PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Belichick Last Beyond 2023, and What Needs to Happen?

What does the Patriots press release about extending Mayo and interviewing OC candidates next week tell us in the context of this thread? To me:

1. There's little doubt the Krafts stepped in.
2. This weakens Bill imo, since it shows his failed experiment w/ Patricia/Judge has the team following SOP in search of a real OC/DC instead of Bill's Way of doing things.
3. It also weakens him if they give Mayo the DC/Asst HC title; by putting his son under Mayo.
4. It weakens him in the Bill vs Mac drama. By going out and getting a real OC, it makes Macs complaints and actions more justified. Seems like the Krafts listened to Mac.
5. Are the Krafts wanting to salvage their 1st Rd QB over any of Bill's possible objections of disloyalty because they believe in his future potential or because they no longer trust Bill's judgements /ways given the results?
6. Did Bill's decision on Patricia/ Judge set the stage for the planning of his retirement?

I'm a bit shocked over these developments. When the original media leak came out it sounded like a bunch of BS. Now, we see clear direction for where they want to go. The question of Mac is still outstanding, but it sure looks like it's his job to lose, instead of any talks of trades and such. This is all so fascinating.

4. It weakens him in the Bill vs Mac drama. By going out and getting a real OC, it makes Macs complaints and actions more justified. Seems like the Krafts listened to Mac.
There is no drama. Just the drama the press wants to manufacture.

It's not about "listening to Mac". Anyone with two (or less) eyeballs could see the overall ineffectiveness and ineptness of the offence in 2022 and the dropoff from the previous year. If you look at the stats and league rankings it become blatantly obvious that changes need to happen on that side of the ball starting with the coaching and coordination.

There is no drama. Just the drama the press wants to manufacture.

It's not about "listening to Mac". Anyone with two (or less) eyeballs could see the overall ineffectiveness and ineptness of the offence in 2022 and the dropoff from the previous year. If you look at the stats and league rankings it become blatantly obvious that changes need to happen on that side of the ball starting with the coaching and coordination.
Of course there's drama. This entire Patriots season was filled w/ drama. 2023 is starting off w/ unprecedented news in the Belichick era. When was the last time we heard a QB reaching outside the org. to multiple people for advice? I get that you're an IBWT guy, but open your eyes my friend.

Of course there's drama. This entire Patriots season was filled w/ drama. 2023 is starting off w/ unprecedented news in the Belichick era. When was the last time we heard a QB reaching outside the org. to multiple people for advice? I get that you're an IBWT guy, but open your eyes my friend.
This is the media kicking the Pats while they're down. Manufacturing controversy to gin up clicks. Has this been confirmed by Mac or any of the other people he contacted? Didn't think so.

I've never been an IBWT guy. No one is above criticism.

What does the Patriots press release about extending Mayo and interviewing OC candidates next week tell us in the context of this thread? To me:

1. There's little doubt the Krafts stepped in.
2. This weakens Bill imo, since it shows his failed experiment w/ Patricia/Judge has the team following SOP in search of a real OC/DC instead of Bill's Way of doing things.
3. It also weakens him if they give Mayo the DC/Asst HC title; by putting his son under Mayo.
5. Are the Krafts wanting to salvage their 1st Rd QB over any of Bill's possible objections of disloyalty because they believe in his future potential or because they no longer trust Bill's judgements /ways given the results?
6. Did Bill's decision on Patricia/ Judge set the stage for the planning of his retirement?

I'm a bit shocked over these developments. When the original media leak came out it sounded like a bunch of BS. Now, we see clear direction for where they want to go. The question of Mac is still outstanding, but it sure looks like it's his job to lose, instead of any talks of trades and such. This is all so fascinating.
All this assumes that the Krafts and Bill aren't on the same page. What if they sat down and agreed on the direction?

BB: The Matt experiment was a mess. I need to get him to Ernie's role, where's he's best suited.
RKK: Who do you want to talk to for OC?
BB: This guy, that guy, the other guy.
RKK: Bill O?
BB: Yup, he's on the list.
RKK: What are we doing with Jerod?
BB: Well, he is going to interview at Carolina and Cleveland. Denver most likely.
RKK: None of those situations are ideal for him. Let's lock him up long term and makes sure he knows he's always part of this family.
BB: Done.
RKK: I know it's not your thing, but Jonathan is going to talk to Tommy (curran) and get this info out. Later we will put out a press release. Again, not our normal OP, but it signifies the new direction. I think we need to show that we are not eff'n around now, Bill. 4 years with no playoff wins is not our way here.
BB: I understand.

I think there's a slim chance that it's always been BoB for 2023 as OC, and all this other crap is just noise. Theater.

I’m not cherry picking anything. I gave actual examples from the years that we were talking about. Remember, we are talking about the “GOAT GM” here, too. If we can throat his pole over the 2010 and 2012 drafts, which I’ve done in this very thread, we can certainly critique the mediocre-to-bad ones without falling on the “end of the round” excuse. Especially when the man has had some very good to great drafts while picking in the exact same position.
I have had posters tell me that Cyrus Jones and Duke Dawson weren't busts because another team wanted them after we let them go. I have also had people on here tell me that a draft class wasn't a bad one because we drafted a punter that had a good season. And if I have to hear the "well they pick late in the first and it is hard to get talent there" argument one more time I will lose my mind. I have given up on arguing what a good draft class is on here.

I don't think it was multiple people. I think he called Josh, and the reports of "multiple" were meant to throw people off.

This is the media kicking the Pats while they're down. Manufacturing controversy to gin up clicks. Has this been confirmed by Mac or any of the other people he contacted? Didn't think so.

I've never been an IBWT guy. No one is above criticism.
Has it been denied? Didn't think so.

All this assumes that the Krafts and Bill aren't on the same page. What if they sat down and agreed on the direction?

BB: The Matt experiment was a mess. I need to get him to Ernie's role, where's he's best suited.
RKK: Who do you want to talk to for OC?
BB: This guy, that guy, the other guy.
RKK: Bill O?
BB: Yup, he's on the list.
RKK: What are we doing with Jerod?
BB: Well, he is going to interview at Carolina and Cleveland. Denver most likely.
RKK: None of those situations are ideal for him. Let's lock him up long term and makes sure he knows he's always part of this family.
BB: Done.
RKK: I know it's not your thing, but Jonathan is going to talk to Tommy (curran) and get this info out. Later we will put out a press release. Again, not our normal OP, but it signifies the new direction. I think we need to show that we are not eff'n around now, Bill. 4 years with no playoff wins is not our way here.
BB: I understand.

I think there's a slim chance that it's always been BoB for 2023 as OC, and all this other crap is just noise. Theater.
Sure, they sat down and agreed, but the direction is un-Belichick like so it's coming from the Krafts. My point is simply that this being spearheaded by the Krafts weakens Bill since they aren't known for meddling. It says, you f*cked up so bad we had to get involved. Imo.

I don't think it was multiple people. I think he called Josh, and the reports of "multiple" were meant to throw people off.
Yea, I don't know, but I went back and listened and both Simms and Florio both said multiple times that he reached out to several people. Maybe it was only two, but it was more than one, according to them.

Sure, they sat down and agreed, but the direction is un-Belichick like so it's coming from the Krafts. My point is simply that this being spearheaded by the Krafts weakens Bill since they aren't known for meddling. It says, you f*cked up so bad we had to get involved. Imo.
Yeah that's what Holley and Felger :yuck: said. It was posted in another thread after my post, I'll link it here.

Edit:
Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

EDIT: Feels like a couple of these threads are talking about the same thing. I am trying to keep up, bud.

With Bill sending an clarification to journalist on the spending cap controversy and also this uncanny press release with full transparency on next steps , looks like Bill is getting locked and pushed into a corner after this year's results. Looking at it, I feel this might be Bills last season.

Yeah that's what Holley and Felger :yuck: said. It was posted in another thread after my post, I'll link it here.

Edit:
Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

EDIT: Feels like a couple of these threads are talking about the same thing. I am trying to keep up, bud.
I don't listen to those guys but makes sense.

Yea, several of these threads are intertwined. Having same issues. Lol

I don't listen to those guys but makes sense.
I don't either, but I clicked the tweet to hear Curran. Curran is somewhat plugged in.

Wouldn't shock to learn he contacted O'Brien and/or Sarkisian too... No big deal to me if he did.

Last edited:
No doubt Krafts put a collar on Bill.

This is just Mike's opinion.

It's a pretty cut and dry press release. People are reading into it what they want to read into it. If I take Curran's piece that kicked this all off and take the quote "My understanding is that no persuading on the part of Kraft was necessary." That kind of blows Mike's theory out of the water. But he's allowed to have a wrong opinion, I suppose.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back