PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: The NFL appears poised and ready for the 'Josh McDaniels rule' (update: proposal tabled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbobbo

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
the rule actually makes sense and has been considered for some time. but of course it takes a situation with the patriots to give it a serious chance of passing.

The NFL appears poised and ready for the 'Josh McDaniels rule'

Though the league won’t admit as much, the verbal agreement that fell through rather messily between the Colts and McDaniels last month proved to be the final push it needed to muster the needed support for a proposed rule change allowing teams to formally hire head coaches whose teams are still alive in the playoffs.

McDaniels might have never had the time and motivation to reconsider his agreement to take over the Colts had it been possible for him to sign a contract during the midst of another long Patriots playoff run. Those difference-making “deeper and longer and more in depth’’ post-Super Bowl discussions that New England head coach Bill Belichick on Sunday said occurred between he and McDaniels probably wouldn’t have unfolded in mid-January, changing the course of history for two teams.

i'm not sure i agree with banks that those in-depth conversations between BB and mcdaniels wouldn't have happened in mid-january. belichick rolls with the punches--he would have adjusted to whatever the rules are to do what's best for the team.

the rule actually makes sense and has been considered for some time. but of course it takes a situation with the patriots to give it a serious chance of passing.

The NFL appears poised and ready for the 'Josh McDaniels rule'

i'm not sure i agree with banks that those in-depth conversations between BB and mcdaniels wouldn't have happened in mid-january. belichick rolls with the punches--he would have adjusted to whatever the rules are to do what's best for the team.

How about a rule that states that you don't announce a hiring until the contract has been signed? Don't hire suggested coordinators etc.. until the contract is signed.

How about a rule that states that you don't announce a hiring until the contract has been signed? Don't hire suggested coordinators etc.. until the contract is signed.
Yeah, I feel like the rule change, if I understand it correctly, is actually going in the wrong direction. I’d say don’t allow coaches to interview for open jobs until their teams season is over - hell dont allow ANY coaches to interview (if they’re still under a contract) until the Monday after Super Bowl. I know it’s meant to give fair opportunity to coaches on teams that are winning, and the teams that are hiring new coaches want to get them in the building and start working on the roster/draft, but this would eliminate worries of distraction or tampering with regard to playoff teams. Teams will adjust to the new calendar - if they want access to successful coordinators on playoff teams, they wait.

Deep down wonder if Belichick when he does retire, secretly is grooming McDaniels. Who knows?! A lot has to decide on why the latter turned down the Colts job. Rule does make sense.

Next rule being considered has been dubbed the 'Playing Against Teams Rated Irresolute Or Triumph Starved' rule:
"As of league year 2018, retroactive to league year 2016, any team that qualifies for the super bowl two years consecutive is automatically disqualified from the playoffs the following league year."
applicable to teams based only in the states or territories of Alaska, American Samoa, Guam, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, and the Virgin Islands. Subject to change upon league expansion.

:):)

Because we all know history is replete with examples of folks who were successful at serving 2 masters.

I found it hard to believe that McDaniels even considered coaching for that horrible organization in the first place. This is an organization that hangs up a banner for losing in the AFC Title Game. He made the right decision to bail on them as you can't count on Andrew Luck. I wonder if he regrets not taking the San Francisco job? I bet he is after seeing Jimmy G end up there after all.

I think the NFL should move coaching hires until after the season. Why does nonsense have to happen during the season?

Deep down wonder if Belichick when he does retire, secretly is grooming McDaniels. Who knows?! A lot has to decide on why the latter turned down the Colts job. Rule does make sense.

I don’t want McDaniels as our next head coach. My reason: he is too unpopular around the rest of the league with other coaches and more specifically the players. I want someone who doesn’t have a target on their back.

If you disagree with me, state your reason why

I don’t want McDaniels as our next head coach. My reason: he is too unpopular around the rest of the league with other coaches and more specifically the players. I want someone who doesn’t have a target on their back.

What do you mean he's "unpopular with the coaches"? If you're talking about working with him, at the end of the day these guys need jobs. If not, who cares if they don't "like him"? I don't think many coaches in the NFL like BB.

Last edited:
It's good to see a rule that should have been in place decades prior finally getting passed.

Yeah, it was a shame that knowing Weis and Crennel were out the door after the SB cost the Patriots the win in 2004.

If you can provide some proof that Weis and Crennel signed contracts before the Super Bowl that would make your comment relevant to mine.

If you can provide some proof that Weis and Crennel signed contracts before the Super Bowl that would make your comment relevant to mine.

Weis had been signed back in December, 2004, which was well ahead of the Super Bowl.

Irish pluck Weis - The Boston Globe
http://archive.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/12/12/irish_pluck_weis/
Weis signs 6-year deal to coach Notre Dame - Lewiston Sun Journal

Crennel couldn't officially sign, because of the rule (note your attempt at a tautology here), but it was already known that he'd be taking the gig, as this story notes:

No Surprise: Crennel is the Man

Not only that but, if you can provide some proof that nobody considers himself to be moving on after he's agreed to a deal but before he's signed, you'll be the first person in the history of mankind, and that will be because you're making it up.

Please cite where you are hearing JMC is unpopular with other coaches?

At any rate, if he does take over as HC and wins, why do you care if he's unpopular?

Because nobody gives a **** what target you have on you as long as you are a successful coach. Look no further than BB.

It is one thing to say I dont want Josh to become our HC because I dont think he would be good at it. But saying I dont want him because he is too unpopular is plainly stupid.

Mcdaniels Gase,Shannahan,Mcvay
This is going to be the cream of the crop younger offensive masterminds.

You can do alot worse than to have Mcdaniels Caserio as the bosses in waiting.

I think it should be the opposite............there should be no hiring or negotiations of anyone during the playoffs.......as to not undermine the mission of winning it all

Mcdaniels Gase,Shannahan,Mcvay
This is going to be the cream of the crop younger offensive masterminds.

You can do alot worse than to have Mcdaniels Caserio as the bosses in waiting.
Gase is terrible
McVay still has a lot to prove, he was a mediocre coordinator, but last year he did well.
Shanahan is overrated based on what he had actually done.
McDaniels failed miserably as a hc

There is no certainty with any of these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News