PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye on target passing

Hope I'm wrong, cuz i think we are going to take him in the 3 spot.
I think the Pats are going to shock the NFL (and this forum) by taking JJ, regardless of who is selected at 2. I don't know if Maye is a bust or not, but I didn't like the tape I watched. Some was spectacular (his arm, his toughness), but more wasn't (his fundamentals, his accuracy, his processing). I wouldn't be surprised if Nix or Penix ends up being the best QB in the draft.

On a podcast I heard there was concern regarding how the Michigan Defensive game plan exposed his weaknesses.
They did exactly what NFL teams do. They take away your strengths and leave you with the weaknesses to try to win with.

You are comparing 23 and 24 year olds with a boatload of experience to 21 year old kids with little in comparison.
Is that unfair? You have to compare to make a choice, no matter the age difference. A good sign that you’ve found an elite player is that they outperform older, more experienced players. You see this across all sports.

It is reasonable to expect that a #3 pick should outperform Bo Nix across many attributes and metrics. Not all, but many, and for critical ones in which he falls short there must be a reasonable expectation that he can catch up.

Is accuracy one of those attributes that can be corrected? If it’s footwork, maybe. I don’t know enough about the game. What about processing? Can a below average processor that makes the wrong reads in college or that gets stuck on his first option become a good one at the NFL level? Maybe, but I’m unaware of an example.

Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Nixes turned out to be the best QBs in the draft, as in,10 years later those two guys end up having the best careers. Perhaps more experience in college does yield a better career, on average.

Granted, I don’t have much to go on, and I’d still take a shot at one of the top 4 at #3, but I’d definitely be tempted to grab one of the Nixes later in the draft as insurance.

Last edited:
I'm hardly an expert evaluator. But neither are the majority of the guys rating these players. As the saying goes: Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink at one time or another.
Opinions are like assholes. Filled with live gerbils.

Rolling an extra year or two with Brissett is better than wasting #3 overall on a bust. Because it does nothing to fill the need and you're out of a premium pick that could have been put to better use and a significant bit of cap space.
They should only take Maye "IF" they believe he can become an elite NFL QB..."IF."

Another thing people ignore is it took Daniels 5 years to have a break out season. Maye has only played 2 with nowhere near the same talent and still played at an elite level. I'm confident Maye will be just as good or better in 3 more seasons.

I read a rumor that the Broncos are willing to package Surtain, pick 12, and a 2025 1st to move up. Would a package like that interest you?

I passed by Target many times

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back