PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't look for Jackson to become a Patriot. Some basic info from Volin in today's Globe:

Carolina Panthers having a trying offseason - Sports - The Boston Globe

Numbers don’t add up on Jackson

The Eagles are actively shopping Pro Bowl receiver DeSean Jackson, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Surely a team will want him, but for Patriots fans dreaming of perhaps a Jackson-Danny Amendola swap, let’s look at reality:

First, the Eagles have to really want to get rid of Jackson’s 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns, because he’ll count $6.5 million against their salary cap if he is traded. Similarly, Amendola will count $4.8 million against the Patriots’ cap if he is traded.

Jackson also has a $10.5 million base salary in 2014, which the Patriots, less than $5 million under the cap, can’t afford. Jackson could always agree to a restructured deal, and the Patriots could always create cap space, but Jackson doesn’t seem like someone willing to play for a discount.

Jackson also has a $10.5 million base salary in 2014, which the Patriots, less than $5 million under the cap, can’t afford. Jackson could always agree to a restructured deal, and the Patriots could always create cap space, but Jackson doesn’t seem like someone willing to play for a discount.

Why do they pay reporters who don't the difference between a restructure and a discount? You can easily restructure his contract to get under the cap without him taking a dime less.

The problem for him is that he's probably going to have to take less at some point. I just don't see any team paying him 10 per even if Philly releases him.

Jackson will be wearing Hunter Green...wait...I hear it....playing in the background...

peaches-and-herb-reunited-polydor-4.jpg

Amounts vary, naturally, but anyone calling someone an idiot for keeping cash on hand instead of elsewhere is someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Perhaps a look at what happened in Greece, or taking a look at what's going on with banks

Now bank decides IF you can have your money

etc..., including those in the U.S., would help such people to understand, but perhaps not.

Since clearly you don't understand the issue, I'm not sure how you expect someone else to:rolleyes:

Do we really want Jackson on the Jets like I see some of you saying?

38577e42-1e54-45e5-a050-37cb0c61ee26_jacksontd1.gif

Jackson had 2 TDs 64 yards that game

I don't. Got any idea how we could stop it?

Why do they pay reporters who don't the difference between a restructure and a discount? You can easily restructure his contract to get under the cap without him taking a dime less.
Because when it comes time to hire a reporter, knowledge of the game is not the highest priority for the employer. In fact, I doubt it's even in the top-5.

So Woody Johnson expresses his interest in DeSean Jackson who is under contract with the Eagles. How is that NOT tampering??? Maybe the former Jets employee Goodell will punish them?? Not likely....
Johnson was stupid to publicly express this because it drives the price up in a trade....

Jets owner Woody Johnson confirms team's interest in DeSean Jackson | NJ.com

That's what I was thinking too. That is definitely tampering, how are they not being punished ?

Meh. On that play it was 2nd & 8 on the 12 and they got Revis playing at the 1st down marker 8 yards off Jackson and it looked like Revis was expecting help from Barron. Look at Barron on that play looks like statue. I'm guessing the call was for Revis to have the outside and Barron was suppose to have the inside.

Also half his stats in that game (1 TD 36 yards) came when he blew past Lavonte David, Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron. While Revis was on Cooper.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelphia-eagles/0ap2000000262490/QB-Foles-to-WR-Jackson-36-yd-pass-TD

Also who the hell has Darelle Revis playing 8 yards off when a team is 12 yards from the end zone?

This is an absolute no brainer for me. If Jackson is released, sign him and release Amendola. Amendola to me is redundant to Edelman while Jackson brings an element to our offense that is not there. If he isn't released, then a trade with him would require a restructure which I don't believe that Jackson is ready to do. This is a pay me player which is hard to make room for with our current cap situation.

They don't have the money to do that via trade or signing if Jackson isn't willing to take less. And if they release Amendola, they don't save any significant cap space.

That's what I was thinking too. That is definitely tampering, how are they not being punished ?

because Philly is dangling Jackson out as trade bait.

Philly has received and made calls to other teams, the Jets are just confirming it.

thats not tampering.

If a player was under contract and unhappy but the team he belonged to wasn't interested in parting ways it would be tampering. if anything what the jets are doing are helping the eagles out. if a team knows other teams want to sign him, they will be more inclined to make a trade to make sure they get him.

I'm not sure either of these are/should be tampering. If he were to say he is NOT interested wouldn't that also be tampering?

Anyway he's just the owner, so does it matter what he says anyway. It would need to be the GM only right?

For it not to be tampering, the GM (and GM only) would literally have to plead the 5th. Anything else would be affecting the player's decision making and attitude toward his team current, and thus by definition tampering.

Edit: IMO. Not sure how the NFL defines it. :)

because Philly is dangling Jackson out as trade bait.

Philly has received and made calls to other teams, the Jets are just confirming it.

thats not tampering.

If a player was under contract and unhappy but the team he belonged to wasn't interested in parting ways it would be tampering. if anything what the jets are doing are helping the eagles out. if a team knows other teams want to sign him, they will be more inclined to make a trade to make sure they get him.

They don't have the money to do that via trade or signing if Jackson isn't willing to take less. And if they release Amendola, they don't save any significant cap space.

Yeah but if they release Amendola AND Wilfork they'd have the cap space. Methinks this was just due diligence on the part of the Pats, or they would have cut those two and made the trade already.

Yeah but if they release Amendola AND Wilfork they'd have the cap space. Methinks this was just due diligence on the part of the Pats, or they would have cut those two and made the trade already.

We lose cap space by releasing Amendola. It would not help with signing DJax, neither would trading him.

Amendola has NOTHING to do with it, other than the obsession a lot of people seem to have with him.

YOU. DON'T. SAVE. CAP. MONEY. BY. CUTTING. DANNY. AMENDOLA.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2014 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Scroll down to Amendola...the funniest thing here is that if you cut VW, you can do it. If you cut DA and VW, you can't.

So they could just release Vince, which would bring them to around 11.6-14.1 million, depending on which spreadsheet you're looking at (I go with 11, because I trust Miguel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes