PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke traded to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can twist it however you want. A second round pick being given away for a pack of gum after never suiting up in a game is a waste. With your logic a team can draft a QB first overall every year and then when a QB on the roster turns out to be a good player that means that none of those other guys they took first were wasted picks.

Maybe if Dawson showed one iota of competence last year they wouldn't have drafted Joejuan Williams, or re-signed Jason McCourty. His own crappiness created the depth at corner. He wasn't just a victim of circumstance.

Indeed. It's always amusing to watch people defend things that we know the team itself wouldn't defend. "It's the draft. You hit on some. You miss on some." would be about all the defense the team would offer. And that would be the right response. "We're really good in round one, and we gamble in round two because having the G.O.A.T. at QB allows us the ability to overcome bad drafting to a degree that no other team in the free agency era has been able to" is a reasonable response. "But we found an undrafted guy who can play a little, so our blown pick is cancelled out" is not.

Sure, but that doesn't obviate the fact that it was still a miss. Your argument is essentially, "Swing for the fences/You win some, you lose some." That's fine; I don't disagree with the strategy. It's different from grading the choice itself, however. Dawson was a bad pick. Full stop.

We overcome the bad pick last year. Next year may be different. That, again, is a separate issue.

Of course it was a bad pick.

But I think Bill just views it differently or he wouldn't keep doing this. To use your analogy, he's swinging for the fences.

If a batter hits .333, do you scream about the strikeouts?

Hard to be a worse second round pick than Jordan Richards but Duke did his best.

Dude..... lots of competition. Ras-I Dowling, Cyrus Jones, Tavon Wilson. Each one a turkey.

But I think Bill just views it differently or he wouldn't keep doing this. To use your analogy, he's swinging for the fences.

In Boston, yes.

Why do we bother with drafting these CBs/Safeties so high? Pick lots of theM in lower rounds. Go high where we never miss. Like OL or RB or DE/DT or LB. Just stop drafting CBs and WRs and Safeties in 2nd round

Broncos could be a bottom 5 team so this move could be 50ish picks higher. Better than cutting him and getting nothing, was never making this roster

Plus this keeps him off of the Jets roster, where CB is so bad right now, he'd be an upgrade.

He wasn't just a victim of circumstance.

Unless you work for the Patriots, and I'm pretty sure you don't, you're in no position to know this.

I don’t mind high picks that bust as long as the team didn’t reach too far. I don’t know what film they watched but Dawson was not anything special in college, someone really messed up scouting him.

Unless you work for the Patriots, and I'm pretty sure you don't, you're in no position to know this.
giphy.gif

I would have to say that Ras-I Dowling was the worst. Did he even play?

Yes. Was a starter as a rookie, which seems to happen for the Pats about once a decade. He played two games, then injured hip and thigh and never recovered fully, although he did go on to play for three other NFL teams. He's now a college DB coach in Virginia, his home state.

If this helps you guys feel any better, I like to look at who the Pats could’ve drafted after their pick. Aside from Fred Warner, there’s nobody that jumps off of the chart so far in rounds 2-3. So no matter who they picked, it would’ve probably ended up the same result.

Credit to @captain stone as he didn’t like Dawson since the day he was drafted.

Last edited:
Not shocking he's not on the team, but after watching game film, surprised we received anything for him.

Not shocking he's not on the team, but after watching game film, surprised we received anything for him.
But where will your Bff, ER end up ? In NE or another team ?

But where will your Bff, ER end up ? In NE or another team ?

haha...hopefully on some other team, doubt we would be able to get a 7th for him though ;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes