PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussion on Jerod Mayo candidacy as HC

Another pro for Mayo would be keeping some continuity for a unit that has performed well. They already have to rebuild almost the entire offense, it would really be taxing to have to start over with a new defensive leader as well. And I wonder if he sticks around if he's passed over for HC here, so keeping him as DC may not be an option.

That said, you could conceivably promote Covington to DC as he's well versed in this defense and seems to carry a ton of respect with the players as well. And in general, I agree that an offensive HC is probably better, if nothing else to guarantee your next young QB is going to have the same system and voice in his ear throughout his formative years.

I think I'd be fine either way.
I think this is why you go with an offensive coach first.

The best teams also have an offensive coach.

Mayo may be a great choice, not only is he well versed in defense but has spent a lot of time in this organization and knows what it takes to win.
Need a really good General Manager and revamp that whole office
Need to decide on a D coordinator also..
Is Josh McD the answer at OC?? Or is new blood needed there??

The GM usually picks the coach, so none of this has a lot of legs in reality..
As long as he has zero say in drafting and FA signings.

I think it's also possible that we may be in for more than one coaching and QB cycle as they figure this out. It's rare it all works out on the first try, so I feel like we might want to buckle up for some frustration ahead. This isn't going to be as smooth as I think most of us hope and given what we've seen around the league (and obviously, even here), I think we're in for a bumpy ride.

This is the first time I've read one of your posts and reached for the Pepto Bismol.
Not disagreeing. Just ugh.

I really think that the folks that want a clean sweep are in for a rude awakening. I don't think RKK and Jonathan want to do away with everything they built, and Mayo does connect back to the winning years. He gives them an opportunity to be younger, fresher, while still having a connection to The Patriot Way. I could see that being important to them and not wanting to throw it all in the trash.
Plus, the defense that's returning next year, assuming guys get signed, can be really good. Why toss that?

let another team hire him and reap in the two 3rd round draft picks

I would give him a shot as long he's only the HC: No GM Responsibilities.

No thanks. If we wanted a defensive minded coach then might as well keep Bill.
I think that's an unfair assessment I won't miss BB's smug pressers. :rolleyes: That said we don't really know that much about Mayo the X-Player he could be good or not but that's why we'll have to find out I am going to trust the Krafts on this.

Does Joe Judge stay?
Asking for a friend. :maybenot:
Old West Reaction GIF by GritTV

Well, Bill is a 72 year old white guy ...
So What GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
I know you might hate this but you know I have to say it. I think our WR misfortunes change with a BB departure. :)

I know you might hate this but you know I have to say it. I think our WR misfortunes change with a BB departure. :)
I 100% think they will, possibly as soon as April 25th.

Do any of us have a clue what his contribution to coaching has been or the scope of his responsibility?

Steve seems to be the one on camera doing coaching stuff on game day. But maybe that's just cause he makes for good television with his terrible haircut and his funny faces.

As long as he has zero say in drafting and FA signings.
That is why I said a really good GM
All coaches have somewhat of a say in the draft, that is a tad naive if the GM does not seek their input, then they usually suck.

I think this is why you go with an offensive coach first.

The best teams also have an offensive coach.
There is some truth to that. But there are examples. Pitt, Houston, Buffalo, Cincinnati, patriots (2001-2019. ) it all depends on the QB to me.. get the right guy and it wouldn't really matter to much if the HC was a DC. The HC has to oversee all phases of the ball. I absolutely love what demecco Ryan's has done with CJ.

I'll add another theory to that.. if Mickey D comes back then Mac is here next season. What do u think?
That thought crossed my mind and terrifies me.
I think you let him compete for the job with Zappe and a rookie.

That thought crossed my mind and terrifies me.
I think you let him compete for the job with Zappe and a rookie.
Agreed, he'd be here on his rookie deal still and as you've said allow him to compete.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back