PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake London: The Next N'Keal Harry?

Jerry Rice had a 4.71 40 time. And the Patriots Matthew Slater has a really great 40 time, but he cannot separate.

Football is not a track meet. The important thing is the short burst and change of direction. Plus the ability to sell one direction to the CB and then change it. And also, and here is where Rice excelled, is the ability to accelerate while running...i.e. going from a trot to full speed; Waddle has this was does Jameson Williams (hopefully still does after the surgery).

I suspect that Edelman did not have a great 40 time, but he had a great short burst and change of direction.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning.

Of course Randy Moss ran a 4.25 (supposedly) and DK Metcalf a 4.33. Supposedly Bo Jackson ran a 4.13 and Darrel Green ran a 4.09.

More Chase Claypool than Harry

Im wondering the same with his injury or possibly george pickens not playing a full year, or if maybe John metchie declares those are all very good receivers that may be able to be taken in the second round.
I watched some highlights (all of 3 minutes!), and Wan'Dale Robinson is exciting indeed. He is small and feisty, but he needs to go down quickly lest some Cam Chancellor type removes his head. He has a good short burst and can get open (are you listening BB?), but he does not have a good top speed; I saw some linebackers catch up with him. Mid-round pick I expect, but he would be a good slot guy for the Patriots. I don't think that his 40 time will be that good, but that is OK since he can get open.

Robinson is this draft’s deebo Samuel. He can be a running back or a receiver. He is a match up nightmare.

watch the end of Kentucky’s bowl game. The Kentucky qb threw some hospital balls to him and he got lit up, was clearly hurt, but he still came back and made plays.

guys with heart desire and skill are hard to find, depending on how he runs, he could be a weapon for jones!

What do you folks think of the kid from Purdue David Bell or George Pickens . They should be available at 53 along with John Metchie.

The more I see George Pickens I feel he would be a great fit. Sadly the jets might pick him like they picked Elijah Moore .

Next season jets could also be a decent team.

Robinson is this draft’s deebo Samuel. He can be a running back or a receiver. He is a match up nightmare.

How so? I really do not know; all I have seen are 3 minutes of highlights. What I saw seems to indicate that he is a deep threat along the lines of Randy Moss (I exaggerate, of course, but you get the idea--tall, lanky and fast). He was way out there in Free Safety Land running wild. He has a thoroughbred frame, not an in-close bruiser. Of course, he would not be much good if Jones cannot get the time to throw.

How so? I really do not know; all I have seen are 3 minutes of highlights. What I saw seems to indicate that he is a deep threat along the lines of Randy Moss (I exaggerate, of course, but you get the idea--tall, lanky and fast). He was way out there in Free Safety Land running wild. He has a thoroughbred frame, not an in-close bruiser. Of course, he would not be much good if Jones cannot get the time to throw.

He is the biggest match up nightmare in this draft because he can run the ball and catch the ball, he can get separation at will in the sec, and he is s master of working the intermediate pass zone.

two things to watch film on.

1.) from his years at Nebraska, how he ran the ball and caught the ball.

2.) watch the last ten minutes of Kentucky’s bowl game this year. The Kentucky qb threw him a few hospital balls and he got lit up! Was clearly injured and came back in the game and made plays.

on film he looks like a 4.4 guy. We all think great things of Myers and Bourne, but they are 4.6 guys and not scaring anybody on the opposing defense. Robinson would at least cause opposing defenses to worry about him.

He is the biggest match up nightmare in this draft because he can run the ball and catch the ball, he can get separation at will in the sec, and he is s master of working the intermediate pass zone.

two things to watch film on.

1.) from his years at Nebraska, how he ran the ball and caught the ball.

2.) watch the last ten minutes of Kentucky’s bowl game this year. The Kentucky qb threw him a few hospital balls and he got lit up! Was clearly injured and came back in the game and made plays.

on film he looks like a 4.4 guy. We all think great things of Myers and Bourne, but they are 4.6 guys and not scaring anybody on the opposing defense. Robinson would at least cause opposing defenses to worry about him.
Ooops, my mistake. In my post I was mixing up Wan'Dale Robinson and Jameson Williams. It was Jameson that runs like a deer and reminds me of Randy Moss. Robinson is an entirely different prospect, tough, fearless, feisty, with great spearation (but not good top speed). Robinson would be a great pickup for the Patriots, but...I am goign to get into trouble here....I don't think he is a first round pick for the Patriots...

Whew, sorry about that. That is what happens when I do posting while sober (like Kid Shellen).

Ooops, my mistake. In my post I was mixing up Wan'Dale Robinson and Jameson Williams. It was Jameson that runs like a deer and reminds me of Randy Moss. Robinson is an entirely different prospect, tough, fearless, feisty, with great spearation (but not good top speed). Robinson would be a great pickup for the Patriots, but...I am goign to get into trouble here....I don't think he is a first round pick for the Patriots...

Whew, sorry about that. That is what happens when I do posting while sober (like Kid Shellen).

no doubt about it, taking Robinson before the third round is an overdraft.

pre acl injury, I had Williams as a late first round pick. If the injury was a clean tear, I could see him going in the second-third round range.

BB stinks at drafting WRs. Whatever bad JuJu attaches to that position he needs to change it up.

Perhaps this ritual must first be done before a WR is picked by the Patriots...

1643162942575.png

Last edited:
He leads the country in contested catches. While some may think that is a good sign, I think it is a possible sign of someone who cannot get open. I saw a mock draft where he went to the Jets at 8. Yes, please!!
We need to get this guy who got 19 contested catches last year because Pats are hurting for that "contested catch" type. Hopefully, only one of these names will be on the roster in 2022.

1643999535548.png

We need to get this guy who got 19 contested catches last year because Pats are hurting for that "contested catch" type. Hopefully, only one of these names will be on the roster in 2022.

View attachment 40811

What do Myers and harry have in common, you measure their 40 yard dash time with the minute hand of the stopwatch!

Why does bb keep loading up the roster with slow unathletic guys at linebacker and wide receiver!

What do Myers and harry have in common, you measure their 40 yard dash time with the minute hand of the stopwatch!

Why does bb keep loading up the roster with slow unathletic guys at linebacker and wide receiver!
Like Welker and Kupp? Heck same 40s with VJs of 6" less than Harry/Meyers - that's pretty unathletic. Welker did have a good 20yd shuttle and Kupp a good 3 cone. Even though he's my favorite player on the Pats, Meyers is just darn slow. Amazing he's somewhat consistently gotten open against CB1s like Xavien Howard.

As an aside, for someone with a slow recorded 40 time (4.68), Bourne is actually pretty fast (as we've seen) and has a faster 3cone than Kupp. He hit some decent speeds this year (20.5mph - 10.9s/100m pace) in fairly short runs this season - way higher than anything Kupp has run (20.07mph - 11.15s/100m pace) in the last 2 years (which is how long I checked).

As for DLondon - he does look slow. Never saw stride rate go over mid to high 240spm (as he is tall but not close to freak territory like Megatron whom I've seen at low to mid 260spm in game action) and calculated speeds looked low in his highlights, which is interesting because supposedly, he can run a fast 40. With his ankle injury (shades of N'Keal), I'd be scared to take him.

Everybody likes Myers and Bourne, I get it!

But at some point, we we need to get guys in that can work the intermediate to deep zones at high speeds!

N'Keal Harry clone? Hard PASS! Give me a guy who can get open so our young QB has a chance to get the ball out fast!

I take it we don’t love the drake?

Yes. Not to rehash but the WR and CB eval system used for drafts was messed up in 2004. Before 2004 BB got Branch and Givens. Need to burn the CB and WR draft system and go back to BB's dads scouting methods.
Branch was a great pick. Givens was a stab in the dark with a 7th round pick. He dropped almost every pass at the combines, but came from Notre Dame. I was at the Washington Redskins game where we lost for the last time before the historic run of regular season wins. Givens ran the wrong routes (based on Brady’s reactions to him) multiple times and was responsible for at least one of Brady’s picks in that game. Givens had his moments, but if he had been here the last couple of Brady’s years, Brady would have frozen him out and ripped him publicly.
I think Bill needs to let his scouts decide on WRs to target in each round and stay within that framework. If Bill picks D in round 1 or 2, have a WR with physical tools for 2nd and 3rd day picks. Bill has reached for players and ignored later round WRs in WR deep drafts. Stop trying to prove that he’s the smartest guy and take the safer, logical pick.

edit: whoops, wrong thread

Last edited:
USA Today is touting Drake as a Patriot player, but at least they mentioned the similarity to Harry; the author must have read this thread (Patriots land an incredible WR steal in this 2022 NFL mock draft).

We need the Jets to take Drake...the Patriots need a real burner, a deep threat, a guy that will force the safety to play deep. Jameson William is one such guy ...but he probably does not do good interviews, alas.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back