PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

draft strategy question

They won't get Waddle and Jones. They won't get Waddle. 50/50 Jones will be gone before 15. I hope they trade up to get a qb, not sure if they will.

They have room for 4-5 rookies, so I assume they will package picks to move up, and/or trade picks for next year.
Yup, if there are no injuries in camp, no retirements, and all the youngsters improve, then MAYBE there will be only 4-5 rookies on the 53.

I like a few directions in the draft. I’m also patient with the rebuild and will not be crushed if they don’t win the superbowl this year.

Trading up to draft a qb intrigues me. Especially for Lance or Fields being they would be mobile qb’s which would be something they haven’t had since Flutie. I guess you could call Bishop or Cam mobile but just not a scale of greatness considering what old Cam could do.

I like the idea of a small move up for Jones or just staying pat.

I would be thrilled with trading up for either Waddle or Parsons. Super stoked actually.

Running a 3 te set with Pitts would be something to behold.

Would be good with staying pat and having a suprise drop like DeVonta Smith fall to Pats.

Guys and girls..

BB has been the leagues worst GM at drafting since 2016. Don’t expect to much unfortunately. I hope he proves me wrong. His drafting has been disastrous the past 5 years

I think Bill tries to trade up for a QB, but it costs too much. If the Pats can't trade up they probably will trade back and look to bolster the offensive and defensive lines. This is supposed to be a really good receiver class so I'm going to assume that Bill completely avoids the position.

In a perfect world, we trade up to 11 and take waddle.

In a perfect world, we trade up to 11 and take waddle.
Waddle could fall to 15, perhaps? Given the nutso run on QB's being predicted....Philly, Chargers, Vikes 12,13,14....not sure what the biggest need is for these teams

Well I do always hear we are living through terrible times....so bring on Lance.

Other than maybe at QB, the Pats will pick not just the best player available, but the best available player on their unique draft board.

With no Combine and other Covid scouting deficiencies, it is probably smarter to punt some picks into 2022. With 10 picks this year, they have the draft capital to trade up at different points. 10 new draft rookies makes no sense after the free agent frenzy. Fans will want picks and will howl if Dolla Bill passes up somebody available they like in any round. However, in this year's post-free agency roster crunch, they might trade up to only take 5 or 6 picks this year while acquiring a few extra 2022 choices by trading back too. For example, with 3 - 4th round picks, they could trade all back while picking up 3 extra mid-round picks in 2022.

A QB is not as essential to pick this year as everybody believes. Both Cam and Stidham, no matter what fans think, get mulligans for 2020. There is no way that the Pats trade up in the first round. However, they might need to trade up as high as the top of the second round if Atlanta does not pick a first round QB.

If Atlanta takes a first round QB ahead of the Pats in Round 1, Mills, Mond or Trask, depending on who the Pats like most, ought to make it to pick 46. If the Pats don’t believe one of them is better than the other 2, they could trade back from 46 to maximize their picks in the top 150 or so while punting a few choices to 2022. Everybody picking sooner in the second round ahead of them, even the Eagles, should pick to bolster their defense or protect their already probable QB1 before 46.

Full 2021 NFL Draft Order | Tankathon

Ideally, if Atlanta already choose their first round QB heir to Ryan, the Pats pick the best available player who slides to 15, their second (with Stidham) developmental QB at 46 and then consolidate their remaining 8 picks with trade ups and trade outs to 2022 to target who they most like in the remaining rounds.

If Jones and all top 5 quarterbacks are picked before 15, somebody good ought to be there when the Pats pick there. If Jones is there at 15, do they draft him or trade back? This will be an interesting decision if they get to make it. If the Pats instead trade back from pick 15, the same consolidation trade into next year strategy applies. The cost of trading up for one of the premium first round quarterbacks is simply too high.

Of the second tier of quarterbacks, my favorite is Mills as explained here:

2021 NFL Draft Chicago Bears Scouting Report: QB Davis Mills

Unlike the Bears and some other organizations, Dolla Bill can definitely develop a quarterback. Stidham might still be an option. Seeing how he performs with this year’s improved team will be revealing.

Whether 4 quarterbacks go in the top 4-10 picks affects where the Pats pick their developmental QB. If Atlanta trades back without taking a QB or, staying put, doesn't take a QB at #4 is the key. I see them as partial to Davis Mills like me. With so little buzz about Mills and the Pats, I suspect that Dolla Bill might feel the same. The Falcons will almost certainly take him (or another QB that Dolla Bill covets) at the top of Round 2. If somebody rated high enough, like Parsons, doesn't slide to the Pats at 15, I see the maneuvering ready to begin.

If Jacksonville likes one of the top OTs or another player at 15, then a trade is setup. The Jags also have pick 25 in Round 1. 15 for 33, 45 and a 7th rounder this year or next is a match. At 33, the Pats can foreclose all the other teams looking for the next best developmental QB in Round 2. Mills is my guy but who else they might pick is debatable. If Mac Jones somehow slips out of Round 1, he might be the guy but, honestly, nobody knows who the next best QB will be. At 33, who they will pick is uncertain, but I see the Pats doing something like this to assure that they get whoever they rate as the next best QB before it's too late on the second day. Here is another analysis, before the reported good Mills Pro Day that agrees:

Guys and girls..

BB has been the leagues worst GM at drafting since 2016. Don’t expect to much unfortunately. I hope he proves me wrong. His drafting has been disastrous the past 5 years
BB has been successful in the past. What has changed?

Is a player for pick trade a possibility? When the Jags grab Lawrence would they be willing to trade Minshew? Is he worth anything?

BB has been successful in the past. What has changed?

Patriots sucked at drafting from 2005-2008 (remember Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney, David Thomas, Garrett Mills busts), then the same OC went to Denver to take Tim Tebow in the first round while decimating the rest of that Denver roster while the Pats drafted incredibly from 2009-2012 while he was gone (Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez, Hightower, Chung, McCourty), and the Pats have gone back to drafting like crap from 2013-now with the same OC back (NKeal Harry, Dobson, Michel, Wynn).

Patriots sucked at drafting from 2005-2008 (remember Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney, David Thomas, Garrett Mills busts), then the same OC went to Denver to take Tim Tebow in the first round while decimating the rest of that Denver roster while the Pats drafted incredibly from 2009-2012 while he was gone (Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez, Hightower, Chung, McCourty), and the Pats have gone back to drafting like crap from 2013-now with the same OC back (NKeal Harry, Dobson, Michel, Wynn).

Seriously do you have this copy and pasted somewhere? Alerts set up when someone says anything draft related? We get it you hate mcdaniels you blame him 100% for the poor drafting of the past. Could you perhaps add something new to the discussion instead of the same old boring crap you have spewed, I am being generous here, at least 1000 times?

I like a few directions in the draft. I’m also patient with the rebuild and will not be crushed if they don’t win the superbowl this year.

Trading up to draft a qb intrigues me. Especially for Lance or Fields being they would be mobile qb’s which would be something they haven’t had since Flutie. I guess you could call Bishop or Cam mobile but just not a scale of greatness considering what old Cam could do.

I like the idea of a small move up for Jones or just staying pat.

I would be thrilled with trading up for either Waddle or Parsons. Super stoked actually.

Running a 3 te set with Pitts would be something to behold.

Would be good with staying pat and having a suprise drop like DeVonta Smith fall to Pats.
It isn’t going to happen but I would love to get Ja’Marr Chase. I think he’s clearly the best receiver in this draft. I’m pretty certain he’s going to be the first WR off the board, and he will be gone top 6. That said Belichick would never pay the price to go get him

Seriously do you have this copy and pasted somewhere? Alerts set up when someone says anything draft related? We get it you hate mcdaniels you blame him 100% for the poor drafting of the past. Could you perhaps add something new to the discussion instead of the same old boring crap you have spewed, I am being generous here, at least 1000 times?

It's absolutely in scope anytime recent crappy drafts or poor talent on the roster comes up. Because there is a clear reason. We have a doofus who is the worst talent evaluator in the Pats war room next to Bill. This franchise is in massive trouble if Bill retires. Maybe get more upset over the total ineptitude to evaluate college players.

It isn’t going to happen but I would love to get Ja’Marr Chase. I think he’s clearly the best receiver in this draft. I’m pretty certain he’s going to be the first WR off the board, and he will be gone top 6. That said Belichick would never pay the price to go get him

Chase is a special special talent. Chase and Devonta are the only 2 offensive pkayers I'd be good with the Pats pick. Chase made Burrow look excellent at LSU. Devonta might fall because of silly logic that he isn't the right weight. I hope someone takes Waddle early so we don't even consider this Bethel Johnson prospect. I project multiple top tier talents to be there at 15. We shouldn't go for the 5th best QB, maybe multiple players who are the best at their position are still there.

It would certainly go a long way to appeasing the “Bill can’t draft a wr to save his life crowd.”

Welcome back son of son of NEM. We really missed hearing the same diatribe over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...........

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back