PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading for a high salaried "pay me" guy is different than signing him after he's been cut and has a somewhat limited market. The first is something they tend to avoid. The second is something they live for, if they think they can get a big discount on that player. Right now, this would be an example of the first type.

Beyond that, I'm assuming we're in agreement on the idea that we'd like the team to keep looking for ways to improve.

Yeah, that's true. I also think wasting a lot of time on an immature, narcissistic, emotionally unstable player is a consideration.

I think we recently wasted a whole season on one and found out when we needed and depended on him he couldn't deliver, or even line up correctly some time. Choco stinko or something like that.

Never, there are only like 3 worth that cap hit.

He wants more, though. While he was coming up for that contract, he got so upset he missed the team meeting before the game, then got benched because he dropped two balls in the end zone, because he couldn't concentrate, apparently.

Are you expecting him to change his position from more money to less?

He wants more, though. While he was coming up for that contract, he got so upset he missed the team meeting before the game, then got benched because he dropped two balls in the end zone, because he couldn't concentrate, apparently.

Are you expecting him to change his position from more money to less?

Yea I remember, honestly if what I read is true and the 2 teams he requested were the pats and 49'ers he would need to change his position.

Do I think that will happen? No. But I'm not in his camp. Word in philly is he requested the pats specifically. He has to know what their M.O is.

It's been said his preference is to go to a contender. You can't maximize your earning potential and request a contender.

Yea I remember, honestly if what I read is true and the 2 teams he requested were the pats and 49'ers he would need to change his position.

Do I think that will happen? No. But I'm not in his camp. Word in philly is he requested the pats specifically. He has to know what their M.O is.

Where did you read/hear this?

Where did you read/hear this?

I have a bunch of eagles fans as friends that follow the team closely, as well as people who are on the social philly scene that know friends of his.

I know a little more about him than most on this board I think. Like I know that he got into it with a local faction here in the City in one of his earlier seasons over a Latin girl from South Jersey. A beef that got squashed by a local dude on the scene.

He isn't man of the year but he isn't as much of a clown as he was.

I don't think he's going anywhere, maybe next season but more likely the year after when he's on his contract year.

I do not see him being traded, and especially not here, but for the sake of playing along I will throw a trade idea out there.

Patriots receive –
- DeSean Jackson, WR
- Draft pick #157 (Patriots fifth rounder that we gave up for Sopoaga) in the 2014 draft

Eagles receive –
- Danny Amendola, WR
- Third round draft pick in the 2015 draft
- Draft pick #182 in the 2014 draft

I just want to say: DeSean Jackson and Rob Gronkowski, Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner... that's means having the two best players on either side of the ball when matched up against any team in the NFL.

Oh yeah, and Tom Brady :eek:

I do not see him being traded, and especially not here, but for the sake of playing along I will throw a trade idea out there.

Patriots receive –
- DeSean Jackson, WR
- Draft pick #157 (Patriots fifth rounder that we gave up for Sopoaga) in the 2014 draft

Eagles receive –
- Danny Amendola, WR

WHY trade a WR who we just PAID 2 mill too? Do you people still not realize this? Even if you're just playing along...it's a horrid trade idea

WHY trade a WR who we just PAID 2 mill too? Do you people still not realize this? Even if you're just playing along...it's a horrid trade idea

According to reports, the $2 million would travel with the contract because of offset, meaning the trade partner would be responsible for it (or at least some of it, depending upon which report you read), not the Patriots.

Patriots receive –
- DeSean Jackson, WR

Eagles receive –
- Danny Amendola, WR

The Eagles already traded that 5th rd pick to NO for Sproles

I think this DeSean Jackson talk is all smoke he's Great when he's on but he has a ridiculous cap hit and he is a prima donna. The combo of those two things screams "stay away". This a Deep WR class we should be able to find someone in the 3rd or 4th if we do our homework.

We don't have time to develop more rookie WRs

I'd rather spend a 3rd via trade on a proven player who would help immediately, like Jackson.

I really wish we could've taken Patterson last year though. He was there at #28! We got a ton of picks for that trade but still... 9 TDs and a Pro-Bowl in his first season with the Vikings. Imagine him with Brady.

Just look at this beast! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hV3Ldg61g

(crappy music though)

We don't have time to develop more rookie WRs

This...a thousand times over. We already have 3 rookie receivers that are trying to develop, and there's a pretty good chance that we'll be adding another rookie TE (or two) as well.

Unless they decide to take a 7th round flier on a WR, I see absolutely no reason to waste another draft resource. It's interesting to me that many of these people who want to bring in a new draft pick at WR are also some of the same people who are going on about what a "great" rookie season the 3 youngsters had.

Something isn't adding up. Either they're good with their young WRs now, or they aren't.

I'd rather spend a 3rd via trade on a proven player who would help immediately, like Jackson.

I definitely agree, but the high price of that kind of contract would be extremely difficult to justify. It's possible that they were looking into it as an alternative in case Edelman left--so they could use Amendola in the slot and select a downfield target, and we're just hearing about the story as of yesterday. Actually, I find it to be quite likely the case myself.

I think we're pretty much set with Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, and one more veteran type of lower costing receiver such as Britt, Austin, Moore, Avant, etc. Keep in mind that we'll likely also be taking a new rookie TE to add to the mix as well.

I really wish we could've taken Patterson last year though. He was there at #28! We got a ton of picks for that trade but still... 9 TDs and a Pro-Bowl in his first season with the Vikings. Imagine him with Brady.

Just look at this beast! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hV3Ldg61g

(crappy music though)

Patterson has some talent for sure, but we really made out well with that deal trading down, as you pointed out. There's also the fact that Belichick doesn't care for using draft resources in the 1st round at the position, so I doubt we'd have taken him anyway.

What you say is certainly true.

I think we're pretty much set with Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, and one more veteran type of lower costing receiver such as Britt, Austin, Moore, Avant, etc. Keep in mind that we'll likely also be taking a new rookie TE to add to the mix as well.

What you say is certainly true.

I'm actually feeling much more hopeful about our receiving options than at the end of last season. I am very grateful to see it being addressed. If the youngsters can contribute and progress, we'll really be in a nice position heading into 2015+.

I'm sure they tried to keep the Revis deal a secret but we knew about it all day. Don't think it's us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes