PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Belichick Last Beyond 2023, and What Needs to Happen?

Nothing you posted would change anything that came before. Starting in 2014 they became one of the oldest teams in the league. They built a team of savvy older vets, they weren’t looking to develop rookies. Their QB was in his 40’s and the goal was to win now.
And that qb is still good, not sure what the point of this post was.

You have to acknowledge the 2019 deal wouldn’t have existed if they would’ve extended him when he originally wanted. Even so, that’s not a lot of money for an elite qb. You didn’t answer my question though, how many teams have lost their franchise qbs in FA?

Getting over it is fair, I just refuted the point of him wanting to leave vs getting shown the door. Irrelevant really I guess
His wife wanted to be in Miami, Tom actively pursued going to Miami when Flores was the coach.

It’s not wrong of Tom for wanting a new challenge or change of scenery. I’ve never held a job for 20 years, I never lasted that long nor do I think I could.

His wife wanted to be in Miami, Tom actively pursued going to Miami when Flores was the coach.

It’s not wrong of Tom for wanting a new challenge or change of scenery. I’ve never held a job for 20 years, I never lasted that long nor do I think I could.
You are skipping years in the timeline, not sure why. You have also yet to answer my question regarding franchise qbs in FA.

it doesn’t add up. Why would he want to leave if he asked for contract extensions?

If we signed Brady we wouldn't have had Nelson Agohlor and Jonnu Smith :eek:
We would have had a worse supporting cast in 2020 than the one we couldn’t win with in 2019 and we would have had about 15 mill instead of 65 mill to sign free agents with in 2021. And it would have had to be spent on some of Henry, Smith, Agholor, Bourne to appease Brady. We definitely wouldn’t have Judon.

This was discussed recently on The Sports Hub. I believe there is precedent for a head coach's son getting started then moving up the ranks with another team but can't recall who was mentioned. The gist of it was that's what Steve B needs to put the nepotism issue to rest. What I've heard is that Steve is good with Xs and Os and calling a game but is NOT good at commanding a meeting room/expressing himself effectively, which is what Mayo does. It appears the two of them basically have split the role of DC, which makes for an odd situation.

Kyle Shanahan forged his own path techicnally, I think he could go that route at some point

Wade Phillips also coached under his dad's Bum at the beginning of his coaching career, at 3! different places.

I know people would like to discuss this, so given that Bill has already said he's coming back for the 2023 season, and it would be pretty surprising to see Kraft move on from him - barring a refusal to make changes - what do you think needs to happen for him to last beyond this season? And do you think he can make enough moves this offseason to make them competitive enough to be a factor next January?

With free agency two months away, it should be interesting to see people's outlooks a couple of months from now. Hopefully, we'll see some good moves including within the coaching staff.
People's outlooks are almost always hopeful in the offseason. Teams make free agency signings, draft potential exciting players, etc. BB would have to really f up offseason to not have a hopeful fan base

Reactions: Ian
Well reading the past few pages has convinced me that despite the team's 500 record the past several years and no playoff wins, Bill and Bob have made all the right moves in both player personnel and coaching and It's really all Brady's fault.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back