PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins freeing up a total of around 50 million in cap.

Can the Dolphins even sign Lamar? They don't have their 2023 1st round draft pick and they have to give up 2 first round picks to sign him. Can the league even allow them to make those picks be 2024 & 2025? If I'm the Ravens front office, I would not agree to that.

Can the Dolphins even sign Lamar? They don't have their 2023 1st round draft pick and they have to give up 2 first round picks to sign him. Can the league even allow them to make those picks be 2024 & 2025? If I'm the Ravens front office, I would not agree to that.
They technically can’t even talk to him right now unless they first acquire their own first rounder or better. After the draft it shifts to 2024 and 2025 picks, so they can talk to him and make an offer then.

Who else? The 2020 Bucs. Wasn't this board whining in 2020 over how the Patriots had sold their souls for the 2018 title and had absolutely noooo alternative but to put together crap rosters in 19/20? So I guess we can put that one on the list as well. Which would amount to 3 of the past 5 Super Bowl champions.
2019 wasn't a crap roster. Injuries and malcontents all over the roster killed the season.

You are accurate with 2020.

50 mill in cap space pre-draft and pre-FA. I would not draw conclusions that this is harbinger to Tom's return.

I mean, he just got Vivi a cat.

Last edited:
I'll laugh if they steal Rodgers away from the Jete.

I'll laugh if they steal Rodgers away from the Jete.
You can basically give them the Division Rodgers to Hill and Waddle be careful what you wish for.

Meanwhile Patriots passive ultra conservative approach continues. BB taking us to last place in AFC east
He is petrified to take any risks ever

Yeah, how dare Belichick not aggressively sign any big name free agents a week before it's actually legal to do so!

Yeah, how dare Belichick not aggressively sign any big name free agents a week before it's actually legal to do so!
No it’s more about it’s been discussed how we can rework deals to free cap space and we haven’t done so.

Liked likes a passive free agency and that would be a huge mistake this year.

No it’s more about it’s been discussed how we can rework deals to free cap space and we haven’t done so.

Liked likes a passive free agency and that would be a huge mistake this year.

Exactly. Time to free up more cap space to fix the team

Because they already have 30 something million in space. The Dolphins were right up against it. There's no player on the market this year that they couldn't sign because of cap space, and if they want to sign a bunch of them, the same restructures you're clamoring for could just as easily be done when needed. In fact I'm sure the conversations are already taking place, so if the deal needs to be done it can move quickly.

The downside to freeing up space you don't need yet is that it pushes cap hits into future years when you didn't have to do that. So then next year you're looking for more space and now your options to create it are more limited. There's no need for urgency on March 10.

Exactly. Time to free up more cap space to fix the team
Freeing up cap space needs to be done thoughtfully. You don't want to push dead money into future years with older players nor do you want to cut players when you don't have a backfill or plan to replace the player.

When you look at their 2023 cap table, the contract that sucks complete ass is Smith's. It's a killer. Horrible contract.

Henry, Brown, Wise, Andrews, Bourne, Mills, Parker, Bentley, Dugger and Guy all could be restructured, extended or cut but we aren't clearing $50m b/c we are already ~$32m under. We might be able to clear another $15m..maybe.

They already have a lot of cap room, so they aren't going to miss out on any FA that they really, really want just because they haven't done some cap adjustments

I'm sure BB has a list of roster moves and cap restructures he can do in priority order. There really is no rush, in terms of free agency and being competitive with cash

2019 wasn't a crap roster. Injuries and malcontents all over the roster killed the season.

You are accurate with 2020.

2019 with a great tight end would have been a different offense. We had 38 year old Ben Watson and no one else. Also losing Devlin combined with said no tight ends absolutely exposed Sony Michel. And it all went to hell from there.

yeah? what are the dolphins winning? You think that they are going to leapfrog to the the top of the AFC by clearing the cap? They dont even know if they have a healthy qb...

and pushing all the chips to the center of the table has helped exactly who? the 2021 Rams you say? who else? who does this and actually wins it all besides the one off rams squad?

The Rams were a contender for 2-3 years, they played a close game against the Pats that we took from them so the model worked, they only managed to snag one Lombardi out of it tho

The Rams were a contender for 2-3 years, they played a close game against the Pats that we took from them so the model worked, they only managed to snag one Lombardi out of it tho
maybe i was a bit too aggressive in that post... rams added a lot of talent thru the draft over their lean years as well...

the idea that teams can just form overnight, transform themselves into sb winners via free agency and whatever is basically misleading... they do need to have a base to start from...

teams can manipulate the cap, and often do... but in the end it does catch up with them

to begin with, they were 16± Over the cap... so they had to clear cap space regardless... so they clear a bit more... i like that they are locking themselves into bad deals, limits their flexibility in future years...

NO is in alleged cap hell and just backed up the brinks truck for Carr why y’all still think the cap is real is beyond me

Last edited:
2019 with a great tight end would have been a different offense. We had 38 year old Ben Watson and no one else. Also losing Devlin combined with said no tight ends absolutely exposed Sony Michel. And it all went to hell from there.
Yep. I don't think we we would have gotten past the Chiefs but the Titans for sure.

NO is in alleged cap he’ll and just backed up the brinks truck for Carr why y’all still think the cap is real is beyond me
did they though? 28 million dollar signing bonus spread out over 5 years, with a void year tacked on... whats his first year cap hit? 7.2 million dollars... and the last year of the deal is a bloated salary of $50,000,000... you think they are going to be paying him $50,000,000 in 2026?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back