PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do people realize the Pats probably requested that 3 week high altitude part of their schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slam

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We've heard before that when the Patriots have two road games on the West Coast, the Patriots request that they be back to back in order for them to be able to acclimate to the time zone change and spend all that time on the West Coast.

This year we have this part of the schedule:

Week 9: BYE
Week 10: @Broncos
Week 11: @Raiders in Mexico City

Denver and Mexico City are both high altitude venues, and with the Bye Week before those two road games the Patriots could spend a whole week at altitude in the run up to the Broncos game. Then they'd play that game and remain at altitude before going to Mexico City, which is even at a higher elevation than Denver.

There's no doubt in my mind that this was an intentional request on the part of the Patriots.

The Raiders, btw, have their Bye Week on the week before the Pats game, so they may be able to spend extra time to acclimate to the altitude as well. They did not have the Broncos road game adjacent to the Mexico game, however.

Probably part of the whole "we'll travel to Mexico City so you can showcase a meaningful game" deal.

Patriots get to play the Raiders at a neutral site, rather than in Oakland, and people are complaining about the placement /conditions of that game. Also, the Raiders aren't use to high altitudes either.

We've heard before that when the Patriots have two road games on the West Coast, the Patriots request that they be back to back in order for them to be able to acclimate to the time zone change and spend all that time on the West Coast.

This year we have this part of the schedule:

Week 9: BYE
Week 10: @Broncos
Week 11: @Raiders in Mexico City

Denver and Mexico City are both high altitude venues, and with the Bye Week before those two road games the Patriots could spend a whole week at altitude in the run up to the Broncos game. Then they'd play that game and remain at altitude before going to Mexico City, which is even at a higher elevation than Denver.

There's no doubt in my mind that this was an intentional request on the part of the Patriots.

The Raiders, btw, have their Bye Week on the week before the Pats game, so they may be able to spend extra time to acclimate to the altitude as well. They did not have the Broncos road game adjacent to the Mexico game, however.

I seriously doubt BB is going to fly anywhere early in a bye week just for altitude tng, maybe flight 1day earlier than normal. He likes his routines too much.

And México, where the drug cartels just executed a judge doesnt sound like a great spot to have a normal practice week. But anywhere in the middle (ASU ?) seems like a good idea.

I give strong credence to that they asked for left coast back-back, but doubt they would have the pull or even be allowed to think about asking for bye week placements. These are a big juggling act when it comes to scheduling-TV-stadiums. But as most nyjfl decisions, non-transparent, so you could be right too.

Let me make something up and then frame it as actual fact and let the ridiculous "knower of things" army go beserk ripping the Patriots apart. It's called Rich Keefe 101....

Never heard this theory before... interesting. If that were the case the NFL scheduling activity would be a nightmare to cater to 32 different teams by preference.. never thought there was much deference to a teams request for favored scheduling.

Consider in '14 the farthest this team went west was the Chargers
Consider in '15 the farthest this team went west was Denver or Dallas
Consider in '16 the Pats played the 49'ers in week 11 and Denver in week 15

It's possible, I've heard that it can be worse to spend more time in high altitude short term but then there's the difference between the two high altitudes which is far beyond my science lol. Would be cool if we could get a real answer, but most likely "We don't make the schedule, it is what it is, we are just focused on OTAs right now."

The OP makes a good point.

I never thought that it might have been at the Pats request, but I thought it was convenient that they could stay "at altitude" for two games in a row, especially if they can get to Denver a couple of days before that game and then stay there for most of the week before the Raiders game. If Oakland doesn't travel to Mexico City at least two days sooner than usual, it will give the Pats a real advantage, especially in the second half.

I've spent a lot of time in Mexico City and Quito (where, at 9,350 feet, the air is so thin that they have oxygen canisters at the end of the airport gateway for passengers who can't adapt to being all of a sudden nearly two miles in the sky). Denver is "only" at 5,280 feet, or roughly half the level of Quito; Mexico City is pretty much smack in between the two at 7,380 feet.

Oddly enough, it will also give them an advantage at their next home game after Mexico City since the benefits of training at altitude will stay with them. It's why many elite runners train in Denver or similarly elevated places.

Let's just say that when it comes to Science, such as altitude and air pressure, the geniuses at 345 Park Avenue have carefully thought this through and decided to grant the Patriots an advantage in the scheduling. Hmmmmm ....

Let me rephrase this: it is more probable than not that the boys at 345 who were surprised by the Ideal Gas Law have NO IDEA that playing at high altitude is any different than at sea level.

Bah! Morons and Clowns! It STILL pisses me off!

Last edited:
I seriously doubt BB is going to fly anywhere early in a bye week just for altitude tng, maybe flight 1day earlier than normal. He likes his routines too much.

And México, where the drug cartels just executed a judge doesnt sound like a great spot to have a normal practice week. But anywhere in the middle (ASU ?) seems like a good idea.

I give strong credence to that they asked for left coast back-back, but doubt they would have the pull or even be allowed to think about asking for bye week placements. These are a big juggling act when it comes to scheduling-TV-stadiums. But as most nyjfl decisions, non-transparent, so you could be right too.
I've been to both Mexico City and Oakland multiple times. Just my opinion/experience, but I'll tell you without reservation that I felt safer in the former vs the latter.

Add me to those who seriously doubt that the League would do this intentionally to help the Pats, regardless of a possible request.

But it sure is useful. I think the rule of thumb is one day per 1,000 feet to acclimate. So regardless of Bill's habits, if they went to Denver and set up camp there for two weeks it might really help them out. But that doesn't account for the need to get a couple of days in Mexico City to adjust for the increase over Denver.

It's possible, I've heard that it can be worse to spend more time in high altitude short term but then there's the difference between the two high altitudes which is far beyond my science lol. Would be cool if we could get a real answer, but most likely "We don't make the schedule, it is what it is, we are just focused on OTAs right now."

Ask the NFL* front office. They are experts on the effects of altitudes and atmospheric pressures on all things football.

Last edited:
Let's just say that when it comes to Science, such as altitude and air pressure, the geniuses at 345 Park Avenue have carefully thought this through and decided to grant the Patriots an advantage in the scheduling. Hmmmmm ....

Let me rephrase this: it is more probable than not that the boys at 345 who were surprised by the Ideal Gas Law have NO IDEA that playing at high altitude is any different than at sea level.

They will probably take game balls from the Mexico city game and test them in NY. "Hey......both teams were playing with severely under inflated footballs"

I hope NE's travel plans please Yoko.

I think it would make more sense to stay in the high altitude of the Denver area.

Let's just say God forbid the Patriots inflate their balls at home and travel to Denver or Mexico City. They would be something like 3 PSI too high.

They will probably take game balls from the Mexico city game and test them in NY. "Hey......both teams were playing with severely under inflated footballs"
You forgot the important part:

"Hey, both teams were playing with severely under inflated footballs. Suspend Brady 8 games, take 2 1st rounders from the Patriots, and send Oakland a letter of warning."

Prediction: they are not going to fly straight from Denver to Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back