PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. I do not think he will be there. I suspect bears will take Maye and Commanders take Williams
2. Daniels is an intriguing prospect but do not think he is a good fit for Patriots as I doubt he will be a good cold weather and snow QB
3. I think Maye (like Josh Williams) will be more reliable in the snow and cold weather
4. I would even consider trading up to 2 or 1 to get Maye, even if it meant trading next years #1
5. I do not believe Baker Mayfield will leave Tampa Bay based on what he has said. That does not leave a whole lot in the free agent pool to go after if Pats decide they want o trade down and pick an OL
6. If they do trade down I would not want to go lower than 7 and would want them to take Alt or the Penn State guy
7. Picking a WR in the top 10 when you do not have a QB or an OL is unwise
8. I think Bears will surprise everyone and take Maye at 1
9. Go NINERS!!!!

I think Maye drops to Patriots anyhow. I can't imagine the Commanders will take back to back North Carolina QB's. Kingsbury seems to enjoy coaching the same style guys as he's had dealings with, Mahomes, Murray and Williams. That sort of points towards Daniels at #2 if Bears take Caleb at #1.

Last edited:
1. I do not think he will be there. I suspect bears will take Maye and Commanders take Williams
2. Daniels is an intriguing prospect but do not think he is a good fit for Patriots as I doubt he will be a good cold weather and snow QB
3. I think Maye (like Josh Williams) will be more reliable in the snow and cold weather
4. I would even consider trading up to 2 or 1 to get Maye, even if it meant trading next years #1
5. I do not believe Baker Mayfield will leave Tampa Bay based on what he has said. That does not leave a whole lot in the free agent pool to go after if Pats decide they want o trade down and pick an OL
6. If they do trade down I would not want to go lower than 7 and would want them to take Alt or the Penn State guy
7. Picking a WR in the top 10 when you do not have a QB or an OL is unwise
8. I think Bears will surprise everyone and take Maye at 1
9. Go NINERS!!!!
I think Williams goes #1 all day (Caleb not Josh) not being fresh, I’m sure it was a brain fart
I think bad weather is better suited for Maye.
Just read that Kingsbury coached Williams but moving up would be too costly. He also has a great relationship with HC of NC which would have all the info on Maye.
Daniels I like for he so many outstanding traits. I am doubtful for the reports that he does not throw to middle of the field. Also not as accurate on Short and intermediate throws. He also would need to not try and run through defenders. First off those running lanes close up a lot faster in the NFL, and they will make you pay

Rather have Marvin or Alt myself. I think those guys are going to do more for whatever QB we have back there. That and I don't feel any of the 'top' QBs are worth the #3 pick.

Williams probably won't fight being taken by the Bears given they are a big market, but I'd like to see a top pick pull an Elway or Manning to shake up the draft. Too many top draft picks don't do their homework on these organizations and are completely unware how dysfunctional or incapable their coaching staff's are. They end up paying for it in the end.

I think Maye drops to Patriots anyhow. I can't imagine the Commanders will take back to back North Carolina QB's. Kingsbury seems to enjoy coaching the same style guys as he's had dealings with Mahomes, Murray & Williams. That sorta points towards Daniels at #2 if Bears take Caleb at #1.
Maye being there at #3 would be the best possible pick for us.

Rather have Marvin or Alt myself. I think those guys are going to do more for whatever QB we have back there. That and I don't feel any of the 'top' QBs are worth the #3 pick.
I would not take Alt, or any OT #3 overall. You can get him or the other top OT by trading back.

I think Williams goes #1 all day (Caleb not Josh) not being fresh, I’m sure it was a brain fart
I think bad weather is better suited for Maye.
Just read that Kingsbury coached Williams but moving up would be too costly. He also has a great relationship with HC of NC which would have all the info on Maye.
Daniels I like for he so many outstanding traits. I am doubtful for the reports that he does not throw to middle of the field. Also not as accurate on Short and intermediate throws. He also would need to not try and run through defenders. First off those running lanes close up a lot faster in the NFL, and they will make you pay
Especially considering that he's only 210 pounds at 6'4 (if he even weighs that much). He would need to be around 220 at 6'4 and even then, not be a RB that sometimes throws the ball. He should learn to use his athletic ability to by time like Aaron Rodgers did in his prime.

Especially considering that he's only 210 pounds at 6'4 (if he even weighs that much). He would need to be around 220 at 6'4 and even then, not be a RB that sometimes throws the ball. He should learn to use his athletic ability to by time like Aaron Rodgers did in his prime.
He stays in the pocket more than guys like Murray or Vick or Lamar when he came out.
He truthfully would rather throw first. Even when he leaves the pocket his eyes are downfield wanting to throw.
If he sees a seam he takes off. Better learn to slide
I think he is coachable. He improved every season. He has a high floor and ceiling
But he does have a reluctance to throw to middle of field which is concerning. A must in NFL
Yes my guess is he is 206-210. He needs 10-15 more pounds on that frame.
He did gain 15 pounds after he left Arizona State, needs to do it again
Still torn on what to do at #3. If we get a haul on a desperate needy team. Then I would jump at it
But Daniels at 3 is looking OK. Combine and Pro Days will tell
Starting to look into Maye. Did not think he would be there but Daniels could WoW at Combine and Pro Day

He stays in the pocket more than guys like Murray or Vick or Lamar when he came out.
He truthfully would rather throw first. Even when he leaves the pocket his eyes are downfield wanting to throw.
If he sees a seam he takes off. Better learn to slide
I think he is coachable. He improved every season. He has a high floor and ceiling
But he does have a reluctance to throw to middle of field which is concerning. A must in NFL
Yes my guess is he is 206-210. He needs 10-15 more pounds on that frame.
He did gain 15 pounds after he left Arizona State, needs to do it again
Still torn on what to do at #3. If we get a haul on a desperate needy team. Then I would jump at it
But Daniels at 3 is looking OK. Combine and Pro Days will tell
Starting to look into Maye. Did not think he would be there but Daniels could WoW at Combine and Pro Day
I've stated previously that if any of the two teams drafting before us just like Daniels style or perceived upside more than Maye, then Maye would be there at #3. If so, we might not see a better prospect (with the right coaching and a build up of the offense while he sits a year or two) in the next draft or two. Your assessment of Daniels is pretty good though and in line with what I've been seeing as well. There seems to be a debate regarding Daniels arm strength, that just because he can throw deep, his arm strength is nowhere near Maye or Williams (which might take into account his lack of throws to the middle of the field as you mentioned. You also want a QB to hit the quick slants and sideline throws that Brady excelled at. A QB needs excellent velocity and accuracy on those throws (which TB had, even though TB wasn't an elite overall arm talent). Maye has a cannon for an arm, and already has the size and strength. He's also mobile and will probably even run a faster 40 time than Josh Allen. And, he put up great numbers despite having a subpar OL, and maybe only one decent WR. Nice breakdown of Daniels though! I hope we get Maye and build an OL and weapons while he sits and learns (like the Bengals did and are doing with Burrow).

Its hard to really botch this to be honest. I mean yes the guy we take can bust but its tough to do something dumb here. Honestly fine with most scenarios presented as long as the top 2 picks are used on qb/wr/ot. Normally id say don’t force picks based on need but the talent pool is pretty deep at all 3 where at #35 you likely wont need to reach on anything. Need plus value = no brainer.

At # 3:

A. Take a swing on maye or daniels. I like both in their own way.

B. Take mhj. More of a sure thing and if any of McCarthy/nix/penix make it past the rams at 19 they should be available at 35.

B. Trade down to slot 6-8 is acceptable to me if you are getting a first in return and grabbing an ot or nabers. If anything less than a first gotta swing on the qb or mhj.

I wouldn’t worry about not wanting to take any position in particular before youre set elsewhere. Get the best player you can at any of the 3, one pick is not going to solve it all no matter who it is. you fill them one by one by getting the best logical choice at whatever selection / signing/ trade it is. If it takes multiple offseasons so be it. The only exception id see to this is if maye or Caleb are somehow there at 3, then you really can’t pass up either

Last edited:
Its hard to really botch this to be honest. I mean yes the guy we take can bust but its tough to do something dumb here. Honestly fine with most scenarios presented as long as the top 2 picks are used on qb/wr/ot. Normally id say don’t force picks based on need but the talent pool is pretty deep at all 3 where at #35 you likely wont need to reach on anything. Need plus value = no brainer.

At # 3:

A. Take a swing on maye or daniels. I like both in their own way.

B. Take mhj. More of a sure thing and if any of McCarthy/nix/penix make it past the rams at 19 they should be available at 35.

B. Trade down to slot 6-8 is acceptable to me if you are getting a first in return and grabbing an ot or nabers. If anything less than a first gotta swing on the qb or mhj.

I wouldn’t worry about not wanting to take any position in particular before youre set elsewhere. Get the best player you can at any of the 3, one pick is not going to solve it all no matter who it is. you hafta fill them one by one by getting the best logical choice at whatever selection / signing/ trade it is. The only exception id see to this is if maye or Caleb are somehow there at 3, then you really can’t pass up either
Would prefer the following:
#1 Drake Maye is there at #3, draft him and sit him a year while building up the rest of the offense.
#2 Daniels is there at #3 because Maye was drafted already, draft him if he can get up to 220 pounds and has a stronger arm than some analyst's are saying and sit him a year while building up the rest of the offense.
#3 Williams and Maye are gone and you don't believe in Daniels, so you trade back and add one of the top 2 OT's and use the extra pick to trade back into the first round to grab McCarthy and sit him a year while building up the rest of the offense. And as far as the rest of the draft is concerned, add talent on offense and wherever else that you can after the offense has been given a good infusing of talent to build upon.

Last edited:
I think Maye drops to Patriots anyhow. I can't imagine the Commanders will take back to back North Carolina QB's. Kingsbury seems to enjoy coaching the same style guys as he's had dealings with Mahomes, Murray & Williams. That sorta points towards Daniels at #2 if Bears take Caleb at #1.
Hope you are right

Would prefer the following:
#1 Drake Maye is there at #3, draft him and sit him a year while building up the rest of the offense.
#2 Daniels is there at #3 because Maye was drafted already, draft him if he can get up to 220 pounds and has a stronger arm than some analyst's are saying and sit him a year while building up the rest of the offense.
#3 Williams and Maye are gone and you don't believe in Daniels, so you trade back and add one of the top 2 OT's and use the extra pick to trade back into the first round to grab McCarthy and sit him a year while building up the rest of the offense. And as far as the rest of the draft is concerned, add talent on offense and wherever else that you can after the offense has been given a good infusing of talent to build upon.
I just think McCarthy is going in the Top 15 as far as what pundits are saying
A lot of QB needy teams in Top of draft
Edit: If they like McCarthy just as much
Trade down to say 11 and grab McCarthy
Withn extra picks move up fir a LT

Last edited:
Or use the extra pick on the OT in the original slot.

Outside of Alt and Fashsnu there still seems to be really good depth at OT.

Why waste a prime pick moving up?

Last edited:
I'm cool with any of Williams/Maye/Daniels/Harrison Jr. If they somehow manage to pull off a Tatum-esque tradeback where they still get their guy then of course that's even better.

I do not hate that!

Should be in the Draft Forum.
ghows-TH-35d33c90-e492-4b42-aa18-70f81b52e723-51154ded.jpeg

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick