PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dividends on MICHEL pick starting to pay off EDIT: paid off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember Dion Lewis talking trash about the Pats not spending money on him? That aged well ....

That last drive to seal the game may actually be the lasting memory for me. Kudos to the Michel, Rex and the OL. Pounding the run game from inside the 5(?) to field goal range, when everyone knew they’d be running (taking notes Sean Payton?) was just beautiful to watch.

I feel Michel has faded slightly late in the season (which is understandable given that he’s a rookie), although he’s still been effective.

He seems like he’s a bit of shell of his college self, and I’m not sure what that’s a result of ... he does look like he’s added a lot of weight, and based on the eye test I would argue he’s added too much. Not only does he look unnecessarily heavyset, he doesn’t have that same explosiveness and lightness on his feet he had at UGA.

Hope he can strike a nice balance this offseason. I thought Burkhead was the more explosive, and ultimately, effective runner in the postseason, although Michel contributed too. It’s moot now but I would’ve liked to have seen Burk get that potential game clinching 3rd-and-1 carry. I think he would’ve generated the power and explosiveness in the hole to get the extra few inches.

But I digress. Michel was a good player and contributer this season; I want to see him continue to develop as a player, and hopefully find a weight/physique that allows him to be the best all-around player possible.

Truly one of the best baffling posts I have ever read on this site. And that is saying something. Michel averaged over 5 yards per carry and over 100 yards per game in the playoffs and you think he's a shell of his former college self??? Absolutely baffling!

players to rush for 330+ yards in 3 games in a single playoff

Davis '98- 468

Allen '83- 466

Thomas '90- 390

Means '96- 358

Bell '16- 357

McNeil '82- 349

Harris '74- 343

T. Smith '87- 342

Michel '18- 336

E. Smith '92- 333

Might have top 4 if they would have let him run it more than 18 times last night

Michel is arguably the focal point of this turnaround. Having a RB that can consistently hit his holes and stay moving forward allowed the offense to become very versatile and unpredictable.

He really earned his stripes after a slow start this season. Certainly a weapon to be accounted for.

He finished his first 16 games with 1267 yards rushing and 12 TDs. Was superb in the playoffs.

Best early returns on a first round pick we've had in a bit.

Last edited:
so in the KC game we ran early and often with Michel, and closed it out late int he game with Rex

i was so infuriated to see so many Rex runs early in the SB, so i pretended it was because they were going to reverse teh trend, have Rex run early/often and have Michel close it out which seemed like a plausible strategy...but we just didn't run him that much

when michel runs, more often than not, good things happen...he's oure #1 runner, he should have more carries than everyone else combined and then some

After looking at the statistics re: Michel’s postseason it seems he performed better than I recalled.

I knew the running game overall had been very effective but I didn’t realize the statistical impact Michel had. Those are extremely impressive numbers.

I’ll eat some crow and admit that post from last night wasn’t fair to Michel and his production in the postseason. I still stand by my argument that I’d like to see more of the homerun explosiveness and pass catching ability he showed in college.

After looking at the statistics re: Michel’s postseason it seems he performed better than I recalled.

I knew the running game overall had been very effective but I didn’t realize the statistical impact Michel had. Those are extremely impressive numbers.

I’ll eat some crow and admit that post from last night wasn’t fair to Michel and his production in the postseason. I still stand by my argument that I’d like to see more of the homerun explosiveness and pass catching ability he showed in college.
All good.

I tend to agree with the last point. I also don't see the explosiveness he had a UoG. I don't think it's his weight. Might be b/c he is playing vs faster players in the NFL and will need a year to cure whatever ailed his knee. Don't know.

All good.

I tend to agree with the last point. I also don't see the explosiveness he had a UoG. I don't think it's his weight. Might be b/c he is playing vs faster players in the NFL and will need a year to cure whatever ailed his knee. Don't know.

Bingo. He didn't have a full offseason in a NFL strength and conditioning program yet and plays against bigger and faster players than most of the time in College.

He is definitely one of those who will make a y2 jump.

To those phonies Felger and Mazz you take that Phony Michel crap and put it where the sun don't shine. The kid is a Super Bowl Champion and a true Patriot thru and thru

I feel Michel has faded slightly late in the season (which is understandable given that he’s a rookie), although he’s still been effective.

He seems like he’s a bit of shell of his college self, and I’m not sure what that’s a result of ... he does look like he’s added a lot of weight, and based on the eye test I would argue he’s added too much. Not only does he look unnecessarily heavyset, he doesn’t have that same explosiveness and lightness on his feet he had at UGA.

Hope he can strike a nice balance this offseason. I thought Burkhead was the more explosive, and ultimately, effective runner in the postseason, although Michel contributed too. It’s moot now but I would’ve liked to have seen Burk get that potential game clinching 3rd-and-1 carry. I think he would’ve generated the power and explosiveness in the hole to get the extra few inches.

But I digress. Michel was a good player and contributer this season; I want to see him continue to develop as a player, and hopefully find a weight/physique that allows him to be the best all-around player possible.
It almost seems like you were watching another Pats team in an alternate universe. Not trying to attack you here, but we never would have made it to the SB without Michel, and we probably would not have won it without him. The Eagles and the Saints were both held to under 50 yards rushing as teams against the Rams, and Michel by himself got 94 last night...He was easily the most valuable running back, in terms of a runner and not primarily a receiver as White was two years ago, that we have ever had in a SB.

Best super bowl rushing performance and playoff season performance in franchise history.

Would easily have had a 1k season if not for injuries.

One thing that gets overlooked is his ball security, if im not mistaken his only fumble was in Chicago when his leg was damn near snapped in half. That’s insane security given his workload and being a rookie.

The best part is hes only going to improve. Firstly hope he doesn’t run into injuries again where he lost most of preseason and a few games in the middle. And as has been pointed out, if he clicks with Brady in the passing game and the offense is more unpredictable with him in, it will open up alot. He could easily wind up one of bb’s 5 best draft picks if so given the impact on our offense.
Couldn't agree more. He's as much of a home run as any single draft pick BB has ever made with the lone exception of Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes