PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Derek Rivers....D line or LB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am 1000% on the Derek Rivers bandwagon. Loved this pick when they made it. Love it even more now.My only question is...where will Bill play him? Sub packages as a DLman? Outside linebacker? I cannot wait for camp to see what they have planned.

No doubt there is a boom or bust factor here, due to his weight. He would need to add 15-20 pounds to get in Tre Flowers class. I just really like the way he tackles and wraps up. Big hands, upper body strength...Rivers could really contribute his first season in sub packages.

I'm going to say he's primarily a DE, myself. I think the pick was made with the idea of replenishing that position. We lost Jabaal Sheard and Chris Long, and Ninkovich is almost certainly on his last year here, if not in the NFL altogether.

I think Ninkovich gets somewhere around 50% of the reps again, with Rivers coming in for more obvious passing situations, like you said. I suppose I'm expecting Nink to take up half, and then Ealy/Rivers to make up the other half.

DE.

Ealy and Ninkovich are short term solutions for 2017. Wise, Flowers and Guy will be the rotational starters in 2018.

First world problems abound in Foxboro.

DE.

Ealy and Ninkovich are short term solutions for 2017. Wise, Flowers and Guy will be the rotational starters in 2018.

First world problems abound in Foxboro.

Needed to pinch myself to see if all of this is really true.. after SB LI woke up the next AM and said did that really happen?? And I watched the game sober....

Nice problems for the Pats to have.. somewhere in the nefarious defensive minds of Patricia and BB they are developing nightmarish game plans for the rest of the world..

IMO Rivers will play both positions which will only increase the nightmare for the O Coordinators.. being versatile is a highly valued quality..

Not 100% sure but I expect as Joker said he'll be mostly with his hand in the dirt on sub this year. As he gets bigger, plays faster and understands the nuances of defending the pass and run, he'll stand up, moved around and be given more responsibility and opportunity to make plays

Kid has a great motor and great speed (4.61 40). Just needs to add size and muscle. If he can get to 265 lbs, watch out. I think he will play DE, he never played LB in college. Doesn't mean he can't, Bruschi only player DE in college, be he was undersized, Rivers is 6'4".

I think I'll try using the multiple Binkie player card with a Micro Binkie, Mini Binkie, Binkie, Maxi Binkie , Mega Binkie and Super Binkie........one or more of them ought to be a nice addition to the 2017 Patriots roster.

:cool:

Micro- Hawkins
Mini- Roberts
Binkie- Langi
Maxi- Rivers
Mega- Wise
Super- Gillislee

Last edited:
Bill was talking about Rivers long before this draft to his coach Bo.

He picked him bc of his potential, character and knew he needed time to adjust to the NFL game.

So like most Patriots games he'll take on different roles depending on who we're playing that week.

He played LB in HS & a lil his JR year in college.

Here's my eval

Here's his speed shooting the gap

He mostly looked at by 34 teams, Jets & 49ers for example but he's such a great piece to work with.

His #'s suggest the can play LB and lines up with guys we've taken before but his game offers a lot of versatility from the RUSH position overall. He has some special #'s tho. Wow.

He's perfect complement to a guy like Flowers bc he opens up so much space when he rushes the edge and also has the speed, power and agility to hurt offenses elsewhere

I think Bill and Matt will tinker a bit and see what he does best right now. 2018 we'll get a much better of where they like him long term.

Last edited:
OLB - I think it is a better use of his talent to speed rush the QB. It will probably take him some time to learn techniques to take on and shread NFL OL as a DE. I rank Wise higher than Rivers at the DE position.

Hopefu'ly at some point a mix of both. I think they want him to be able to move around though. They like versatile players

The offensive fireworks is a given.
But I'm excited about this defense. Great blend of veterans and youth.
Look strong at all 3 levels. Good depth.
Lot of versatile players. I'm also looking forward to Rivers, could be a sleeper from this draft.

He's made for BB's multiple front scheme. IMO I think he can be a better 3-4 OLB but he can definitely play 4-3 DE.

What defensive formation you will see the most IMO come playoff time:

OLB: Rivers
3-4 DE: Flowers
3-4 DT/NT: Branch
3-4 DE: Brown
OLB: Hightower
ILB: Harris
LB/SS: Chung
LCB: Butler
RCB: Gilmore
NB: J. Jones
FS: McCourty

Key Reserves: Wise, Guy, Ealy, Ninkovich, Van Noy, McCellin, Rowe, Harmon

Our 3-4 looks with Flowers/Brown at DEs & Hightower at OLB wrecked havoc vs. the Steelers & Falcons. It's our best look.

Can't wait for this defense. Two reasons it can be the best in the NFL:

1) The first time BB has two CB1s to play with. We now have the flexibility to play J. Jones + McCourty on team's opposing small #1 WRs or Rowe + McCourty on big #1 WRs while having Butler/Gilmore suffocate the #2/#3 options. Just a ton of talent and flexibility.

2) With the additions of Harris & Guy, this defense can now comfortably play:

3-4
4-3
Big Nickel
3-3/4-2 Nickel
Big Dime
Dime

This maybe the most versatile defense we've seen. The D has the talent & coaching to one week stop the Titans heavy 2 TE power run offense and then matchup another week against the Steelers/Packers spread em out passing offenses.

Last edited:
He's made for BB's multiple front scheme. IMO I think he can be a better 3-4 OLB but he can definitely play 4-3 DE.

Our 3-4 looks with Flowers/Brown at DEs & Hightower at OLB wrecked havoc vs. the Steelers & Falcons. It's our best look.

Can't wait for this defense. Two reasons it can be the best in the NFL:

1) The first time BB has two CB1s to play with. We now have the flexibility to play J. Jones + McCourty on team's opposing small #1 WRs or Rowe + McCourty on big #1 WRs while having Butler/Gilmore suffocate the #2/#3 options. Just a ton of talent and flexibility.

3-4
4-3
Big Nickel
3-3/4-2 Nickel
Big Dime
Dime

This maybe the most versatile defense we've seen. The D has the talent & coaching to one week stop the Titans heavy 2 TE power run offense and then matchup another against tbe Steelers/Packers spread em out passing offenses.

Agreed. This defense has the ability and versatility to match up with Pitt/Arizona one week and Tennessee (like you said, the next). Although I'd like to get Ealy, Flowers, 54 and Rivers on the field together.

The line up you posted was one I've been dreaming about in my head. Playoff time, after the Rooks get adjusted and coaches figure out what they like. We're going to see a few great units on D.

Both but primarily DE, I'd say. Love the pick.

Bill was talking about Rivers long before this draft to his coach Bo.

He picked him bc of his potential, character and knew he needed time to adjust to the NFL game.

So like most Patriots games he'll take on different roles depending on who we're playing that week.

He played LB in HS & a lil his JR year in college.

Here's my eval

Here's his speed shooting the gap

He mostly looked at by 34 teams, Jets & 49ers for example but he's such a great piece to work with.

His #'s suggest the can play LB and lines up with guys we've taken before but his game offers a lot of versatility from the RUSH position overall. He has some special #'s tho. Wow.

He's perfect complement to a guy like Flowers bc he opens up so much space when he rushes the edge and also has the speed, power and agility to hurt offenses elsewhere

I think Bill and Matt will tinker a bit and see what he does best right now. 2018 we'll get a much better of where they like him long term.

Great eval.
While his numbers resemble Collins (i wrote a little something on the subject here: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa) his lack of LB experience and great bench numbers should put him closer to the line initially. He plays much stronger on the line than his 250 lbs would suggest - as you mentioned.

Despite his exciting numbers and tools there is a chance he might not see that much time on D this year - barring injuries. They can develop him gradually behind Ealy, Ninko etc. (like w Flowers) and use him situationally.

I do look forward seeing him on special teams. His speed, agility, power and strength promise a monster on all ST crews . possibly replacing the loss of Mingo. He was reportedly doing work with both DL and LB groups in minicamp . ST could be good opportunity to get better real action feel for playing in space.

Great eval.
While his numbers resemble Collins (i wrote a little something on the subject here: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa) his lack of LB experience and great bench numbers should put him closer to the line initially. He plays much stronger on the line than his 250 lbs would suggest - as you mentioned.

Despite his exciting numbers and tools there is a chance he might not see that much time on D this year - barring injuries. They can develop him gradually behind Ealy, Ninko etc. (like w Flowers) and use him situationally.

I do look forward seeing him on special teams. His speed, agility, power and strength promise a monster on all ST crews . possibly replacing the loss of Mingo. He was reportedly doing work with both DL and LB groups in minicamp . ST could be good opportunity to get better real action feel for playing in space.

Thank you!

He's in a great situation. Bill obviously likes him and got the goods on Rivers from Bo. He'll learn behind some great players and be put in good spots early on.

I'm honestly so pumped and not worried about Rivers. He's a real good dude and hard worker. That happens to have incredible measurables too.

I think he'll fit in great here.

Last edited:
I am 1000% on the Derek Rivers bandwagon. Loved this pick when they made it. Love it even more now.My only question is...where will Bill play him? Sub packages as a DLman? Outside linebacker? I cannot wait for camp to see what they have planned.

No doubt there is a boom or bust factor here, due to his weight. He would need to add 15-20 pounds to get in Tre Flowers class. I just really like the way he tackles and wraps up. Big hands, upper body strength...Rivers could really contribute his first season in sub packages.
Love the pick too.. I think he will be primarily used in sub packages as an edge rusher this season. Long term I think he projects to replace Ninkovich in his hybrid role.

It is worth noting that although he might not weigh that much Rivers did tie for the 4th highest reps on the bench at the combine with 30. That's more than any patriots defender has put up since Wilfork.

Can't wait for this defense. Tw`1o reasons it can be the best in the NFL:

3-4
4-3
Big Nickel
3-3/4-2 Nickel
Big Dime
Dime

This maybe the most versatile defense we've seen. The D has the talent & coaching to one week stop the Titans heavy 2 TE power run offense and then matchup another against tbe Steelers/Packers spread em out passing offenses.

Good post overall, a few thoughts on my end.

I am not sold on David Harris making this team. We bring in veteran players every year and list them as roster locks but in the past few years they have just been mentors in training camp and not on the final roster. Knighton, Washington, Brown in 2016 for an example.

yeah, my exact sentiment when we signed him. I don't want to say anything negative until I see him in camp but we'll find out fast if he's really in their plans. He does fill a need if he's still the tackling machine he was in NJ, but I never trust anything the Jetes do. Why would a defensive HC get rid of his most reliable middle defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL RECAP
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft