PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins bench Henne for Pennington

Status
Not open for further replies.
smart move imho. There's more to Pennington than combine numbers, that's for sure.

I don't know why that team doesn't run more.

Werent a lot of the mediots in this area picking the dolphins to win the division?

It wasn't just the mediots...

I too called this when they drafted him, after last season, before this season when they acquired Marshall and during the season when Tuna bailed... Whatever it is, Henne don't have any. Tuna struggles with QB selection and development. I don't think he gets intangibles or he doesn't notice they are lacking until it's painfully obvious. I guess that's why he was always drawn to his veteran retreads. They may not be stars but at least he believes he knows or can trust what to expect from them.

Woe is me time in Miami... Tuna really botched this makeover. I think going to an AFCE team was his ultimate undoing this time because he became more focused on making an impact out of the gate in BB's area code than in rebuilding from scratch as that situation was tailor made for. He had carte blanche and he blew it. Now it's like he was never there...

Miami Dolphins no closer to solving QB riddle - Armando Salguero - MiamiHerald.com

Woe is me time in Miami... Tuna really botched this makeover. I think going to an AFCE team was his ultimate undoing this time because he became more focused on making an impact out of the gate in BB's area code than in rebuilding from scratch as that situation was tailor made for. He had carte blanche and he blew it. Now it's like he was never there...

Miami Dolphins no closer to solving QB riddle - Armando Salguero - MiamiHerald.com

I'm not sure how you mean he "blew it". He took over a 1 win team and got them to 11 wins in his first season of stewardship before transitioning to a new QB after his QB was lost for the season in the following year, after all. Are you referring to Long over Ryan, or something more?

I don't want to see pennington play the pats. if he has time, he will tear the pats a new one

2002 and 2008. Those are two reasons why I wouldn't take this move lightly.

Pennington will make that team better. I really think that he is one of the more underrated players in the NFL. While he doesn't have a big arm (at all), his accuracy and smarts more than make up for it. I also think this will be better for Marshall because I never saw him as a "deep threat" WR.

Marshall is more of an intermediate route, possession receiver who can get ridiculous YAC.

I'm not sure how you mean he "blew it". He took over a 1 win team and got them to 11 wins in his first season of stewardship before transitioning to a new QB after his QB was lost for the season in the following year, after all. Are you referring to Long over Ryan, or something more?

He was brought in to completely overhaul a floundering franchise by rebuilding it from the FO down. That's a long term project, but his desire to win now and not have to face the public druggery that a rebuild often entails because of unrealistic fan and media speculation and expectations, led him to take shortcuts and make shortsighted moves that actually skewered his drafting and approach to FA and limited sustainable growth oportunities for his players and staff. I don't think it's all that surprising either because I think he's not what he and the media sells him as anymore, if he ever was, he's just another guy looking for a cushy interference free gig that pays the freight based on his youthful rep. He's not the ultimate foundation builder. His ego won't allow him to truly be that. Saban is much the same. It's one of the many differences between Big and Little Bill. One takes the long view and accepts accountability and cultivates mutual respect with ownership based on common goals - because he learns lessons. The other wants us to believe if he were in charge free and clear it would come together like clockwork. Only that has never really happened in any of his stops because that's not the way you build for sustainable success.

He was brought in to completely overhaul a floundering franchise by rebuilding it from the FO down. That's a long term project, but his desire to win now and not have to face the public druggery that a rebuild often entails because of unrealistic fan and media speculation and expectations, led him to take shortcuts and make shortsighted moves that actually skewered his drafting and approach to FA and limited sustainable growth oportunities for his players and staff. I don't think it's all that surprising either because I think he's not what he and the media sells him as anymore, if he ever was, he's just another guy looking for a cushy interference free gig that pays the freight based on his youthful rep. He's not the ultimate foundation builder. His ego won't allow him to truly be that. Saban is much the same. It's one of the many differences between Big and Little Bill. One takes the long view and accepts accountability and cultivates mutual respect with ownership based on common goals - because he learns lessons. The other wants us to believe if he were in charge free and clear it would come together like clockwork. Only that has never really happened in any of his stops because that's not the way you build for sustainable success.

I'm not sure how Smith/Davis/Long/Hartline/Dansby/Bess/Dansby, etc... are evidence of short term thinking. I think it's fair to say that he screwed the pooch with the Pat White signing. I think it's fair to question Long over Ryan, although Long's a hell of a player. However, Parcells signed with the Dolphins in December of 2007. He's had three drafts since then, and he's clearly brought in some talent, although how much remains to be seen.

I'm just not seeing how you can say that taking over a 1 win team and leading it to a 22-18 record in 2+ seasons, including a division championship if one of the two completed seasons, is botching a makeover.

I'm not sure how Smith/Davis/Long/Hartline/Dansby/Bess/Dansby, etc... are evidence of short term thinking. I think it's fair to say that he screwed the pooch with the Pat White signing. I think it's fair to question Long over Ryan, although Long's a hell of a player. However, Parcells signed with the Dolphins in December of 2007. He's had three drafts since then, and he's clearly brought in some talent, although how much remains to be seen.

I'm just not seeing how you can say that taking over a 1 win team and leading it to a 22-18 record in 2+ seasons, including a division championship if one of the two completed seasons, is botching a makeover.

It's botching a rebuild that would pay long term dividends in favor of a short term contrived (and therefore unsustainable) makeover that is fizzling out in his customary wake... It was predictable that would happen in Dallas because of the dynamic (Jerry). It became predictable here because at this juncture that is who Tuna is. Just an opportunistic aging icon looking to pad his bank account short term.

It's botching a rebuild that would pay long term dividends in favor of a short term contrived (and therefore unsustainable) makeover that is fizzling out in his customary wake... It was predictable that would happen in Dallas because of the dynamic (Jerry). It became predictable here because at this juncture that is who Tuna is. Just an opportunistic aging icon looking to pad his bank account short term.

Dansby in only 29, so he'll be around for years to come, barring injury. Long and Davis are still NFL puppies. Bess is just 25. Marshall's a young guy.

LT
WR1
Slot WR
MLB
CB1

That's a very solid core group that's mostly young. That's not bad work for 2+ seasons. It's missing the QB, which is where the Long/Ryan questions come in, and I can see you calling that decision a mistake. But I still don't see how you're getting to the position where you make the claim about it being short-term.

Dansby in only 29, so he'll be around for years to come, barring injury. Long and Davis are still NFL puppies. Bess is just 25. Marshall's a young guy.

LT
WR1
Slot WR
MLB
CB1

That's a very solid core group that's mostly young. That's not bad work for 2+ seasons. It's missing the QB, which is where the Long/Ryan questions come in, and I can see you calling that decision a mistake. But I still don't see how you're getting to the position where you make the claim about it being short-term.

They're already heading backwards and will be lucky to reach .500 this season. There will be no continuity building on offense and who knows on defense since they are on their second DC in Bill's brief tenure, not to mention they had to can their ST coach early this season. Sparano or Ireland could be next to go now that their protector has bailed and left them to deal with a ship taking on water... Supposedly Tuna took a hands off approach with Sparano and let him make his own mistakes. Ireland didn't pee without asking Bill for input. I think that's one of the reason's Bill opted out before the crash. He could see the retribution writing on the wall and he wanted no part of it. He got these guys jobs and titles, let them deal with the regression fallout...

They're already heading backwards and will be lucky to reach .500 this season.

They didn't reach .500 last year. Pennington went down and they went with a new QB, who got them to 7-9. They're playing in the same division as the Patriots and Jets, so they're already behind the 8-ball.

There will be no continuity building on offense and who knows on defense since they are on their second DC in Bill's brief tenure, not to mention they had to can their ST coach early this season. Sparano or Ireland could be next to go now that their protector has bailed and left them to deal with a ship taking on water... Supposedly Tuna took a hands off approach with Sparano and let him make his own mistakes. Ireland didn't pee without asking Bill for input. I think that's one of the reason's Bill opted out before the crash. He could see the retribution writing on the wall and he wanted no part of it. He got these guys jobs and titles, let them deal with the regression fallout...

Well, Parcells is basically gone now, so these future things aren't really on him.

I just don't see where you're getting your claims. That team's offense has good tackles, good wide receivers and good running backs. The defense needed more work but, when you leave after less than 3 years, you don't get to everything.

But, but, but what about all the great young QB ballwashing of Chad Henne we heard ad nauseum from the announcers on SNF and thereafter? This move is indicative of disaster for the Phins. Means that a #1 will go for a QB who will take a couple years to develop if he ever does at all, q.v. Beck, Henne.

Color me unimpressed with yet another aborted turn around by the fraud that is the Tuner.

I like Parcells but here's the bottom line for him. He has taken bad teams and made them good but he lacks the patience or stamina to make a good team great.

Pat White and Patrick Turner were high profile busts in the draft. The Jake Grove signing (2 years, $29.5 million with $14 million guaranteed) was an unmitigated disaster.

It's definitely a mixed bag of groceries ...

Wow, benching Henne for Penny.

Look for Turkey Lurkey to suit up next.

Hmm, number 24 in QB Rating the NFL - Henne.
Any guess for number 23?
That's right the Sanchize! He's 23rd, right below Shaun Hill and Jason Campbell.

Henne had more yds, 10% better comp rate, better average per pass, better yds per game, etc. Mark One did out do Henne pretty well in the very important TD/Int count -
Sanchize 10/5, Henne 8/10.

Man, if the Jests were also 4-4 like they should be (see the miracle PI call in Denver and a PAT kicked by a DT in Detroit), would we be hearing Fatasorous Rex talk about sitting the L.A. Differential?

Pennington is a smarter and more expereinced QB, and he will only help improve that Dolphins offense.....

If he has discovered an elixer for that arm he could be very dangerous.

It's a symbolic benching. Pennington will dislocate his shoulder by Saturday.

Which reminds me how ugly his broken/dislocated wrist was, back in the day. Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes