PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the mutual interest between Blount and Pats affect going after Forte?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount's injury was a rest and recovery injury that didn't need surgery. If he comes back, he's the team's only workhorse back, because you don't want to put Lewis in that position again when he's coming off of the ACL surgery.

1DRB - Blount
3DRB - White
1-3DRB - Forte
AthispaceRB - Lewis
FB - Devlin
ST - Bolden

That would set up as a 6 man backfield. In terms of cuts from there, I would think White would be more threatened by Forte than would Blount, but that's me trying to get into the team's collective head about Lewis.
If only White could run a little.....

Not at all. Even if Blount is back in the fold, the Pats know they need more quality depth back there. Forte can be the lead back, he can spell Blount, he can spell Lewis, and he can also be on the field with both guys either in running or passing situations. It sounds like the price will be right so I fully expect them to still pursue Forte whether or not Blount is back with the squad.

Unforuntly i agree as well the more i think but what do i know

In 15 years running this team you can count on one finger the number of times they have shelled out substantial money for the Rb and that was in 2005 for Dillon's extension.

If history is our guide and Forte is looking for $4m+ in 2016 it ain't happening here.

I am not a big fan of Blount's and unless Forte decides that winning is more important than money, he is not coming here. I think we use the draft to get younger and cheaper at the position. Alex Collins, Jordan Howard, and Johnathon Williams are bigger backs that I like.

I hope not, Forte and Blount would be nine. Don't know if they can rely on Lewis for the entire season, whether he gets injured during the season or misses part of the beginning of the season due to his recovery. The team needs a legit runner and receiver behind Lewis.

I am not a big fan of Blount's and unless Forte decides that winning is more important than money, he is not coming here. I think we use the draft to get younger and cheaper at the position. Alex Collins, Jordan Howard, and Johnathon Williams are bigger backs that I like.

Collins has slipped down my board a little bit due to his fumbling issues and his indecision at times at the LOS. I love Williams. He's the top back in the draft that should be available to the Pats (not counting Elliott and Henry, obviously, as they won't be available). I wouldn't mind Howard but his violent running style and the injuries that have come with it concern me.

So keep Blount on as the "bruiser"/1st-down back. I'm fine with it. Early in the season, Forte can see fewer snaps to keep fresh and White will see lots of 3rd-down action with Lewis seeing very little. As we get into the season, Forte gets a little more use, Lewis gets into a groove and White could possibly get IRed to save the roster spot. You'd end up with Blount-Forte-Lewis-Bolden, which is a really great and varied roster of backs, with White on IR just in case one of those guys isn't around the next year.

Someone mentioned it on page 1 that they wouldn't mind seeing S. Jax back. I liked S. Jax and wouldn't mind bringing him back to go along with Lewis and White. Then, either re-sign Blount or draft a big bruiser back. I like Forte and all but think he will cost too much $$. I'd rather use our cap space to re-sign Hicks and sign a good free agent tackle or LB to replace Mayo.

Someone mentioned it on page 1 that they wouldn't mind seeing S. Jax back. I liked S. Jax and wouldn't mind bringing him back to go along with Lewis and White. Then, either re-sign Blount or draft a big bruiser back. I like Forte and all but think he will cost too much $$. I'd rather use our cap space to re-sign Hicks and sign a good free agent tackle or LB to replace Mayo.
People see what they see I guess but I'm a little speechless that every time RB comes up there are comments that Forte is too old and too worn down but Jackson would be nice to see back. I know you're just saying that Forte might be too expensive (fingers crossed cautiously optimistic here) but I can't think of a more nonsensical approach than anything involving having Jackson back based on what we saw last year, esp if Blount is here too.

Am I the only one who wants to see more of Steven Jackson? Also, White might improve. There is no way for him to be worse at rushing lol.

You're not the only one. I agree with this. Jackson didn't get many opportunities but was average 2.5 YPA AFTER first contact.

Their line was just a mess by that point and no one short of AP would have made a difference. Tacklers were getting to the runner as the runner was getting the handoff. it was pathetic.

That said, I doubt Jackson wants to go through a TC, PS and 16-game schedule. He didn't seem up for that last year, so it would be hard for the Pats to convince him to come back, especially when he wasn't even really given a chance.

I fear that their run-game fall-off might also be a reason we see Forte in DENVER, too. Why would a guy come to New England to touch the ball 5-10 times a game when he can go there and get 15-20 carries/catches a game? New England might have poisoned their own well for RBs.

People see what they see I guess but I'm a little speechless that every time RB comes up there are comments that Forte is too old and too worn down but Jackson would be nice to see back. I know you're just saying that Forte might be too expensive (fingers crossed cautiously optimistic here) but I can't think of a more nonsensical approach than anything involving having Jackson back based on what we saw last year, esp if Blount is here too.

Agree completely. People are acting like it's 1995 and four million is big money but most of the same people were willing to give 16 to Revis. Aside from his production, which is exceptional, what makes Forte so appealing is that he it's going to come in at less than half of what the top players at his position get. That's a deal not an extravagance. The Patriots don't have many needs but a first down back who can stretch defenses and back off edge rushers is their biggest and a price tag of 4 million is bargain basement to fix it.

Last edited:
Blount didn't look like he had much left either before he went on IR.

he actually ran for a decent average......I think he gets stopped for no gain too much for someone his size, but he's a load and it has to get hard to drag him down every down

I believe with some work as well as a potential long term upgrade at OT, and this OL will be fine.......these guys were playing pretty well until solder went down and then the juggling began

also, for some reason, the unit could not get out of its own way when they replaced andrews with stork....not saying it was stork, but it was the moment that things kind of fell apart......maybe because he was out early and there was some continuity built up with mason/andrews/jackson

my expectation is:
Solder - will return to play as well as he needs to
Mason - will take a huge step forward under the eyes of scar......he has all the tools
Stork - will return to form though I have concerns about him and concussions
Jackson - I think he will improve, but he might be better as depth off the bench.....maybe a journeyman vet in the mold of compton/andruzzi would help
Vollmer - he's no longer an option at LT.....and it may get to the point where he needs to be replaced........hence the potential long term replacement listed above

Andrews - a little added size and he's the next wendell....good depth

something that has not been mentioned is the degree to which the pats missed develin........which I think is alot....he's a hammer you can move around the backfield as well as use as a blocking TE

I fear that their run-game fall-off might also be a reason we see Forte in DENVER, too. Why would a guy come to New England to touch the ball 5-10 times a game when he can go there and get 15-20 carries/catches a game? New England might have poisoned their own well for RBs.
Because TB > Osweiler
Because 15 years of success says the Pats can fix running the ball (you said yourself it was a line issue)
Because Forte knows his ability would still dictate he gets 15-20 opportunities per game wherever he goes

Don't get me wrong I think Denver would be an attractive landing spot for Forte or other RBs too, and maybe they offer more money, idk. I don't know what Forte or any other FA us thinking but there are a myriad of options before you get from Forte to bringing back Steven Jackson

why not just pay Forte instead of signing both? Blount is more easily replaceable if depth is needed

Denver has way too many key players to sign to be going after Forte hard.

something that has not been mentioned is the degree to which the pats missed develin........which I think is alot....he's a hammer you can move around the backfield as well as use as a blocking TE

This has been explored but not in the direction you are taking the discussion around why Develin was important to the offense.

Since Develin took over as the lead fullback in 2013 through this stage of the 2015 season, the Patriots actually average 0.82 fewer yards per carry in the rushing game when Develin is on the field, versus when he is off the field. On the flip side, the Patriots passing attack averages 1.11 yards per play more with Develin in the backfield. The average passing play jumps from 6.39 yards per passing play (similar to Chad Henne) to 7.50 (closer to Drew Brees).

Why? Defenses actually have to respect the rushing game when Develin is on the field, and then he's also a threat in the passing game out of the play action. He keeps the linebackers occupied and thinking, while there's zero chance that teams have to account for Mason in the passing game.

Patriots are Missing James Develin...in the Passing Game?

Because TB > Osweiler
Because 15 years of success says the Pats can fix running the ball (you said yourself it was a line issue)
Because Forte knows his ability would still dictate he gets 15-20 opportunities per game wherever he goes

Don't get me wrong I think Denver would be an attractive landing spot for Forte or other RBs too, and maybe they offer more money, idk. I don't know what Forte or any other FA us thinking but there are a myriad of options before you get from Forte to bringing back Steven Jackson

Well, Elway will offer more if he wants Forte. it's his thing.

And I actually like Jackson - he had no chance on most carries. No one would have. Look at his touchdown - there's a runner fighting for every inch. If he would agree to a team-friendly deal and play through the PS and accept his role, I'd sign him in a minute. Build line that can get him to the second level once in a while and I like a guy who outweighs linebackers and runs with that kind of ferocity colliding with smaller defenders.

Blount gives us this, too, but I didn't really see it in him recently. Seemed more determined to dance than pound to my eyes. Probably the best thing that happened to him, contract-wise was getting hurt, because in the last couple of months of the season, with that line collapsing, I doubt he would have gotten out of the damned backfield.

In 15 years running this team you can count on one finger the number of times they have shelled out substantial money for the Rb and that was in 2005 for Dillon's extension.

If history is our guide and Forte is looking for $4m+ in 2016 it ain't happening here.

Never really thought about it...but they have always found and can find cheap Rbs to help out a lot on this team. If it's worked in the past..why change could be their logic. Unless last year when lewis went down they said..lets try a "better" RB per say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore