PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: The NFL appears poised and ready for the 'Josh McDaniels rule' (update: proposal tabled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next rule being considered has been dubbed the 'Playing Against Teams Rated Irresolute Or Triumph Starved' rule:
"As of league year 2018, retroactive to league year 2016, any team that qualifies for the super bowl two years consecutive is automatically disqualified from the playoffs the following league year."
applicable to teams based only in the states or territories of Alaska, American Samoa, Guam, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, and the Virgin Islands. Subject to change upon league expansion.

:):)

I would have given the laughy guy but I just don't trust Goodell for anything.

I found it hard to believe that McDaniels even considered coaching for that horrible organization in the first place. This is an organization that hangs up a banner for losing in the AFC Title Game. He made the right decision to bail on them as you can't count on Andrew Luck. I wonder if he regrets not taking the San Francisco job? I bet he is after seeing Jimmy G end up there after all.

I think the NFL should move coaching hires until after the season. Why does nonsense have to happen during the season?
That’s the way it used to be but the problem is that some teams’ offseasons begin earlier than others. It was deemed unfair to the assistants who were coaching into mid to late January (or early February) that they couldn’t interview.

How quickly the league forgets that the current rules were put into place because of Bill Parcells. That's right. After the debacle of Parcells jumping ship to the Jets after the SB and it coming out that Parcells had been talking to the Jets PRIOR to the SB, the league changed the rules to say that teams couldn't interview people until that person's team was done their season.

And yes, it was the John Gruden fiasco that stopped coaches from being traded.

It's good to see a rule that should have been in place decades prior finally getting passed.

Deus - You clearly don't remember that this was the rule PRIOR to what it is now. The rule was changed after it was found out that Bill Parcells has agreed to coach the Jets while still the HC of the Patriots.

Yeah, it was a shame that knowing Weis and Crennel were out the door after the SB cost the Patriots the win in 2004.

BTW, if you actually read the article you posted about Crennel, you'd have seen that he was offered the job, he accepted and then they talked contract.. But it wasn't offered until the SB was over.. And he had no formal interview.

Neither Weis nor Crennel were signed to another NFL team prior to the end of the 2004 season. You're argument holds no water. But that's no surprise.

Deus - You clearly don't remember that this was the rule PRIOR to what it is now. The rule was changed after it was found out that Bill Parcells has agreed to coach the Jets while still the HC of the Patriots.
The Bill Parcells situation is not the same as what we are talking about here. Parcells was a HC and he was under contract. He was forbidden from talking to other teams, either during or after the season (yes he did so anyway, but officially it was not allowed).

Assistants under contract are allowed to interview to be HC’s of other teams. The only thing that has changed is the timeframe within which they may do so.

And yes, it was the John Gruden fiasco that stopped coaches from being traded.
I was under that impression too but Goodell re allowed teams to trade coaches for draft picks. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone that none of the media knew this rule during the Harbaugh to Browns rumor. I believe the 9ers and Browns agreed on compensation but Harbaugh blocked the trade as he had cold feet going there.

surprisingly, the proposal got tabled. and the colts were against the change:

Colts GM was opposed to tabled 'Josh McDaniels rule'

Contrary to outside perception, there wasn't a ton of support for the change that would have prevented the Indianapolis Colts from being left at the altar in the 21st hour.

The tabling of the issue must have left the Colts seething, right?

Wrong.

Indianapolis general manager Chris Ballard, whose team got left in the cold by McDaniels, was not in favor of a rule change.

"When you're a playoff team, you're trying to eliminate all the distractions that you can. And we're going to be a playoff team and we're going to have these issues," Ballard said, via Stephen Holder of the Indy Star. "It becomes a slippery slope. We have rules in place for a reason. I think they're good rules. It gives you a chance to interview and then, after the season, whatever happens, happens. In our case, he changed his mind and we moved on."

If the Colts were not vociferously going after a rule change, it's easy to see why the rest of the ownership group would stick with the status quo.

How about a rule that states that you don't announce a hiring until the contract has been signed? Don't hire suggested coordinators etc.. until the contract is signed.
I know we love to **** on the Colts, but nobody ever does this sort of thing. I really don't blame them for this, this was a huge huge no no what McDaniels did.

I know we love to **** on the Colts...

In all fairness not only do they deserve it they even seem to go out of their way to make sh!tting on them pretty easy...

Good times...good times...

I think it should be the opposite............there should be no hiring or negotiations of anyone during the playoffs.......as to not undermine the mission of winning it all

IMO coaching staffs should be set in stone week 1.

You can fire your coaches, but you're not allowed to hire any coaching staff till the day after the superbowl.

You can’t work for two teams, period. If teams want to take their chance in coaches still in the Super Bowl hunt they risk being spurned, if not sign somebody else.

NFL Rumors: Bill Belichick Led Opposition To Proposed ‘Josh McDaniels Rule’

The proposed rule met harsh resistance among NFL coaches, though — with Belichick serving as the “leader” to keep the “status quo,” a source told the MMQB’s Peter King. Here’s what Belichick said about the rule, according to King’s source, who was in the room for the meeting: “We work hard to get to the playoffs.

We tell our fans we’re doing everything possible to win the biggest games of the year, and we do everything to eliminate distractions. And then, in the middle of that, we announce one of our coaches is now the new coach of another team? And he’s going to coach for us until the end of the year?’ ”

Belichick also pointed out that if this rule passed, you could have a coach employed by two teams at the same time. “If you’ve been hired by one team, you’re continuing to coach your original team, and you talk to some of the assistant coaches you work with about joining your staff — shouldn’t that be tampering?,” Belichick said, according to King’s source.

How about a rule that states that you don't announce a hiring until the contract has been signed? Don't hire suggested coordinators etc.. until the contract is signed.
Like they say if it isn't in writing it did not happen.

In all fairness not only do they deserve it they even seem to go out of their way to make sh!tting on them pretty easy...

Good times...good times...
I love that play :D

And BB is popular around the league? LOL. Most media compare him to Emperor Palpatine. :p

I want a coach who wins, not a coach who is "popular".

I don’t want McDaniels as our next head coach. My reason: he is too unpopular around the rest of the league with other coaches and more specifically the players. I want someone who doesn’t have a target on their back.

If you disagree with me, state your reason why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back