PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Celtics have a future???

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Our Championship team of 2008 has fallen off the cliff.

Pierce has a ton of mileage.... and is now hurt quite often.
KG is not the same player since last years injury.
Allen is not getting any younger, although he does not appear as
washed up as KG.

We do have Rondo (bright note).

What do we do moving forward?

What will this team look like in 2014????

Last edited:

washed up as KG.

I thought when they made the moves that brought in older players it could be a one and done situation. But i really enjoyed watching that 17th championship, especially embarrassing the Lakes in the final game.

washed up as KG.

We have rondo, perkins, Big Baby (Off the bench), Nate Robinson, Tony allen....We have a pretty decent core of players if they keep them but we need to get another big time scorer or 2 when we get rid of or the big 3 retire....

This Celtics team reminds me of the mid 80s Patriots - From bad to good and slowly back to bad for another while...

Celtics are getting some home cooking foul calls tonight.

The FUTURE IS NOW!!!!!Pierce is the MAN!!!

Who the hell is thinking of 2014? You can go from the worst team in the league to the best in one year, anyways.

Who the hell is thinking of 2014? You can go from the worst team in the league to the best in one year, anyways.

That is true only if you are lucky enough to find players on the market or up for trade that fit into your coaching system and who come at a reasonable price against the salary cap. It doesn't really work without it.

It'll be Celtics/Lakers rematch from 2 years ago.

I think the Magic will go in over-confident coming off of 2 sweeps and blowing out both opponents. Plus Stan Van Gundy gets brainlock in close games deep in the playoffs.

Alot like the Cavs last year - came off 2 easy sweeps against inferior opponents, and over-confident against a Magic team that struggled against a bad Philly team, and a Garnett-less Celtics team.

washed up as KG.

In Today's age of professional sports, it is AWFULLY hard to win a championship, b/c the league has gotten much more competitive. Back in the 1980's, it was only a small handful of teams, albeit the same ones, that went deep in the playoffs. Now? A different team will take turns every year, not only winning the whole thing, but winning their divisions, making the playoffs, you name it.

Just be happy that you won it all 2 years ago - I'm a Pistons fan, and feel very satisfied that although they for the most part came up short throughout the previous decade, they at least came up with 1 title.

Or look at the Philadelphia Eagles - in the LONG McNabb/Westbrook/Dawkins/Jim Johnson era, they won ZERO titles, and now this nucleus is finally broken up.

Our future is the NBA Finals.

Our future is the NBA Finals.

For those of us old enough to remember, this year's Celtic team conjures up memories of the 1968-69 team. That team was perceived as old and past their prime and was a 4th seed in the East (only 4 made it from each conference) with a 48-34 record. when the playoffs started, they became the Celtics of old, winning the 11th banner in 7 games over the Lakers on the Lakers' home court.
Here's hope this year has the same outcome....

Last edited:
For those of us old enough to remember, this year's Celtic team conjures up memories of the 1968-69 team. That team was perceived as old and past their prime and was a 4th seed in the East (only 4 made it from each conference) with a 48-34 record. when the playoffs started, they became the Celtics of old, winning the 11th banner in 7 games over the Lakers on the Lakers' home court.
Here's hope this year has the same outcome....

I remember 69 (the year). People generally discount players or teams from that era. But if anyone ever saw Russell play they wouldn't be so naive (hey, let's retire #23 and wear #6 = F'n brilliant). This team is a lot like that team in that it took it easy during the regular season and is exploding at the right time. Both teams are a defensive presence. Garnett is a lot like Russell, tho, not even close as an athlete (not taking anything away from KG).
Hopefully, the Celtics can take game one out there. It would make the process so much easier ( need LA to sweep the Suns).

This team has a possible future because they have a elite player to build around like Rondo. They are not in cap hell like they were when Ainge took over that mess a few years ago. As players retire their money come's off the books. The only thing about the future is? Who is available when Garnett,Allen and Pierce retire? The stupidest thing this team could do was just sign someone to big money just because he is the best available player to fill the void. Unfortunate that Wade,Bosh and Lebron will be locked up for years to come.

Well, time for this to be the off-season thread.

Sigh.

I am wondering if we should let Ray and KG go and bring in Bosh to replace KG, resign Nate and maybe find another SG.....Tony allen is a great defensive SG but if you have Perk and T. Allen on the floor the other 3 have to be able to score.....I love KG and Ray for what they have done and meant to this franchise but is it time to cut these big salaries off the books and bring in a young stud player.....I am also wondering about that 7 footer that we drafted that is over in Turkey (I believe)....I wonder if he is ready to contribute because we need some more height in the middle....

I am wondering if we should let Ray and KG go and bring in Bosh to replace KG, resign Nate and maybe find another SG.....Tony allen is a great defensive SG but if you have Perk and T. Allen on the floor the other 3 have to be able to score.....I love KG and Ray for what they have done and meant to this franchise but is it time to cut these big salaries off the books and bring in a young stud player.....I am also wondering about that 7 footer that we drafted that is over in Turkey (I believe)....I wonder if he is ready to contribute because we need some more height in the middle....

Allen is gone, KG is no longer a starter and would be a better version of sheed coming off the bench for a top playoff team......Pierce.....not sure what they'll do there...but prob move him.....sheed retiring.......total rebuild next few years.....

If they can get Ray to sign a reasonable one year deal (big "if"), I say keep 'em together and try to make one last run next year. I know the big 3 are ancient now, but they are still a great team top to bottom.

They just need to acquire a C/PF who's a scorer. Garnett needs to be more of a part-time player and, as much as I like Perkins, he is the weak link. He did a good job on Dwight Howard, but got dominated and outrebounded by both Bynum and Gasol in the finals. The Celtics were a better team with Wallace on the floor.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back