PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke Dawson Returned To Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawson can play against the Titans so we'll see if he makes his debut there and see what we're looking at.

With the way Jones has held down the slot, I wouldn't expect to see Dawson get many defensive snaps even if he gets activated. Might even be a healthy scratch.

Rowe plays well when his match up is a big WR or a TE. Last week he was matched up on Gabriel. Not a fair match up. Against the right matchup he can be, and HAS been a very effective CB

Regardless its a moot point since I don't think we'll be seeing him for a few weeks... if at all.

As for the Duke, he reportedly was one of the best slot CB prospects coming out of college. Hopefullyhe's now fully healthy and over the next 3 weeks gets in enough work to become a contributor at that position.

BTW- now that he's back, I wonder who will get the OTHER IR return slot, Bentley (who has been traveling with the team and seen warming up before the Bears game) or Burkhead (who plays a position of need)?

Apparently, Rowe hasn't gotten enough suitable matchups, then. In 2017, he was targeted the fewest times per snap-played among all four CBs, allowed the highest completion rate (70%), the highest YPC (16.2), had the fewest tackles per snap-played, the lowest PD/INT rate, and the second worst TD rate (5% of tgts - only Butler was worse at 7.6%).

He's also been healthy and active for only 21 of 39 regular season games.
-----

Reiss seems convinced that Bentley won't be returning from his torn bicep this season. Reiss' most recent mention of Burkhead is that he appears to be making progress in his recovery from his "undefined" neck injury.

With the way Jones has held down the slot, I wouldn't expect to see Dawson get many defensive snaps even if he gets activated. Might even be a healthy scratch.

Yea we have a lot of CBs.

As a former Gator, I'm rooting for him. Understanding he's just a rookie, my hope is that he can eventually man the CB2 spot, solidify it, and let Jones kick back inside to the nickel role. That would also render Rowe to the bench (if he's even healthy enough to be on the sideline).

IIRC, there was some speculation that Dawson might transition to a more safety-ish role, than pure boundary defender.

JJ hasn't been exclusively playing the slot. He's played some boundary and some matchup coverage, too. Gilmore, JMac, DMac and Chung have also been playing all over the place. It's really pretty murky back there in the secondary these days, and I think that's what BB has been attempting to achieve for awhile now.

Rowe plays well when his match up is a big WR or a TE. Last week he was matched up on Gabriel. Not a fair match up. Against the right matchup he can be, and HAS been a very effective CB

Regardless its a moot point since I don't think we'll be seeing him for a few weeks... if at all.

As for the Duke, he reportedly was one of the best slot CB prospects coming out of college. Hopefullyhe's now fully healthy and over the next 3 weeks gets in enough work to become a contributor at that position.

BTW- now that he's back, I wonder who will get the OTHER IR return slot, Bentley (who has been traveling with the team and seen warming up before the Bears game) or Burkhead (who plays a position of need)?

That's a tough call. Pats need Burkhead but Bentley looked good. Oth, if you use it on burkhead, who knows how long B4 he's hurt again? Glad I'm not BB. Get a headache trying to decide that one.

Bentley seems unlikely with a bicep or tricep tear. I think it might be Rex Burkhead if his neck injury clears.

*** THE DUKE DAWSON ERA HAS BEGUN ***

does he possess Cat like quickness?
unforgiven-dukeofdeath.jpg

"Duck, I says."

get pumped

He has good acceleration and could be a real good hidden weapon in corner blitze packages. If he's activated, I can see Bill using a corner blitz with him in a game changing drive down, but what do i know :)

Anyone think he can grab a hold of CB2? Doesn't he seem slightly small?

He has good acceleration and could be a real good hidden weapon in corner blitze packages. If he's activated, I can see Bill using a corner blitz with him in a game changing drive down, but what do i know :)

Anyone think he can grab a hold of CB2? Doesn't he seem slightly small?
Despite Jason McCourty officially being listed at 5’11” to Dawson’s 5’10”, Dawson actually measured a quarter of an inch taller at their respective combines.

I wouldn’t hope for much impact this year after the time off, but he could be used in the slot if needed, he will need time in the system if he’s going to do what our safeties are tasked with. I don’t think he’s ready for the variations of the Chung role either.

He’s as top end fast with better acceleration version of DMac (at this point in his career).

Great ball skills
Solid anticipation ability - has played down in the box, in the slot, corner, safety.

Has to get better tackling more consistently with form for the NFL level but has great fluidity and awareness to where he doesn’t whiff.

This guy is fast, has great hands, and can tackle. It would be nice to see him come around and be available against the Packers.

Tackling highlights are highlights. I’d say he’s average for a rookie in the NFL. He’s got strength and fluidity to take down smaller backs and WRs with ease but will struggle in the run game which can be expected. I would not consider him an elite tackler at UF.

Overall he is a borderline elite college DB but where he fits best I’m not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes