PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

I'm not sure where the Daniels is not a great intermediate thrower comes from. A Guy on Reddit did 4 game breakdowns for all the top QB's, Daniels accuracy measured 53% of intermediate throws, Mccarthy 50%.
Daniels was way better with on platform throws and Mccarthy was way better with off platform throws.

Daniels, in a small sample size, had the highest accuracy on intermediate passes amongst all the top prospects.
Does not take into account who they are throwing to etc. but it does NOT show he has a weakness there.

Couple of additional stat comparisons form that thread:

Middle of the field accuracy (4 game samples)
Daniels: 28/34 (82.35%)
McCarthy: 19/26 (73.08%)
Maye: 33/46 (71.74%)
Nix: 39/56 (69.64%
Williams: 31/46 (67.39%)

Success vs Pressure (4 game sample)
McCarthy: 31/49 (63.27%)
Daniels: 35/56 (62.5%)
Nix: 30/54 (55.56%)
Maye: 33/68 (48.53%)
Williams: 42/88 (47.73%))

Average Depth of Throw (Full Season)
Maye: 11.0
Daniels: 10.5
McCarthy: 10.3
Williams: 9.2
Nix: 6.9
I saw some videos and was not so enamored . Again I am no draft guru , so take my leanings with a grain of salt .

For me the biggest knock is his build and mccarthy has a rocket. I feel he might be the josh allen of this batch . Will take 3 years to develop , but once he does he will be set .

Daniels could be the poor man's lamar and could possibly have a shorter career.

I'm not sure where the Daniels is not a great intermediate thrower comes from. A Guy on Reddit did 4 game breakdowns for all the top QB's, Daniels accuracy measured 53% of intermediate throws, Mccarthy 50%.
Daniels was way better with on platform throws and Mccarthy was way better with off platform throws.

Daniels, in a small sample size, had the highest accuracy on intermediate passes amongst all the top prospects.
Does not take into account who they are throwing to etc. but it does NOT show he has a weakness there.

Couple of additional stat comparisons from that thread:

This is a great example of someone making an argument supported by facts.

2. Daniels is an intriguing prospect but do not think he is a good fit for Patriots as I doubt he will be a good cold weather and snow QB

I'm going to disagree with #2 above. For example:

- Patrick Mahomes (KC) grew up in Texas, went to Texas Tech
- Josh Allen (Buffalo) grew up in California
- Joe Burrow (Cincinnati) went to LSU
- TB12 grew up in California
- Brett Favre (GB) grew up in Mississippi, went to Southern Miss
- Eli Manning (NJ) grew up in Mississippi, went to Ole Miss
- John Elway (Denver) grew up in Cal, went to Stanford
- Jim Kelly (Buffalo) went to Miami
- Aaron Rodgers (GB/NJ) grew up in California, went to Cal

Based on that logic, northern/cold weather teams should not draft any players from the SEC?

When Ray Perkins was the head coach of Tampa Bay, he stated that his preference was for players from the south, so they would be better acclimated to the heat and humidity in Tampa. His four-year record as coach of the Bucs was 19-41, never amassing more than five wins in a season.

I don't think a team should take the climate/average temperature of a player's college into account at all.

You mention Brady and Mahomes because they stand out.

Just wanting the top three QBs to be elite doesn’t make them so.

I am liking McCarthy, Penix not so much, but there are players at other positions that I like better than either of them, that is why I am a proponent of trading down and getting more high picks, along with the risk of McCarthy.

All of the QBs are risks, and there are good reasons to like McCarthy.
The more I am looking into the prospects
I am liking Maye and McCarthy alot more than the others.
They have the velocity on throws needed in NE. I want an Offense that can attack all parts of the field. Also when the weather starts becoming a factor then a strong arm is a must.
McCarthy played within the system. Not many throws but make no mistakes
But he has the skills and wheels to become successful.
If Maye is available then take him. Otherwise Trade down a little and take McCarthy and gain some much needed picks

They have the velocity on throws needed in NE. I want an Offense that can attack all parts of the field. Also when the weather starts becoming a factor then a strong arm is a must.
If Maye is available then take him. Otherwise Trade down a little and take McCarthy and gain some much needed picks
This is what I think happens, if Maye is there they move on him otherwise trade down for McCarthy, Nix, Fields.

I saw Bourne say he really liked Daniels, im torn on him and kind of hope Was takes him at 2.

AGREED!!!

This is what I think happens, if Maye is there they move on him otherwise trade down for McCarthy, Nix, Fields.

I saw Bourne say he really liked Daniels, im torn on him and kind of hope Was takes him at 2.
There is a lot to like about Daniels
He has a strong arm. Not the velocity that is needed. Also has superb wheels but takes to many body hits with that thin frame. That works in College. In the Pro’s those runs close up fast and those hits are more violent. Longevity becomes a concern.
There was a reason he avoided the middle of the field
Could have been his recievers just torched defenders deep
Or coaching knew he turned the ball over in the middle of field possibly because of arm strength velocity or not great at being able to read compressed coverage. On tape he seemed to have a lot of time to throw. Good OLine. He cannot expect that time in the NFL. That is also going to affect all the QB’s. But he thrived on the deep ball. When that’s not there and you have to do a lot of dump downs and short to intermediate routes to get the ball out quick. He did not excel in that area also.

The Combine will test this concern. It may be nothing and he will be a great prospect
Until then he needs to show velocity on throws or pick 1 of the 2 that have that velocity. Maye or McCarthy

Something tells me we will have both Jj and Maye available at 3. Commanders will take daniels

Something tells me we will have both Jj and Maye available at 3. Commanders will take daniels
That would be awesome, if we have JJ ranked higher, or them ranked equally, what scares me is trading down and missing both.

Would love to have the extra resources, but play it wrong you miss your franchise QB.
Almost have to play it conservative here and get your guy.
Question is could Washington trade in front of us and trade Maye or McCarthy for a ransom?

That would be awesome, if we have JJ ranked higher, or them ranked equally, what scares me is trading down and missing both.

Would love to have the extra resources, but play it wrong you miss your franchise QB.
Question is could Washington trade in front of us and trade Maye or McCarthy for a ransom?
If our QB whisperers are sold on a guy and he is there, then you have to take him and don’t play games. Other teams may see what the Pats see.

If not, then a small trade down may be worth it.

Last edited:
I just think McCarthy is going in the Top 15 as far as what pundits are saying
A lot of QB needy teams in Top of draft
Edit: If they like McCarthy just as much
Trade down to say 11 and grab McCarthy
Withn extra picks move up fir a LT
McCarthy is a lot closer to Daniels than fans want to admit. He's going to have multiple teams in on him like LAR, Vikings etc bc hes a perfect fit there

Couple of additional stat comparisons from that thread:

Unless you're watching the games yourself you'll always be able to throw stuff like this out there. Who were the games against? Type of defense the were facing? 3rd or 4th quarter? What was the score?

I'm not casting doubt on the veracity but a 4 game sample size for a 5th year SR isn't really moving the needle for me.

You should post the link though. I'm going to start a QB only thread. Hopefully just analysis and stuff like this to go over.

If you have then graded out pretty even then you make a pick at 3
Other teams will most likely have the same board and move up to get them

I doubt Washington trades. Kingsbury had to be promised a QB other than Howell
He has a choice to pick from every QB not named Williams
Just like you stated, they could be shut out with a trade down

If Washington trades out from in front of us then they risk missing THEIR guy too.

Nix in second or end of first?
Penix or Rattler in the third?
If they don't take Maye or Daniels, take McCarthy in the middle or end of 1st (trade a pick or picks from 2025 Draft). I'm not enamored with Nix. I'd rather take Rattler in the 3rd Round. I don't want Penix. But, that's just my humble opinion.

He stays in the pocket more than guys like Murray or Vick or Lamar when he came out.
He truthfully would rather throw first. Even when he leaves the pocket his eyes are downfield wanting to throw.
If he sees a seam he takes off. Better learn to slide
I think he is coachable. He improved every season. He has a high floor and ceiling
But he does have a reluctance to throw to middle of field which is concerning. A must in NFL
Yes my guess is he is 206-210. He needs 10-15 more pounds on that frame.
He did gain 15 pounds after he left Arizona State, needs to do it again
Still torn on what to do at #3. If we get a haul on a desperate needy team. Then I would jump at it
But Daniels at 3 is looking OK. Combine and Pro Days will tell
Starting to look into Maye. Did not think he would be there but Daniels could WoW at Combine and Pro Day
I think some team picking ahead of us could view Daniels as being better for them in terms of the offense they want to run (or whatever other reasons). That would place Maye there at #3 for us. Maye has the size, arm, and mobility to play in pretty much any system. It's just a matter of building up talent on the rest of the offense and solid coaching (which we should do anyway regardless of which QB we draft). He'll also only be 22 as a rookie and can sit a year or two, and still be young when he starts.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back