PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft the beast!!!

For me it’s QB or Micah Parsons
Or trade up a bit if Chase or Waddle Falls.
Besides QB... Penei Sewell, Micah Parsons, Kwity Paye, Christian Barmore, Patrick Surtain, Jaycee Horn... there are quite a few all world talents at the top of the first round.

Throughout Patriot history they have won with 7th round picks (Edelman, David Givens), 8th round (doesn't even exist anymore) picks like Troy Brown or UDFA players like Welker, Amendola and David Patten at WR.

In every draft class there are numerous good 180-200 pound players to be found, there are far fewer talented 300-400 pound players... that's just simple statistics. You don't blow your first round picks on shiny hood ornaments... especially a couple of tiny shrimp WR's.

We have a bunch of JAGs at WR. If a top WR prospect is within reach it's way more likely we go WR than something like CB

Bill's 1st round (or first player chosen) binky is a player who loves football and is an athletic or physical freak. If Pitts or Sewell were ever to drop I could see him moving on them with a trade up. If he stays at 15 an OL think Tucker (because versatile) or CB Horn, Surtain. If he trades down a little then Edge Phillips or Paye. To many WR in later rounds that bring value to see him using a 1st on one. DT Barmore / Nixon if trade out of 1st round and still on board in 2nd. A big trade up for a QB would shock me but if he did has to be for Lance.

REPEAT ONE HUNDRED TIMES
We are not drafting a WR is the first round.
===================
We are much more likely to draft one of the following: QB, OT, CB, TE, EDGE, or an ILB.
Can't agree with you more Cousin.
We don't "need" a OT either but could next year 2022 so that would be more logical. We don't need an EDGE but some have us penciled in to add to the mix. How much did Elliott help Prescott? How about Nagee Harris as our bell cow? Michel is glass and Harris had a small sampling of just 10 games, the rest in the training room. He might be fine but is he glass too?

We need a ILB for sure. Hightower will have rust. Bentley is mediocre at best. Raekwon McMillan might wind up as your best ILB if Hightower is not productive this year. The former Dolphin third Round pick had 105 tackles in 2018. Van Noy was an important pick up. The resat of the LBs are ST guys. Adrian Phillips is a hybrid.

You have Parsons, Davis, Collins and Jabril Cox to choose from.

CB makes sense but unless we trade Jackson or Gilmore, I would be not for #15.

The WR would be a added luxury, but I think you could get a Simi Fehoko later who is very under the radar if we need one more body in the WR room.

There are other methods if we want a WR. I prefer one with NFL playing time. Harry is an example of how his college tape did not translate. Does he have a future? Some say he does and it has been noted the Pats have some suitors.

My blockbuster would be Harry and a 4th Rounder for OBJ. Now that means BB would have to use a bowling ball bag for a jock strap but I think the Browns know they can live without OBJ with there other pieces such as Landry, People-Jones, Higgins, Switzer etc. They lack a big WR. , It helps their CAP. For the naysayers, remember, Teams have to game plan around OBJ in the mean time you have the other receivers with single coverage. Bill loves that stuff.

The Bears are dangling Anthony Miller. He's had 134 receptions and 11 TD's in three years. Decent size at 5'11 and 199lbs. Second Round pick. 4.38 40. The Bears QB situation has been atrocious.

Will a 1st round receiver be bettter than that? Who knows. That's the problem........who knows.
DW Toys

Just when I thought the Pats had a bad WR corps prior to FA, take a look at the Ravens squad. Wow!

That skinny dude ain't going across the face of a MLB in the NFL. He might do it once and that will be the end of it. He'll be catching that slant in at 4-6 yards and hitting the deck.

I take it you didn't watch him go over the middle every week and shrug off collisions for the last few seasons. He's skinny. He's an outlier. We get it. But he's tough and not afraid of contact. He doesn't have a track record of injuries from big hits.

I take it you didn't watch him go over the middle every week and shrug off collisions for the last few seasons. He's skinny. He's an outlier. We get it. But he's tough and not afraid of contact. He doesn't have a track record of injuries from big hits.

The best linebackers on the field in the SEC are overwhelmingly inferior to the worst linebackers on the field in the NFL. Especially when you aren’t going up against Alabama since you’re on that team.

See @VectorPrime reply.

The best linebackers on the field in the SEC are overwhelmingly inferior to the worst linebackers on the field in the NFL. Especially when you aren’t going up against Alabama since you’re on that team.

You're right, only a good linebacker knows how to hit hard

I don't know Cousin. Great college player or not. This is the NFL. To Draft a player who could in one play be cut in half, on a #1 pick at #15 seems nuts.

If the Pats are stuttering at #15, they should trade down and get it over with. If you want to see what happens to a pip squesk WR, Draft an Atwell or Moore later on and see how he holds up.

Let's say we Draft Oliver Oyle to take Edelman's place. Look how beat up JE became in his time in the slot. Is this smurf tougher than Edelman?....anybody, anybody?............no/nyet.

1619028181265.png

DW Toys

The thing about Smith is that he might well have a great career - but BB values WRs who can block. This guy is 30 pounds lighter than Julian Edelman. Can he block?

Is he just so damned talented you don't worry about that?

Shrug.

The thing about Smith is that he might well have a great career - but BB values WRs who can block. This guy is 30 pounds lighter than Julian Edelman. Can he block?

Is he just so damned talented you don't worry about that?

Shrug.

Yes, he can block. They ran a decent number of screens at Alabama (one of the highest rates in the country if I recall) and he blocked sufficiently well again highly rated prospects, such as Jaycee Horn -- a player many of us would see as a steal at 15.

Somebody’s going to love DeVonta Smith in the first round of this draft. Could it still be the Patriots? I will just relate this story to you. At the 2010 NFL Owners Meeting, we were sitting with Bill Belichick at the annual coaches breakfast. I kinda thought a third down back to complement Kevin Faulk was a need spot. And I LOVED Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss.

So I mentioned him to Belichick. And Belichick looked at me and said with that “You’re kidding, right” tone: “What’s he, like 175 pounds?”

Actually, McCluster was 170. He went in the second round to Kansas City. The Patriots signed Danny Woodhead early in the 2010 season. Woodhead went on to have a delightful career. Certainly better than Dexter’s.

And that, “What is he, like 175 pounds?” line has kinda lodged in my mind ever since.

Smith is a TRUE #1 receiver. That is something the Pats do not currently have. Though I REALLY want the Pats to wind up with one of the top 5 QBs, if they don’t get one, and if they wind up with Smith, I’d be thrilled.

He’s one of the few guys who I feel is a slam dunk, almost 99% sure thing. He’s the best receiver I’ve seen come out of college in the last 3 years at least. Great at creating separation, great route runner, great hands, great quickness, I would bet he runs in the 4.4s, and a great competitor. Though he’s very slim, he’s not small, he’s 6’1”. Also seems to know how to avoid unnecessary hits.

McCluster was so fun to watch. He was tiny, though, and he played tiny. Smith doesn't play small. He's good with contested catches, gets open against press, works the MoF, etc. I'm a huge fan.

McCluster was so fun to watch. He was tiny, though, and he played tiny. Smith doesn't play small. He's good with contested catches, gets open against press, works the MoF, etc. I'm a huge fan.
Great college player Cousin,
Again, look at Edelman's busted body and it's time for an agonizing reappraisal that Smith won't last......Just sayin.
He can't help us if he is in a full body cast.
Couldn't you see a Safety like 214lb Jamal Adams waiting for him on a crossing pattern going 21mph? Targeting is a no-no in college. It's just physics. An angry 214lbs at full speed can do a lot of damage to 160lbs.
DW Toys

I love it when posters here make a statement that there is a 100% certainty that something is/isn’t going to happen but then give themselves an out in case they were 100% wrong.

Belichick would never, ever do anything unexpected, because every Pats roster is the same and every group of draftable players is the same and he always has the same scouting director and player personnel team and he has never taken an offensive player in the top half of the first round (except for that time when he took fullback at pick 9 when he was HC of the Browns).

And I could totally see Kraft overruling Bill and forcing him to draft an offensive player.
Lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol.

Except this literally happened almost 25 years ago with Parcells Kraft and Terry Glenn..

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back