PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Demario Douglas - Round 6 - 210th Overall

It's been awhile since I felt like camp was going to be this exciting. Probably have to go back to the 2007 season, in all honesty..

I’m a fan of only keeping 2 tight ends on The 53 and 2 on the PS.
I think 6 WRs on the 53 isn’t just possible it’s likely in todays NFL.
My question is how do the two Rookie rbs we drafted last year break into this lineup I want to see them beat out the 2 ex Jets.

I can’t imagine in any alternate universe where Boutte or Douglas beat out Bourne. It’s not a bad comparison (lack of a better phrase) but IMO Bourne was held back in 2022 because of the obvious issues with coaching.
Agreed -- Bourne was the #1 DVOA WR in the league in 2021.

Douglas has exactly the skill set they were lacking, the immediate quickness to get open underneath that will give Jones the safety valve under pressure that Brady had with Welker and Edelman. I won’t be surprised if they trade one of the veteran WR’s this summer.

Agreed. I like Bourne and think he could have a bounce back year in a better run offensive system, but if he loses his spot because Boutte and Douglas look ready for roles in year 1, I think that's better for the team long term. Same with Parker, but I think the rooks aren't really competing for his role. His path to the roster is more about if O'Brien's system has a use for his skillset (and if he's healthy enough to perform it). Parker is basically competing against his own body. Bourne is competing with the rooks.
I just feel like the Patriots don't give rookies the chance they need (and the room to make the mistakes rookies will make) in the first couple of years. When the wheels were falling off a couple of years ago, I wanted Stidham throwing to Harry, Meyers, Asiasi, and Keene. They had nothing to lose and everything to learn.

Their philosophy was perfect when they were in the mix with Brady, but it led to, logically, an older team flush to the cap with a very thick veteran middle class.
This is a good year to really learn what players really are the young core of the team going forward, when they can easily re-sign whatever expiring rookie deals they want and still have money aplenty to fill in the holes through FA.
Don't get me wrong here: if guys like Parker are clearly better than Boutte and Douglas, this doesn't apply.

I can’t imagine in any alternate universe where Boutte or Douglas beat out Bourne. It’s not a bad comparison (lack of a better phrase) but IMO Bourne was held back in 2022 because of the obvious issues with coaching.

There's room for All of them, if they're worthy of it that is.

Last edited:
I just feel like the Patriots don't give rookies the chance they need (and the room to make the mistakes rookies will make) in the first couple of years. When the wheels were falling off a couple of years ago, I wanted Stidham throwing to Harry, Meyers, Asiasi, and Keene. They had nothing to lose and everything to learn.

Their philosophy was perfect when they were in the mix with Brady, but it led to, logically, an older team flush to the cap with a very thick veteran middle class.
This is a good year to really learn what players really are the young core of the team going forward, when they can easily re-sign whatever expiring rookie deals they want and still have money aplenty to fill in the holes through FA.
Don't get me wrong here: if guys like Parker are clearly better than Boutte and Douglas, this doesn't apply.

I can definitely relate to this, though I think they do give young players a chance when they're showing actual promise. Take Meyers for example: Yeah, he got kind of shut out his rookie year, but that year was a mess in general, and he was a UDFA, so he likely had a long way to go to be professionally polished. He did end up becoming their most consistent receiver though, despite going through multiple QBs and OCs, so they certainly didn't give up on him.

Malcolm Mitchell also got big time looks in the biggest game of the year his rookie year. So when guys are good, they seem to get chances. The thing is they haven't had a lot of rookie WR's that have turned out good in recent years, and part of that is that they haven't drafted them high. Harry got plenty of looks (because he was a first round pick) but just never did anything with them. Thornton played 50% of the offensive snaps last year, despite missing time with injuries. The fact that it didn't seem like they were featuring him could be as much on the OC and offensive inefficiency as anything else (we'll find out this year I think one way or the other).

So, long-winded reply cut short: I think if Boutte and Douglas show they belong, the team will make room for them. That doesn't mean they have to trade/cut anyone, as they could carry 6 WRs and use the PS to keep reserve OL, or just carry two TEs, etc. But if they're going to play on Sunday, especially early in the year, they're going to need to beat out guys like Bourne and Parker, which seems unlikely for week one. As the year goes on, and things take shape, and injuries happen, etc, if they stick around they're going to get an opportunity. Hopefully they seize it.

Douglas has exactly the skill set they were lacking, the immediate quickness to get open underneath that will give Jones the safety valve under pressure that Brady had with Welker and Edelman. I won’t be surprised if they trade one of the veteran WR’s this summer.
He's a dart throw receiver in the 6th round and you think he's going to replicate Welker's value to Brady?? I'd lower your expectations to lessen the certain disappointment awaiting you.

And I will be frightened if Douglas slots into a veteran's WR spot. I'm assuming you're thinking either Parker or Bourne. So after this theoretical veteran WR trade, we'll be looking at something like this...

WR1 JuJu Smith-Schuster (6'1" 215 lbs)
WR2 DeVante Parker (6'3" 219 lbs) or Kendrick Bourne (6'1" 190 lbs)
WR3 Tyquan Thornton (6'2" 182 lbs)
WR4 Demario Douglas (5'8" 170 lbs)
WR5 Kayshon Boutte (6'0" 195 lbs)

Frankly that's ****. Mac won't pass for more than 3500 yards with that group. Also, if you trade Parker then you won't have a WR over 6'2" and your tallest guy is ultra twiggy Tyquan. So put away the ecstasy pills because there is no way that group is good enough with mediocre Mac. Unless they trade for Hopkins, which we should all be on our knees for, they have to go into the season with JuJu, Parker, and Bourne as the top three WRs. I can see Douglas or Boutte passing over twiggy but no way am I trading away one of my veteran receivers with an idealistic notion of Douglas emerging as the next invaluable Patriots slot receiver a la Welker and Edelman. Keep it real brothers.

He's a dart throw receiver in the 6th round and you think he's going to replicate Welker's value to Brady?? I'd lower your expectations to lessen the certain disappointment awaiting you.

And I will be frightened if Douglas slots into a veteran's WR spot. I'm assuming you're thinking either Parker or Bourne. So after this theoretical veteran WR trade, we'll be looking at something like this...

Frankly that's ****. Mac won't pass for more than 3500 yards with that group. Also, if you trade Parker then you won't have a WR over 6'2" and your tallest guy is ultra twiggy Tyquan. So put away the ecstasy pills because there is no way that group is good enough with mediocre Mac. Unless they trade for Hopkins, which we should all be on our knees for, they have to go into the season with JuJu, Parker, and Bourne as the top three WRs. I can see Douglas or Boutte passing over twiggy but no way am I trading away one of my veteran receivers with an idealistic notion of Douglas emerging as the next invaluable Patriots slot receiver a la Welker and Edelman. Keep it real brothers.

Yep, we can't afford to trade Any of our WRs, especially before TC even begins... and I doubt even after TC ends too...

Welker was an undrafted 'dart throw'. JE was a seventh-round 'dart throw'. Jakobi Meyers was an undrafted 'dart throw'.

Welker was an undrafted 'dart throw'. JE was a seventh-round 'dart throw'. Jakobi Meyers was an undrafted 'dart throw'.
Welker is arguably the best WR in franchise history. You think Douglas is coming after him. Um, ok.

Welker is arguably the best WR in franchise history. You think Douglas is coming after him. Um, ok.
I didn't say that, but you're greatest strength is making **** up. The point is that 6th, 7th and even undrafted receivers have proven themselves invaluable to the team and dissing them before they've even put the pads on just makes you look like a douche.

I didn't say that, but you're greatest strength is making **** up. The point is that 6th, 7th and even undrafted receivers have proven themselves invaluable to the team and dissing them before they've even put the pads on just makes you look like a douche.
What did I "make up"? You brought up Welker and Edelman, and Meyers, which is slightly more reasonable but still probably crazy. Welker is arguably their best ever receiver and Edelman is their most decorated postseason receiver. You're talking about Patriots HOFers. So being a douche is suggesting a 6th rounder who's never caught even an NFL preseason pass in his life could be the next Patriots HOF receiver. Maybe next time stick with Douglas could turn out to be someone like Braxton Berrios... that's far less comical.

What did I "make up"? You brought up Welker and Edelman, and Meyers, which is slightly more reasonable but still probably crazy. Welker is arguably their best ever receiver and Edelman is their most decorated postseason receiver. You're talking about Patriots HOFers. So being a douche is suggesting a 6th rounder who's never caught even an NFL preseason pass in his life could be the next Patriots HOF receiver. Maybe next time stick with Douglas could turn out to be someone like Braxton Berrios... that's far less comical.
You made up that I said he would be Welker. I didn't. But strawmen and ******** are your stock in trade. Also, BTW, there is a vast difference between having to duplicate Welker and being a WR who is useful to the team this year. It's obvious that doesn't matter to you but it's what -I- care about.

Also, BTW, there is a vast difference between having to duplicate Welker and being a WR who is useful to the team this year.
That's my point, thank you. You're so inclined to disagree with everything I say that you can't objectively read any of my posts.

@Ivan said Douglas has "exactly the skill set the team is lacking" and compared it to what Brady had in Welker and Edelman. The implication there is Douglas will be much more than just "useful."

And what was your point is saying Welker and Edelman were dart throws in the draft too? (Welker by the way was acquired by trade.) You were making an implication that "dart throw" Douglas could duplicate Welker and Edelman. I'm saying there's a vast difference between becoming say Braxton Berrios (useful) or Welker (a Patriots HOFer who was prolific). The latter isn't happening because Welker is a once in a franchise player (he greatly out produced even Edelman) and Mac Jones is not Tom Brady.

Welker isn't the best WR in Patriots Franchise History. He's behind Stanley Morgan and Julian Edelman.
I call Welker the best but also wouldn't argue against Morgan. In fact I flip-flop on #1 and #2 there. I've settled on Welker for now.

Setting postseason accomplishments aside, and just looking at skill set and production, Welker is a better receiver than Edelman. There's a big difference in their numbers (regular season).

There was literally a time on the old boston.com forums where I was arguing with negative nancy’s (see above) that even though he had some injury issues and untimely drops Julian Edelman had the talent to be successful… and these smooth brains were telling me he was a “bust.”

Many of these same people were telling me that because James White was pinned to the bench behind Shane Vereen he was going to get cut. Many of these people argued Stephon Gilmore was the worst free agent signing of BB’s career after week one of 2017.

In short, it’s very easy to be negative in a sport where the average career lasts three years. If you said every rookie was going to fail you’d be correct a large majority of the time. These negative nancy’s never come back years later and admit they were wrong about Edelman… they just say player x could never be Edelman-like now.

It’s lazy garbage takes with zero accountability when they’re wrong. If the search engine on this site was worth a damn, there would be a lot more care taken with these negative hot takes.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back