PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Sedrick Ellis to retire

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Guess it's a good thing we didn't sign him.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 36s

Bears DT Sedrick Ellis has not reported to training camp. Ellis has advised the club of his intention to retire from the NFL.

Better yet.... Good thing we didn't DRAFT him.

He was a highly touted Top 10 pick. We had #7 that year and traded down. New Orleans took him at #7 with our pick. We ended up drafting Pro Bowler Jerod Mayo.

He was a highly touted Top 10 pick. We had #7 that year and traded down. New Orleans took him at #7 with our pick. We ended up drafting Pro Bowler Jerod Mayo.

The Bears made one more mistake with him. They let Odonije walk and kept Ellis...

Yep, when other teams make draft picks that don't pan out, that's just part of the draft. When it happens to the Pats, heads need to roll, according to all of the geniuses on this board. I don't see how this situation is much different than Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings.

You're drafting 22-year old players who have never actually lived in the adult world or played professional football. It's not a science... there are teams that are better than others, and the Pats are one of them. But every team has tons of misses and moves that look foolish in hindsight.

Yep, when other teams make draft picks that don't pan out, that's just part of the draft. When it happens to the Pats, heads need to roll, according to all of the geniuses on this board. I don't see how this situation is much different than Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings.

You're drafting 22-year old players who have never actually lived in the adult world or played professional football. It's not a science... there are teams that are better than others, and the Pats are one of them. But every team has tons of misses and moves that look foolish in hindsight.

I'm reminded of what my alma mater said in its manual about the admissions process for interviewers. Paraphrasing it a bit:

The job of an admissions officer is not to distinguish apples from apples, or even apples from oranges. The job is to determine which one, when fed to a cow, will produce the tastier steak four years down the road.

The only times I've truly been angry with Belichick's drafting is when he's drafted players that made absolutely no sense at the time. The most notable example of this, for me, was Ron Brace (over Connor Barwin in particular and over almost any other player who could have helped the Pats in general): even if you accept that the Patriots needed insurance in case Wilfork became a FA, Brace was, for all practical purposes, simply an immovable object, not the angry beast that Wilfork is.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back