PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jackson???

yeah???

and then maybe chris johnson???

1. Cut Wilfork. Free up, what, $7 million?

2. Trade a 4th for DeSean.

3. Restructure his deal to lower the cap hit.

4. Restructure a few other guys to add Jared Allen.

Draft TE, OL, DL in the draft.

Offense: Brady, Ridley/Vereen, Gronk, Edelman, Dobson, Jackson. Holy crap.

Defense: Allen, Armstead, Ninkovich, Jones, Collins, Mayo, Browner, Revis, McCourty, Dennard

Good lord that would be unbelievable.

Defense: Allen, Armstead, Ninkovich, Jones, Collins, Mayo, Browner, Revis, McCourty, Dennard

No lafell? Lol..

Armstead? You're joking right?

I would love DeSean, but i'm wondering if there is some off-field questions regarding him that we should stay away from?

I think this DeSean Jackson talk is all smoke he's Great when he's on but he has a ridiculous cap hit and he is a prima donna. The combo of those two things screams "stay away". This a Deep WR class we should be able to find someone in the 3rd or 4th if we do our homework.

Apparently, they want to trade him in his prime for some reason.

Probably more about his contract demands. It's a business, these front office types aren't nearly as petty as fans.

When those incidents actually happened he was involved in zero solid trade talks.

He talks about his deal, and now there's traction. Seems simple enough.

Despite all the noise around here, I would bet the biggest issue would be his cap hit going forward like some have pointed out.

His numbers were phenomenal last season and would upgrade the position immensely.

He does other things, too, like run the width of the end zone to troll a defense he just smoked down the side line before finally bringing the ball into the paint for the TD. He's been penalized for tossing the ball to the opposing head coach after a great play. He definitely has attitude issues.

If, and it's a big if that I'm doubtful of, but if Belichick could land him, I think he would shut that down immediately. He'd get benched a game for doing it here

One man's attitude issues are another man's swagger.

We'd seriously have a shot at 16-0 if we got Jackson and added a TE in the draft.

Well, I don't see any Super Bowl trophies in Philadelphia and he was benched under Reid, now Kelly wants to get rid of him. 175 lbs.
I'm sure Kelly would love to have him, just not at the long term $10MM/yr that his contract says the Eagles have to pay him.

He's just too big a risk to be worth the money, and although the receivers that would be left aren't quite up to Jackson's skill levels, they have been deemed "good enough" and much more reliable. Besides, haven't you heard, impact WR's can be gotten in the draft this into the 3rd round.....and next year is supposed to be even better. At some point in time (clearly not now) some of you guys are going to realize that a coach building a 53 man team, will often choose reliability over pure athletic talent.

(this assumes the gap isn't that great between the reliable player you want to keep and the unreliable but gifted player you are contemplating living without You'd put up with a lot of crap from a truly "transcendent" player like Lawrence Taylor, but I don't think anyone here would call Jackson "transcendent" even though his talent is unquestioned)

Then there is the tiny problem of his $10MM/yr cap number. I'm sure we could do some things like cut Wilfolk and Connolly to make room, but then we'd have no money to sign a capable C, a backup interior offensive lineman, a veteran move TE, a 3rd rotational DE, Blount, a swing T, or most of our draft class. But don't let that small detail soil your fantasy football-like delusions about adding ANOTHER WR, just because it gets you all wet. :rolleyes:

Currently the Pats have about $5MM in cap room and 4 of that is needed to sign our draft picks What you are suggesting would cost about $17MM in 2014 cap space. Do the numbers. Nice fantasy, but isn't even CLOSE to being doable in the real world. But if you think so, take my bet. ;)

Probably more about his contract demands. It's a business, these front office types aren't nearly as petty as fans.

When those incidents actually happened he was involved in zero solid trade talks.

He talks about his deal, and now there's traction. Seems simple enough.

Despite all the noise around here, I would bet the biggest issue would be his cap hit going forward like some have pointed out.

His numbers were phenomenal last season and would upgrade the position immensely.

Well, if he isn't worth his contract after his one phenomenal season, when will he be?

Well, if he isn't worth his contract after his one phenomenal season, when will he be?

Yeah, but he got his massive contract on good faith from the Eagles after a couple of sub-par/injury years.

The only way I could see this happening would be if the Pats could makes Amendola a part of the trade. I like DA a lot, obviously, but there's a lot less skill-set redundancy on the Pats with a Jackson.

AND/or DJax being willing to play on a new contract. Given his public attitude, I don't see it. Philly's trying to move him because he wants MORE money, invoking bad blood (see the first sentence in my post). They showed faith in him, he's not returning the favor.

Anything is possible (Revis), but unless DJax is a different guy than he's showing, I don't think the risk and disruption is worth the cost.

Yeah, but he got his massive contract on good faith from the Eagles after a couple of sub-par/injury years.

The only way I could see this happening would be if the Pats could makes Amendola a part of the trade. I like DA a lot, obviously, but there's a lot less skill-set redundancy on the Pats with a Jackson.

AND/or DJax being willing to play on a new contract. Given his public attitude, I don't see it. Philly's trying to move him because he wants MORE money, invoking bad blood (see the first sentence in my post). They showed faith in him, he's not returning the favor.

Anything is possible (Revis), but unless DJax is a different guy than he's showing, I don't think the risk and disruption is worth the cost.

I've always considered Revis a mature professional. Nothing wrong with wanting to get paid, nothing wrong with wanting to get away from the Jets.

I would consider Jackson the opposite of that. He's a very fast talented, undersized receiver who's a baby at best.

I'll skip what I really think of his behavior and emotional stability, because it isn't necessary IMO.

Also, he's returned 4 kicks in his career. He's a decent punt returner, but we just signed a better one.

I'm glad that the Patriots are looking at all sorts of ways, including trades, to improve the team. I hope that, after they pass on DeSean Jackson, they continue to do so.

I'm glad that the Patriots are looking at all sorts of ways, including trades, to improve the team. I hope that, after they pass on DeSean Jackson, they continue to do so.

I might have guessed otherwise. Care to elaborate?

Would you prefer the team stop looking for ways to improve the roster and go into the season as-is?

We might be the best team in the NFL right now and capable of winning the SB, we might not be.

We won't know until January and February (hopefully), until then I hope we stop at nothing when it comes to finding a way to make us better prepared for whatever can happen.

Trading for a high salaried "pay me" guy is different than signing him after he's been cut and has a somewhat limited market. The first is something they tend to avoid. The second is something they live for, if they think they can get a big discount on that player. Right now, this would be an example of the first type.

Beyond that, I'm assuming we're in agreement on the idea that we'd like the team to keep looking for ways to improve.

Would you prefer the team stop looking for ways to improve the roster and go into the season as-is?

I'm sorry, did I sleep walk last night and type something so ridiculous that you consider that a valid response?

Please, if I said anything like what you're implying, quote or describe it.

Also, why did you quote my reply to Deus, Since it doesn't remotely include any criticisms I dd have of the WR in question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes