PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty officially re-signs: 2 years, $23M

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many safeties play at an elite level well into his 30s? Charles Woodson is a notable one, but I can't think of another at the moment.
Rod Woodson, John Lynch, Brian Dawkins, Darren Sharper, Ed Reed (still had one elite season left at age 33). Granted, all of them but Darren Sharper are HOF, but it's not unprecedented. Where it really falls off is after age 34.

I would think about Troy Polamalu as well.

I would think about Troy Polamalu as well.
Polamalu played his last season at age 33 and by that time he was washed up and frequently out of position from what I remember.

Good signing for long time Pats stalwart on Defense.. loyal to the Pats and a stable influence in the locker room.. a guy who knows what is expected of him and the rest of the D backfield.

I get the impression that he does not put up with a lot of crap from players who want to buck the Pats system..

I don’t know...Harmon is a darn good player for a relatively low price tag.

Yep. I would definitely not cut our only relatively young starting caliber safety.

Miguel had $19m before the DMC signing so not sure.

Quite frankly, Time is beating Tom. He needs to sign a deal.
Did the man not learn anything from his own documentary?! I mean, c’mon! :eek:

I think the signing is a good one and I don't think the price is too high either, though it will be interesting to see how the deal breaks down. However, I WAS surprised when they resigned his brother. Maybe it was a ploy to keep Devin in NE, but I thought that the Pats were deep enough at CB that they could afford to release him and save some cap money.

I think the signing is a good one and I don't think the price is too high either, though it will be interesting to see how the deal breaks down. However, I WAS surprised when they resigned his brother. Maybe it was a ploy to keep Devin in NE, but I thought that the Pats were deep enough at CB that they could afford to release him and save some cap money.
Yeah, but you can never have enough good corners; especially in today’s game. Plus, the value that we re-signed Jason for was exceptional.

It really all depends on what they think of their younger CB's, IMO. Did they like what JC Jackson did year 1 to year 2, enough to pencil him as the regular CB2? Do they feel good about JoeJuan Williams, both in ability and potential legal troubles? And related to that, do they see him long term at CB or eventually competing for safety spots? I think having Jason as a relatively known outside starter is worth what they're paying him.

Yeah, but you can never have enough good corners; especially in today’s game. Plus, the value that we re-signed Jason for was exceptional.

If we have "excess" corners, we can make a trade in August or September.

Has anyone checked on Triumph since this news broke?

Three voidable years means that the cap hits are roughly $5M in 2020, $10M in 2021, and $6M in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News