PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

McCarthy weighs 202 lbs very slight frame.

1. I do not think he will be there. I suspect bears will take Maye and Commanders take Williams
2. Daniels is an intriguing prospect but do not think he is a good fit for Patriots as I doubt he will be a good cold weather and snow QB
3. I think Maye (like Josh Williams) will be more reliable in the snow and cold weather
4. I would even consider trading up to 2 or 1 to get Maye, even if it meant trading next years #1
5. I do not believe Baker Mayfield will leave Tampa Bay based on what he has said. That does not leave a whole lot in the free agent pool to go after if Pats decide they want o trade down and pick an OL
6. If they do trade down I would not want to go lower than 7 and would want them to take Alt or the Penn State guy
7. Picking a WR in the top 10 when you do not have a QB or an OL is unwise
8. I think Bears will surprise everyone and take Maye at 1
9. Go NINERS!!!!
or CHI may trade the pick to someone else who may pick Maye at 1

I have been watching tons of cut ups of the QB's and I have also watched alot of Browns football to understand that type of WCO. I watched the cut ups with the style of offense in mind, I assume that AVP will use that offense or something very similar. I am ranking the QB's based on how I think they would fit with AVP. I am leaving Caleb out because I think he will be gone at 3.

Maye, McCarty, Daniels, Nix. I stopped after those four because I don't like Penix at all or Pratt

Maye has the size of a Burrow, Allen Mahomes. I would need to know about his competitiveness. McCarthy is too small IMO.
McCarthy 6'3", 202 lbs
Mahomes 6'2", 220 lbs
Burrow 6'4", 215 lbs

If McCarthy can put on 15 lbs., he is only turned 21 two weeks ago, he will be basically the same as Burrows and Mahomes.

I was big on McCarthy like 2 months ago here in the forum ... I got snubbed on that opinion.
He can sit for 2 years ... sign a bridge veteran ... keep Zappe for the #2 ... McCarthy #3.

McCarthy 6'3", 202 lbs
Mahomes 6'2", 220 lbs
Burrow 6'4", 215 lbs

If McCarthy can put on 15 lbs., he is only turned 21 two weeks ago, he will be basically the same as Burrows and Mahomes.

IF being the operative word. Mac Jones, 6'3" 220lbs. As i Said about Maye it dep[ends on interviews. Physically the tools and size are there.

IF being the operative word. Mac Jones, 6'3" 220lbs. As i Said about Maye it dep[ends on interviews. Physically the tools and size are there.

Harbaugh speaks glowingly of McCarthy. His arm is OK, but I don't know if Harbaugh is just being nice or truthful.

I was big on McCarthy like 2 months ago here in the forum ... I got snubbed on that opinion.
He can sit for 2 years ... sign a bridge veteran ... keep Zappe for the #2 ... McCarthy #3.

We could trade down and get much needed extra picks if McCarthy is the real deal. I don't think McCarthy will last past 15 in R1. QBs never last long. McCarthy sitting for a year is OK, I doubt he would be behind Zappe.

This is the stuff of Beer Goggle influenced busted draft picks.

The SB should have no bearing on the Pats’ draft plans.

A panic pick of a QB is scary.
It is if said QB isn't high on their draft board. If they are you take him.

Can I get Maye?

I pray McCarthy isn’t drafted by NE, Mac 2.0 but maybe slightly better.

Harbaugh speaks glowingly of McCarthy. His arm is OK, but I don't know if Harbaugh is just being nice or truthful.
He’s for sure being biased, talking up his own player.

This !! Considering all risks trading down and getting Mccarthy at 8 is probably the riskier and safer option .

I am liking McCarthy more and more as opposed to daniels . We don't need a starter this year. So McCarthy can sit .
What has mccarthy shown that you like him more than daniels? McCarthy’s upside has similar upside than mac jones out of college to me
I think daniels has much more upside than mccarthy and daniels needs to sit too

Should be in the Draft Forum.

Disagree completely. Free agency and the Draft are the primary focus of every team from here until the end of April, so those topics belong in the main football forum. Once the offseason ends I think that is when those topics belong in their own forums, and the focus returns to the season at hand.

1. I do not think he will be there. I suspect bears will take Maye and Commanders take Williams
2. Daniels is an intriguing prospect but do not think he is a good fit for Patriots as I doubt he will be a good cold weather and snow QB
3. I think Maye (like Josh Williams) will be more reliable in the snow and cold weather
4. I would even consider trading up to 2 or 1 to get Maye, even if it meant trading next years #1
5. I do not believe Baker Mayfield will leave Tampa Bay based on what he has said. That does not leave a whole lot in the free agent pool to go after if Pats decide they want o trade down and pick an OL
6. If they do trade down I would not want to go lower than 7 and would want them to take Alt or the Penn State guy
7. Picking a WR in the top 10 when you do not have a QB or an OL is unwise
8. I think Bears will surprise everyone and take Maye at 1
9. Go NINERS!!!!

Jalen Hurts isn’t having any trouble with the weather in Philly, nor is Jordan Love having a problem in Green Bay, so I’m really not sure why you think it would be any different for Daniels in New England? Basically Sam you tried to make an argument for Maye being a better fit without ever making any points for why that is? Simply that you think Daniels would be “ less reliable,” and Maye “ more reliable” doesn’t make any points as to why that would be? And who is Josh Williams? And why would “ Josh Williams” be better in cold weather? Simply sayong “ because I think he would be better” is just a thought, and not an argument based upon facts.

Go back through each number you have beside your points and you will see that not one is based upon actual facts to support your “ argument.”

Last edited:
What has mccarthy shown that you like him more than daniels? McCarthy’s upside has similar upside than mac jones out of college to me
I think daniels has much more upside than mccarthy and daniels needs to sit too
Height, build, young age , arm strength , intermediate pass abilities. Low interception Rate, high difficult catch throw % . Morr potential .

Daniels - really worried about build and durability. He had 2 stud receivers . Not considered to be great at ibter mediate throws.

Height, build, young age , arm strength , intermediate pass abilities. Low interception Rate, high difficult catch throw % . Morr potential .

Daniels - really worried about build and durability. He had 2 stud receivers . Not considered to be great at ibter mediate throws.
I'm not sure where the Daniels is not a great intermediate thrower comes from. A Guy on Reddit did 4 game breakdowns for all the top QB's, Daniels accuracy measured 53% of intermediate throws, Mccarthy 50%.
Daniels was way better with on platform throws and Mccarthy was way better with off platform throws.

Daniels, in a small sample size, had the highest accuracy on intermediate passes amongst all the top prospects.
Does not take into account who they are throwing to etc. but it does NOT show he has a weakness there.

Couple of additional stat comparisons from that thread:

Middle of the field accuracy (4 game samples)
Daniels: 28/34 (82.35%)
McCarthy: 19/26 (73.08%)
Maye: 33/46 (71.74%)
Nix: 39/56 (69.64%
Williams: 31/46 (67.39%)

Success vs Pressure (4 game sample)
McCarthy: 31/49 (63.27%)
Daniels: 35/56 (62.5%)
Nix: 30/54 (55.56%)
Maye: 33/68 (48.53%)
Williams: 42/88 (47.73%))

Average Depth of Throw (Full Season)
Maye: 11.0
Daniels: 10.5
McCarthy: 10.3
Williams: 9.2
Nix: 6.9

Last edited:
IF being the operative word.

Jalen Hurts isn’t having any trouble with the weather in Philly, nor is Jordan Love having a problem in Green Bay, so I’m really not sure why you think it would be any different for Daniels in New England? Basically Sam you tried to make an argument for Maye being a better fit without ever making any points for why that is? Simply that you think Daniels would be “ less reliable,” and Maye “ more reliable” doesn’t make any points as to why that would be? And who is Josh Williams? And why would “ Josh Williams” be better in cold weather? Simply sayong “ because I think he would be better” is just a thought, and not an argument based upon facts.

Go back through each number you have beside your points and you will see that not one is based upon actual facts to support your “ argument.”

Love played his Ball at Utah State where the weather can be harsh. Much like the weather Josh Allen played in.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back