SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Bengals
Sun
Dec 15th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Another Tough One
The Patriots fought until the end but just came up short during a frustrating loss to the Chiefs on Sunday.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

DL & EDGE Players: Run stuffers, designated pass rushers, hybrids, etc

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by reamer, Jan 11, 2017.

1. maineman209

maineman209 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +20,379
    Sheard was one of my binkies that draft, so blame that on me. BB has a long history of refusing to draft my binkies, IOW, if Dowling had been my binky, we probably would have ended up with Sheard.

• Like Like x 1
  2. manxman2601

manxman2601 Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +26,722
    Watch Keionta Davis' other Draft Breakdown against Jacksonville State and you do see his ability to bend the edge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,768
    That's a lot of weight to ask him to add. I would be satisfied with him at his current weight as a Priority UDFA and 3rd-string Strong-side DE.

4. reamer

reamer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,754
    I've seen him between 150 and 230 in most rankings / mock drafts. How would you feel about using 183 or 200 on him? Seems like solid value to me. I don't think he goes undrafted with his career production and testing numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Really nice analysis of testing numbers and other metrics posted yesterday:

Seahawks Draft Blog

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. captain stone

Ratings:
    +8,768
    It depends if our other needs - Power Back, TE, Left-side OLman, Coverage LB, 3-tech DT - have been met, and I certainly hope that a top 100-caliber DE has already been drafted by the end of day 2. If they have, then I would have no problem drafting Davis with our 7th-rounder…depending, of course, on who else is available there.

7. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,259
    I always find Seattle has one if the smartest fan following. Always well informed, and insightful opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    And he's a Brit. Just sayin'...:)

• Like Like x 3
  9. captain stone

Ratings:
    +8,768
    I might have to re-adjust my opinion of Davis. I found this top 100 list on SportingNews.com via Optimum Scouting, and guess who is #100:
    NFL Draft Big Board: Top 100 prospects in 2017 draft class

2 notes:
    It's a shame that the Sporting News no longer publishes a pre-draft issue (or any issue, I'm afraid). Instead of a vertical board, it would use a horizontal board, stacked vertically by round. Russ Lande of GM Jr was its primary scout.

Optimum Scouting charges $10 for its digital publication. No hard-copy edition, unfortunately. Has anybody purchased this brand before, and if so, what did you think of it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    I haven't but I respect Eric Galko who, I believe, is behind it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    I have a feeling that he goes earlier than expected. He has size, production, power, etc.

I've strongly considered getting the publication. From what I've heard, it's exceptionally thorough. There are a couple publications out there right now that look worth the investment:

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more Draft-2017-Preview-Nolan-Nawrocki/dp/0879465859 (EDIT: I had to break the link, or else it would try to embed the Amazon media, but it's not working so a blank space appeared.)

2017 NFL Draft Guide

Potentially: 2017 NFL Draft Pass Guide | Pro Football Focus

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Pretty fun video. There are three videos total with McGinest and Ware going over pass rush technique with Allen, Thomas, Harris, and Watt.

DeMarcus Ware's favorite drill

EDIT: Longer form on YouTube:

• Like Like x 1
  13. maineman209

Ratings:
    +20,379
    AFAIK, Galko is still the primary contributor to Optimum Scouting. For awhile there, a couple three years back, he had an extensive regular daily blog with his observations from Shrine Game and Senior Bowl practices. Not just "Wow!", tweet-sized blurbs, but actually detailed useful insights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Carroll Phillips

33" arms
    9 3/4" hands
    Height: 6032
    Weight: 245
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
    Vertical Jump: 30
    Broad Jump: 10'03"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.3
    3-Cone Drill: 7.06

Excellent athlete who plays to his testing numbers when unblocked. Other than the outlier of the vertical jump, he displayed speed, quickness, explosion, and strength at the Combine, and those numbers show up on tape. Disruptive. High motor player. Undersized, but fights through blocks with good physicality, albeit underdeveloped technique. At least one sack in eight out of twelve games this season; didn’t just feast on lesser competition. Produced 58 tackles, 20.0 TFLs, 9.0 sacks in his only season as a starter. Known as the “Wild Man” since his early days. Mentality of a “playmaker” can cut both ways, but at his best, Phillips disrupts the opposing team’s plans and changes their protection schemes. Vague rumors of off field issues, but little information. In interviews he comes across as focused, respectful, and personable. Coaches like him, and he works hard. Football guy.

Fit with the Patriots: In year one, Phillips would be more of a Van Noy backup, or in competition with McClellin. While he lacks the bulk of the more traditional DE/OLB types the Patriots have employed, he does show the physicality, aggressiveness, and willingness to take on blockers and play through contact. Once in a pro strength and conditioning program for a year or two, he could conceivably play at 250 - 255 without loss of speed or agility, and could eventually take Ninkovich’s spot, but only if he can improve his technique against the run.

+ Lightening quick into the backfield
    + Excellent TFL production; gets into the backfield with consistency
    + Experience standing up as a blitzer and in coverage (more at JUCO level than Illinois)
    + Versatile; can play multiple alignments and sides of formation
    + When his technique is right, can lock out arms and control chestplate of blockers
    + Tenacious in pursuit
    + Finds ways back into the play
    + Despite only 1 official forced fumble, looks to punish ball carriers with every hit
    + Takes good angles to the ball carrier
    + Explosive closing speed and reliable tackler to finish plays
    + Plays hard regardless of score
    + Reportedly took well to coaching at Senior Bowl and improved each day in an unfamiliar scheme with new requirements

- Not required to set the edge in college -- Lovie Smith believes in attacking DEs
    - Scheme called for upfield rushing; lacks experience against run/screen plays
    - Only a single year of production; one year wonder?
    - Seek and destroy missile; sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires (bites on misdirection)
    - Gets stuck to blocks; not likely a full-time DE at the next level
    - Quick spin move, but mistimed at the top of the rush, and therefore ineffective
    - Too often pushed past the action on running downs; still tries to get upfield
    - Somewhat difficult to project in a read-and-react scheme
    - Will need to move to LB in the NFL, but only produced well as a hand-in-the-dirt DE

Extends arms into tackle to prevent getting washed out on the backside of the play, then disengages and chases down the ball carrier. Vicious hitter.

At his best in pursuit, but here are a couple of plays where he fights through a block or bends the edge to make his way to the quarterback.

Works to get back into the play. Could shed more quickly, but shows the strength to push away the blocker and then the closing speed to reach the quarterback.

Easiest run block of this OT’s life, simply pushing Phillips upfield and using his natural aggressiveness against him to take him out of the play.

Short highlight reel from the school:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  15. long distance

long distance Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +23,674
    Thanks for your great effort.

I was looking forward to finally see some full game film of him. Quite a disappointment against average competition (Braden).

Unfortunately not much to see from NFL standpoint where he is projected to be moved off line.

The film is a good example how overrated sacks are. No pressure the whole game and then one meaningless sack for the highlight reel..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Yes, he really needs to improve his handwork. I think he's got terrific movement abilities and he plays hard, but he just gets stuck to blocks too easily. Move him off the line, and he can use his speed to chase down plays. I don't see him as a great fit here for what we like to do, but I could see him having a very nice NFL career in the right scheme.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Well, I'm a little behind schedule, but I just finished my main film review for Lawson (every 2016 game; I'm going to supplement with some 2015 games before the final writeup). There's a ton to like about his mentality and playstyle. I have a few concerns, but I'll get to those in the full breakdown. Just a head's up that I should be able to finish it this weekend. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. reamer

Ratings:
    +15,754
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. long distance

long distance Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +23,674

I was “scouting“ RB Ogunbowale a bit and came across this interesting film that shows some nice moves of Carroll Phillips. The tape is from 2015 and Phillips is not on field for big part of the game - probably highlighting further his liability against run:

Dare Ogunbowale (Wisconsin RB) vs Illinois 2015

Here a great game from Ogunbowale though..

#23 RB Dare Ogunbowale (Wisconsin) vs Nebraska 2016

Can run, block, receive, make big plays .. not bad for projected UDFA.

And remember - there's no RB signed for 2018 on Pats roster so don't only look at power backs..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. maineman209

Ratings:
    +20,379
    I've kinda had my eye on Ogbunwale as a UDFA for the Pats for a couple months, actually. Really only productive his last two seasons ...

Rushing: 185/1325, 7.2YPA, 12 TDs
    Receiving: 60/507, 8.5 YPC, 2 TDs

OTOH, 390 career touches/ZERO fumbles

5106/213 ... 35" vertical ... 120" broad jump ... 4.34 shuttle ... 6.99 3-cone

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1