PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dividends on MICHEL pick starting to pay off EDIT: paid off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some # crunching this morning. 117 yards in the sb would give michel the 7th most rushing yards in a single playoff season. 149 would move him into 6th. Would really need to go off to get higher, id imagine alot of those guys had 4 games.

Did some # crunching this morning. 117 yards in the sb would give michel the 7th most rushing yards in a single playoff season. 149 would move him into 6th. Would really need to go off to get higher, id imagine alot of those guys had 4 games.
Someone tweeted out the list and all the RBs except one are in the HoF.

Good company to be in

He has 1173 yards rushing in his first 15 NFL games. He's not Elliot or Barkley but he's a top ten rusher.
Add in 11 TDs and 4.47 ypc. That's a GREAT rookie year and well worth being a 1st round pick. I LOVED this pick, I wanted us to draft Michel, but never thought it would happen. GREAT pick by Belichick.

My buddy that is both a diehard Pats and Georgia Bulldogs fan had told me he was so happy we drafted Michel over Chubb. He said Chubb tended to disappear in big games.

Some asked why he didn't play at the and of the game. Now we have the answer. Fatigue or gameplan. Because no players listed on the injury report.

I was one of those. Don't trust burky after that fumble he had few games ago.. but coaches obviously do and he slashed through the line well but botched the 4 th and inches... ug

Wasn’t anything burkhead could do on the 4th down, not his fault. It was a poor playcall imo should go off tackle when the defense crowds the middle to stop the qb sneak.

Burkhead has overall been pretty reliable in short yardage

Some asked why he didn't play at the and of the game. Now we have the answer. Fatigue or gameplan. Because no players listed on the injury report.
Some might call it game plan, others use the term "adjustment".

We know:
1) Pats run game controlled the first half with Sony the work horse.
2) KC adjusted scheme/personnel in the 3rd quarter, effectively taking away the run.
3) Game turned into a shootout in 4th with clock management a priority for both teams at the end.

Knowing this basic information, it is pretty clear why Sony's running opportunities essentially vanished as the game wound down. If memory serves me, Sony carried the ball 29 times in his 34 snaps with zero looks in the passing game. Sony had a one dimensional role that offered limited value as the game evolved in the 2nd half.
Passing catching options White and Burkhead became MacDaniels tools of choice in the "pass first" 2nd half....giving Brady more options at the LOS scrimmage pre-snap. One dimensional Sony no longer fit the scheme. Why put a non-passing catching option on the field given how the game evolved.

I expect Sony to be more integrated in the passing game during his sophomore year if he can remain healthy during training camp, unlike this year. BB rarely dumps the whole playbook onto a rookie's lap, especially one who missed so much critical TC.
The fact that BB has placed so much trust in this kid out of the gates is impressive and his faith has been rewarded. The kid has mastered his role, he has shown durability, and he holds onto the ball. BB values these traits far more than home run capability. Ring owners Antowain Smith and Lagarrette Blount concur.

242 yards / 5 TDs.....feature back ....SB bound
Amazing people continue to discredit him
Where are the big names? Golf course or injury report.
Our guy......#1 rushing option on the SB favorite

Last edited:
Sony had 29 carries, that is a hefty load. We weren't about to give him 35 carries so we opted for the fresher legs.

Yep. Per pro football reference(michel has 242 thus far):

1 John Riggins+ (33) 610 1982 WAS
Terrell Davis+ (24) 581 1997 DEN
3 Terrell Davis+ (25) 468 1998 DEN
4 Marcus Allen+ (23) 466 1983 RAI
5 Eddie George (25) 449 1999 TEN
6 Thurman Thomas+ (24) 390 1990 BUF
7 Natrone Means (24) 358 1996 JAX

This is like half a season for most backs
So....if Sony has a solid rushing game, he will be the the most productive playoff RB since the NFL transformed itself into a passing league (2007 to present)
Yeah....BB really blew this pick

So....if Sony has a solid rushing game, he will be the the most productive playoff RB since the NFL transformed itself into a passing league (2007 to present)
Yeah....BB really blew this pick

Knowing how much tom has been carrying the offense in the playoffs in recent years, That would be pretty crazy to be able to say we had the most productive playoff rb since 1999. and it was a rookie!

Rams are dead last in the NFL in rushing yards per attempt on defense.
But they are good at defending passes to rbs.
So you'd think this is another big Sony Michel game.

My buddy that is both a diehard Pats and Georgia Bulldogs fan had told me he was so happy we drafted Michel over Chubb. He said Chubb tended to disappear in big games.

Yeah, in the 2017 Championship game against Alabama, Chubb had 18 attempts for 25 yards. Sony had 14 attempts and 98 yards. I was pretty sure that is way BB drafted him!

He has 1173 yards rushing in his first 15 NFL games. He's not Elliot or Barkley but he's a top ten rusher.

And you know that is absolutely fine. Generally speaking there is bigger difference in ability between players taken in the top 5 and around 20 than there is from #32 to #100.

Also this reply is not directed at you specifically but just at those clowns that put the first round label on Sony as if that makes him the same value proposition as Barkley or Elliot. The latter two need to be game breakers and play close to an AP level to be worth where they were picked relative to the value of the pick.

Michel has been a success story so far.

And you know that is absolutely fine. Generally speaking there is bigger difference in ability between players taken in the top 5 and around 20 than there is from #32 to #100.

Also this reply is not directed at you specifically but just at those clowns that put the first round label on Sony as if that makes him the same value proposition as Barkley or Elliot. The latter two need to be game breakers and play close to an AP level to be worth where they were picked relative to the value of the pick.

Michel has been a success story so far.

Michel was good value at the end of the first round. People need to realize he's not a featured back either. Pretty damn good season all things considered.

He's a solid RB, but the eyeball test shows me he doesn't have many moves once he gets through a hole. The top RB's mostly all have a jump cut where they make just one more guy miss, turning a 8-12 yard gain into a 20+. Hopefully he can develop some "shake" to his game.

Wasn’t anything burkhead could do on the 4th down, not his fault. It was a poor playcall imo should go off tackle when the defense crowds the middle to stop the qb sneak.

Burkhead has overall been pretty reliable in short yardage

Should have listened to Romo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back