PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Belichick Last Beyond 2023, and What Needs to Happen?

I think BillB wants his kid to eventually be HC.
Otherwise, they MAY give Mayo a chance, assuming he can do well in 2023.

My guess i BillB's time is 2yrs more (2025).

Every day after work I get on the YouTube and type patriots to watch the day's coverage.

There is barely any national coverage about the coaching press release which is shocking to me. I wonder if less national interest in Pats will have bearing on how long Kraft will tolerate mediocrity.

If 2023 season ends up 7-10 or worst.... Which is very possible if BillB keeps his mentality on drafting etc...
I mean it was great for 10+yrs but you have to change when the game changes...

This isn't that complicated. Bring in an experienced OC that can run the playbook Mac and most of the offense already knows (e.g., BOB), bolster the OL through the draft and FA, and see if Mac can make a leap in Year 3 with true coaching support and players around him. If not, that sucks, but we move on and we'll know where we stand. Rest of the cap room can go towards filling in the gaps on D / depth. We don't need a big splash on a WR / shiny toy. If we're going to spend $$$ I'd rather do that on the OL and DL. No point splashing for the big weapon until we have an OL + franchise QB that can fully utilize him.

Alternatively, if Bill has already determined that Mac isn't that guy and there's a trade available for decent return (2nd round pick), then target Jimmy G in FA and go that way. But given the difference in salary it'd be better to give Mac another go, and I don't feel like I've seen enough to properly evaluate if he's the starter for the next 5+ years.

There's no reason to kick Bill out of town before he's ready unless (1) the team craters or (2) he refuses to make changes to his coaching staff. This team is a OL + OC + QB away from being a true contender. That feels like a lot, and most teams never get over that QB part, but that's life in the NFL without a superstar QB. We knew it was going to happen when Tom left, so it shouldn't be a shock.

This isn't that complicated. Bring in an experienced OC that can run the playbook Mac and most of the offense already knows (e.g., BOB), bolster the OL through the draft and FA, and see if Mac can make a leap in Year 3 with true coaching support and players around him. If not, that sucks, but we move on and we'll know where we stand. Rest of the cap room can go towards filling in the gaps on D / depth. We don't need a big splash on a WR / shiny toy. If we're going to spend $$$ I'd rather do that on the OL and DL. No point splashing for the big weapon until we have an OL + franchise QB that can fully utilize him.

Alternatively, if Bill has already determined that Mac isn't that guy and there's a trade available for decent return (2nd round pick), then target Jimmy G in FA and go that way. But given the difference in salary it'd be better to give Mac another go, and I don't feel like I've seen enough to properly evaluate if he's the starter for the next 5+ years.

There's no reason to kick Bill out of town before he's ready unless (1) the team craters or (2) he refuses to make changes to his coaching staff. This team is a OL + OC + QB away from being a true contender. That feels like a lot, and most teams never get over that QB part, but that's life in the NFL without a superstar QB. We knew it was going to happen when Tom left, so it shouldn't be a shock.

Solidify the OL and OC, and the QB immediately gets better. Add to that the solid run game (which should get even better) and the offense could be set with what we have at WR/TE.

Add another interior DL - someone who can eat double-teams, and a higher-level LB who can cover and the defense goes up a notch.

Solidify the OL and OC, and the QB immediately gets better. Add to that the solid run game (which should get even better) and the offense could be set with what we have at WR/TE.

We need to replace the Bad Omen, don't forget.... And we still need a 3rd-Down RB.

If they feel that Kevin Harris & Pierre Strong are those guys respectively, fine... But they also need to sign a couple of decent vets & UDFAs to help cover their bases... And no, Ty Montgomery does NOT count, in case anyone was thinking that...

Add another interior DL - someone who can eat double-teams, and a higher-level LB who can cover and the defense goes up a notch...

...AND a #1 Outside CB.

I think BillB wants his kid to eventually be HC.
Otherwise, they MAY give Mayo a chance, assuming he can do well in 2023.

My guess i BillB's time is 2yrs more (2025).

Steve B needs to earn stripes with another team to become a credible HC candidate. He's got a long way to go.

Steve B needs to earn stripes with another team to become a credible HC candidate. He's got a long way to go.
I don't even know how that path would go. That's quite the shadow to get out from under. I mean, we joke about it, but if that's truly what he wants, outside of New England, I don't know what type of opportunity he'd get given the limited resume. At the same time, tough to leave when your dad is here and by all accounts, things are going well. Are there other instances of assistants getting a start under their dads and then moving on elsewhere? I know there are father/sons in the league but I don't know their original circumstances...

And we still need a 3rd-Down RB.
What's sort of weird is I don't know if they're doing that anymore. I think the goal was to have two guys they could mix in and instead of a dedicated person coming in on third down, there was still some element of surprise having the same players on the field. Aside from that, I think they're hoping Strong will be the other guy and from there, they need to replace Harris.

Kevin Harris showed some flashes and got better at blocking, etc. after getting drilled in that one game, and he's a strong guy who is tough to take down. But I think not having the 1-2 punch with Damien is going to sting, although as you've pointed out - repeatedly - he's been hurt a bunch and wasn't available much this year.

...AND a #1 Outside CB.
This whole situation with Jack Jones is a problem they didn't need, certainly wondering how that will play out. Have to also re-sign Jonathan and then hopefully add a perimeter guy. I know you don't like him but losing Mills down the stretch definitely hurt them. That was tough and I think it prevented them from being able to rotate certain guys over in certain defenses, which might have helped us possibly prevent one of those two deep plays.

If 2023 season ends up 7-10 or worst.... Which is very possible if BillB keeps his mentality on drafting etc...
I mean it was great for 10+yrs but you have to change when the game changes...
I wouldn't think that until you see what they do. A ton of money to spend and he's got a little pressure on him. If they can also have similar success in the draft and score some talent in free agency - and possibly make a Wes Welker-esque trade and grab a young super talented guy in the last year or two of their deal - they could really take a nice step forward. Don't give up yet. Wait and see how the offseason goes first. :)

I don't even know how that path would go. That's quite the shadow to get out from under. I mean, we joke about it, but if that's truly what he wants, outside of New England, I don't know what type of opportunity he'd get given the limited resume. At the same time, tough to leave when your dad is here and by all accounts, things are going well. Are there other instances of assistants getting a start under their dads and then moving on elsewhere? I know there are father/sons in the league but I don't know their original circumstances...

This was discussed recently on The Sports Hub. I believe there is precedent for a head coach's son getting started then moving up the ranks with another team but can't recall who was mentioned. The gist of it was that's what Steve B needs to put the nepotism issue to rest. What I've heard is that Steve is good with Xs and Os and calling a game but is NOT good at commanding a meeting room/expressing himself effectively, which is what Mayo does. It appears the two of them basically have split the role of DC, which makes for an odd situation.

I know people would like to discuss this, so given that Bill has already said he's coming back for the 2023 season, and it would be pretty surprising to see Kraft move on from him - barring a refusal to make changes - what do you think needs to happen for him to last beyond this season? And do you think he can make enough moves this offseason to make them competitive enough to be a factor next January?

With free agency two months away, it should be interesting to see people's outlooks a couple of months from now. Hopefully, we'll see some good moves including within the coaching staff.

I think Belichick stays as long as he wants to continue coaching, and I do believe he wants the wins record. The problem is the same as the problem with losing Brady, you have to replace the GOAT, and this one runs all football operations, and that will take two hires imo. If they want to start moving in that direction then Belichick should bring Jon Robinson back in, or try to hire Jason Licht away from the Bucs, that way Belichick can put a succession plan in place, and they would be the GM with the power to hire the successor to Belichick. At this point I’m far more concerned about who will run football operations than coaching.

I think Belichick stays as long as he wants to continue coaching, and I do believe he wants the wins record.

Does anyone believe RKK would fire BB? He's only fired 1 HC as the owner and BB won't be the second. They can go 2-15 and BB would be back.

Does anyone believe RKK would fire BB? He's only fired 1 HC as the owner and BB won't be the second. They can go 2-15 and BB would be back.

I agree, Kraft won’t fire Belichick. And if he did there is literally no one that can replace him. I do think however that Kraft and Belichick will start creating a succession plan very soon. It will take at least two, and possibly three people to replace all the functions Belichick covers. And I think the best plan would be one where they bring back a former front office guy like Robinson or Licht to be a part of that transition.

Kyle Shanahan forged his own path techicnally, I think he could go that route at some point

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back