I agree with everything else you stated here, especially that last sentence.

• Peyton Manning went to the playoffs 15 times in his career. He won at least one game 7 times in those 15 appearances.
  • Joe Montana went to the playoffs 11 times in his career. He won at least one game 7 times in those 11 appearances.
  • John Elway went to the playoffs 10 times in his career. He won at least one game 6 times in those 10 appearance.
  • Aaron Rodgers has gone to the playoffs 9 times in his career, to date. He's won at least one game 5 times in those 9 appearances.
  • Dan Marino went to the playoffs 10 times in his career. He won at least one game 7 times in those 10 appearances.
  • Brett Favre went to the playoffs 12 times in his career. He won at least one game 9 times in those 12 appearances.
  • Steve Young went to the playoffs 11 times in his career. He won at least one game 9 times in those 11 appearances.
  • Drew Brees has gone to the playoffs 6 times in his career, to date. He's won at least one game 4 times in those 6 appearances.
  • Dan Fouts went to the playoffs 4 times in his career. He won at least one game 3 times in those 4 appearances.

Tom Brady has gone to the playoffs 14 times in his career, to date. He's won at least one game 12 times in those 14 appearances, meaning that, to date, nobody on the list has a better a/k/a lower one-and-done percentage. He's also been to the conference championship a record 11 times, including a record 6 in a row.

Tom Brady - 11 AFCCGs
Best of the other 9 (Favre, Young) - won at least one playoff game 9 times.

In fact, if Brady gets to the AFCCG game in one of the next three seasons, Only Manning will have had more playoff appearances than Brady will have had conference champoinship appearances.

#6?

Brilliant work there, Tony.

And Ricky Proehl Ram's receiver said it best before SB 36 and I Quote:
"Tonight A Dynasty Is Born"
He was right, Except it wasn't his Rams.

Funny side note: He also caught the last TD in the Carolina/Pats SB as well. Poor guy. :D

Here's another bit for Mr. Dungy to chew on. Brady currently has 8 playoff runs in which he's won 2 games or more. That means that, if he wins 2 playoff games just once more in his career, he will have won two games in a playoff season as often as the next closest on the list won even one game in a playoff season.

More impressively, it's actually 11 AFCCG's.

Beyond that, I agree with everything else you stated here, especially that last sentence.
Edited and corrected. They go to Championship games so often that I actually overlooked two lost games that would define the careers of many others in the League. Remember how Wrecks Ryan used to brag on his and the Sanchize going to the AFCG twice? For Brady and Belichick they're just another day at the office. Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Peyton Manning went to the playoffs 15 times in his career. He won at least one game 7 times in those 15 appearances.
  • Joe Montana went to the playoffs 11 times in his career. He won at least one game 7 times in those 11 appearances.
  • John Elway went to the playoffs 10 times in his career. He won at least one game 6 times in those 10 appearance.
  • Aaron Rodgers has gone to the playoffs 9 times in his career, to date. He's won at least one game 5 times in those 9 appearances.
  • Dan Marino went to the playoffs 10 times in his career. He won at least one game 7 times in those 10 appearances.
  • Brett Favre went to the playoffs 12 times in his career. He won at least one game 9 times in those 12 appearances.
  • Steve Young went to the playoffs 11 times in his career. He won at least one game 9 times in those 11 appearances.
  • Drew Brees has gone to the playoffs 6 times in his career, to date. He's won at least one game 4 times in those 6 appearances.
  • Dan Fouts went to the playoffs 4 times in his career. He won at least one game 3 times in those 4 appearances.
Tom Brady has gone to the playoffs 14 times in his career, to date. He's won at least one game 12 times in those 14 appearances, meaning that, to date, nobody on the list has a better a/k/a lower one-and-done percentage. He's also been to the conference championship a record 11 times, including a record 6 in a row.

Tom Brady - 11 AFCCGs
Best of the other 9 (Favre, Young) - won at least one playoff game 9 times.

In fact, if Brady gets to the AFCCG game in one of the next three seasons, Only Manning will have had more playoff appearances than Brady will have had conference champoinship appearances.

#6?

Brilliant work there, Tony.
I know you're making a different point, but, in addition, since 2011, he's taken his team to six consecutive AFCCG's, with a combined Post-season record over those years, against supposedly "the best teams left standing," of 11--4, or virtually another entire season.

Team of the '70s: Bradshaw's Steelers.
Team of the '80s: Montana's 49ers.
Team of the '90s: Aikman's Cowboys.
Team of the '00s: Brady's Patriots.
Team of the '10s: Brady's Patriots (so far).

Yeah, #6. Funny.

Regards,
Chris

It occurred to me that we're seeing this "Brady's not that good" theme now from Dungy, the guy from Football Outsiders and small time morons on twitter in anticipation of Brady finally showing his age and declining. That way, they can say "I saw it coming" or "Dungy saw it coming."

Am I being too paranoid here? Are these folks really just that biased and dumb?

Every year somebody has predicted Brady's demise since like 2013 or something when he had to throw to Aaron Dobson regularly and his numbers went down.

Eventually somebody will be "right" because aging is a real thing, but yeah it's just jackasses trying to get in front of the eventual "Brady is old now!" story and face-planting over and over.

Yeah Dungy and you're the best coach since '78. Sure.

And the best father of all time. Not to get personal or anything.

It occurred to me that we're seeing this "Brady's not that good" theme now from Dungy, the guy from Football Outsiders and small time morons on twitter in anticipation of Brady finally showing his age and declining. That way, they can say "I saw it coming" or "Dungy saw it coming."

Am I being too paranoid here? Are these folks really just that biased and dumb?
Well, they aren't talking about his performance right now, they're diminishing his career accomplishments, so, more likely it's some combination of shtick and jealousy.

Of course he's "one hell of a QB", nobody's going to argue with that.
But he's not yet in the GOAT discussion- and may never be.
There's only 2 QBs in that discussion- TB12 and Joe Cool. Period.For most non-Pats fans, Brady passed Montana after 2014. The few holdouts left went all in on TB after 2016. The vast majority of current and former players,coaches,execs plus knowledgeable fans and media all have TB #1, Montana #2.

Rodgers will have to maintain his level of play for a bunch more years AND win at least one more SB to be even considered with the top 2.
I'd put him right now in the top 10,ahead of manning,behind elway and young. Close to Marino. He's still got a ways to go.

As a Packer fan, I agree with you completely.

Rodgers is truly a great QB, and it's not just his sheer talent either, and anybody who wants to talk him down on this board is kidding themselves. Rodgers will not be in the GOAT discussion without more SB victories. We've been discussing this on our Packers board and almost all of us agree. Meanwhile, Packers defense had better show some serious improvement this year or I don't see a SB appearance for GB.

Patriots and Brady are the gold standard of the NFL right now and for the foreseeable future.

Yeah but where would you rate Dungy all time since 1978? To me that matters a lot more.

As a Packer fan, I agree with you completely.

Rodgers is truly a great QB, and it's not just his sheer talent either, and anybody who wants to talk him down on this board is kidding themselves. Rodgers will not be in the GOAT discussion without more SB victories. We've been discussing this on our Packers board and almost all of us agree. Meanwhile, Packers defense had better show some serious improvement this year or I don't see a SB appearance for GB.

Patriots and Brady are the gold standard of the NFL right now and for the foreseeable future.

This might be the best Pats team all time on paper. Worst case top 3 both O and D.
Of course, the games aren't played on paper. Team is deep, but too many key injuries at the wrong time can derail anyone.

Not a lot of serious comp in afc, Pitt,raiders broncos. All flawed teams.

Your boys have it much tougher. Atlanta,Dallas, Seattle,giants are all legit contenders along with the Pack.

One thing that's true about both Patriots and Packers: as long as they've had their current QBs,they've ALWAYS been contenders,even when their Ds haven't been great. Fortunately for us, we have what should be a really good defense to go along with the offense.

A Patriots/Packers SB would be entertaining, given the QBs.

Both Dungy and Po-lyin' made fools of themselves in this matter. Listening to SiriusXM this week about these two idiots, the reaction ranged from people laughing at them to those who just basically giggled and offered no comment out of (unwarranted) respect. They really showed how butt hurt they are about BB and TB hurting their legacies. F###### babies...

I kinda love that we've made made a cottage industry out of people who spent their whole careers getting the **** kicked out of them by Brady now get to 'objectively' frame Brady's legacy. Just throwing it out there, but maybe Dungy is a butthurt ***** who wouldn't know a good QB if it ****slapped him in the face. The guy got fired in part because he put all his eggs in the Trent Dilfer basket, after all. If you're going to listen to his opinion on QBs, you might as well take investment advice from someone who handed all his money to Bernie Madoff while you're at it.

Norv Turner:

If Peyton Manning had New England's defenses, he would be at the top of this list and he would be 5-2 or 6-1 in Super Bowls.

Oh really? That's a very interesting insight by one of the most comical coaches in NFL history. I'm sure given seven Super Bowl games, Manning would have done just as well, if not better, than Brady.

Try this: If any quarterback in the NFL had played in the postseason for the 2006 Colts or the 2015 Broncos, they would have won the Super Bowl in each of those two seasons.

Peyton Manning is hypothetically the best hypothetical quarterback of all hypothetically time. Meanwhile Brady is the actual GOAT in the sense that all the greatest-of-all-time **** he's done actually ****ing happened. Which--and call me crazy here, rein me in if this is a bridge too far--I think actually matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes