PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins freeing up a total of around 50 million in cap.

I think the Dolphins are in an interesting place. They feel like their offense can compete with anyone, except Tua. Tua could have a great year. Tua could be out of football by November. In very short order they're going to have to make a decision on Tua that will tie up a lot of their money for a while. Or they're starting over again with a new QB. Either way, they have to feel like right now is their best shot for a little while.

With the talent they have on offense, Tua is good enough. Not sure about the concussion issues though. Thats a concern.

If MIA really wants to improve they are better served by fixing the 24th ranked defense and 27th vs the pass.

With the talent they have on offense, Tua is good enough. Not sure about the concussion issues though. Thats a concern.

If MIA really wants to improve they are better served by fixing the 24th ranked defense and 27th vs the pass.
Fangio was a great way to start.

Agreed. Didn't they just release a lot of the old Pats vets, too?

Yep. I don't think we we would have gotten past the Chiefs but the Titans for sure.

What’s ironic is the win/loss record might have been the same or perhaps just one game better BUT it wouldn’t have been such a miserable slog.

I just meant that they were cutting the dead wood who were leftover from Flores' tenure.
Yea they wacked Adam Butler before this year and 1/2 the DC staff from Flo's time.

Freeing up cap space needs to be done thoughtfully. You don't want to push dead money into future years with older players nor do you want to cut players when you don't have a backfill or plan to replace the player.

When you look at their 2023 cap table, the contract that sucks complete ass is Smith's. It's a killer. Horrible contract.

Henry, Brown, Wise, Andrews, Bourne, Mills, Parker, Bentley, Dugger and Guy all could be restructured, extended or cut but we aren't clearing $50m b/c we are already ~$32m under. We might be able to clear another $15m..maybe.

On the bolded, just to emphasize….. part of the reason why it’s a horrible, killer contract? Because he was restructured last year. If we didn’t restructure him last year, the Pats would still save $3.5m against the cap despite his 2023 salary guarantee. Cutting him now will actually cost the team cap space. At least it could be a discussion point to cut him now, if they hadn’t restructured him last year. That’s why, to your point and others’, you don’t restructure contracts until/unless you have to.

What’s ironic is the win/loss record might have been the same or perhaps just one game better BUT it wouldn’t have been such a miserable slog.
Weird year...

Win 3 straight
Lose 3 straight
Win 5 straight
Lose 5 straight
Win last game 11-6 vs the offense-adverse NYJ.

Lose on a brain fart clock mgt issue in BUF.

On the bolded, just to emphasize….. part of the reason why it’s a horrible, killer contract? Because he was restructured last year. If we didn’t restructure him last year, the Pats would still save $3.5m against the cap despite his 2023 salary guarantee. Cutting him now will actually cost the team cap space. At least it could be a discussion point to cut him now, if they hadn’t restructured him last year. That’s why, to your point and others’, you don’t restructure contracts until/unless you have to.
Exactly. A short term gain had a relatively long term negative impact.....

Lets just wait and see if what or if any free agents are brought in ?

After the moves, the Dolphins are now $28.5 million under the cap.

Can the Dolphins even sign Lamar? They don't have their 2023 1st round draft pick and they have to give up 2 first round picks to sign him. Can the league even allow them to make those picks be 2024 & 2025? If I'm the Ravens front office, I would not agree to that.
There are two ways they can. First, they can acquire a pick higher than their original pick. Second, if Jackson signs his tender, anyone can trade for him for any offer BAL accepts.

NO is in alleged cap hell and just backed up the brinks truck for Carr why y’all still think the cap is real is beyond me
Remind me of their recent Superbowl wins. Hey, remind me of their recent playoff wins.

After the moves, the Dolphins are now $28.5 million under the cap.

In other words, the Miami Dolphins had to do all of this to get within $4m of the cap space the Patriots had already. That's why they're doing these restructures now, and the Patriots are not.

At sone point if no team signs Lamar do the Pats sniff at him see if they can talk the Ravens down on compensation?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back