PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the mutual interest between Blount and Pats affect going after Forte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We would have Blount,Lewis,White and Bolden. If we were to go for Forte and we sign Blount..who goes...stays?

Only in the sense of how much they can afford to offer.

But getting Welker, Stallworth, and Washington didn't prevent the Pats from going after Randy Moss.

On one hand, it really shouldn't. On the other hand, we don't really want too many old (yeah, Blount is old in RB years) guys in the backfield. I'd much prefer Forte and no Blount though. I just don't like when Blount is on the field anymore.

Blount would likely be a cheap incentive laden deal so even if that happens I don't think you can read much into other moves at RB based on LGB. He's no lock to make the team even if they sign him. He might just prefer coming back off the injury here to taking the same contract somewhere else.

Nobody's paying him like PIT did 2 yrs ago

I think there's mutual interest simply because Blount won't cost much and I think he understands New England is the best place for him. I doubt he would sign a contract that would render him impossible to cut so no, I don't think him re-signing would impact Forte or anyone we may go after.

Blount's injury was a rest and recovery injury that didn't need surgery. If he comes back, he's the team's only workhorse back, because you don't want to put Lewis in that position again when he's coming off of the ACL surgery.

1DRB - Blount
3DRB - White
1-3DRB - Forte
AthispaceRB - Lewis
FB - Devlin
ST - Bolden

That would set up as a 6 man backfield. In terms of cuts from there, I would think White would be more threatened by Forte than would Blount, but that's me trying to get into the team's collective head about Lewis.

It shouldn't, they play very different roles. Assuming the Pats are interested in Forte (which, for the right price, I hope/assume they are), there's no reason why they can't sign both.

If the Pats are interested in Forte then I don't see the need for Blount unless he signs for a low price and is ok with limited carries.

The Pats over the last 3 years rush approximately 40% of the time or about 25x per game. If we got Forte I think he should get about 15 rushes per game and Lewis at least 5 - 10. Doesn't leave much for Blount.

The ways to make room would be to get rid of white or develin, or turn Dion Lewis into a part time slot receiver (cuz if the dude's healthy, he needs to be on the field, period).

Blount/Forte with Develin at FB and Dion causing problems wherever he can. Bolden stays. White's the odd man out in the Forte scenario, unless we keep 6.

There's no reason to not have both Blount and Forte through at least the 3rd pre-season game. See how everyone is working out and who is gelling with the rest of the offense, and go from there.

Am I the only one who wants to see more of Steven Jackson? Also, White might improve. There is no way for him to be worse at rushing lol.

Blount played for 350,000 more than min salary last year. I assume that is what he would be signed for again. The guarantee was less than 1/4mill, I don't see that as a reason that they would not move on Forte.

My guess is that this report is BB telling him, that in May if there is an opening he would be welcomed back.

Am I the only one who wants to see more of Steven Jackson? Also, White might improve. There is no way for him to be worse at rushing lol.

Jackson had absolutely nothing left. White is ok as back of the bench depth if they really need him but is useless running the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes