PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Demario Douglas - Round 6 - 210th Overall

Mr. Excitement. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the team and contributes.

The only thing that keeps me from being really excited about the pick is the physical/athletic profile.

How many 5-8, 175-pound WRs that didn't run sub 4.4 40s have had success in the NFL?

Maybe Tyler Lockett? But even Lockett's a half-step faster, a bit better in terms of agility testing, and slightly larger than Douglas. And Lockett also happens to be an excellent route runner.

The videos are fun to watch, but I'm not sure how wide the path is for him to become an NFL caliber receiver.
Demario Douglas is 5'8.2" 179lbs - I don't count Lockett since he's a tall 5'9.7" but he's 182lbs (weights are as of Combine/Pro Day)

The following are just recent players:

Deonte Harty (née Harris...) - 5'6.3" 171lbs - 4.48 - WR/Return - All Pro / Pro Bowl 2019 - 11.0 100m in HS
Greg Dortch - 5'7.1" 173lbs - 4.59 - WR/Return - 52recs 482yds 2TD last year for ARI
Marcus Jones - 5'8" 177lbs - NO TIME scouts predraft: "Plays faster than his 40 time [4.72 out of HS]" - Guessing around mid 4.4 due to 11.01 100m in HS
DeAndre Carter 5'8.4" 185lbs - 4.44 - WR - WR/Return - 5 years in league - best 46rec 538yds 3TD for LAC
WanDale Robinson 5'8" 179lbs - 4.44 - WR - decent rookie season last year starting 3 games (6 overall) - 23rec 227yds 1TD
Brandon Powell 5'8" 181lbs - 4.59 - WR/Ret - had crucial moments in Rams SB winning season
Isaiah McKenzie 5'7.2" 173lbs - 4.42 - Pats Soul Crusher - 10.69 100m in HS but still ran over 4.4

A quick search of older names:
Dexter McCluster - 5'8.6" 172lbs - 4.58 Combine (4.44 PD) - WR/Ret - Pro Bowl
Wes - 5'8.6" but he was chunkeh at 195lbs - 4.65 - Dropped catch
Steve Smith 5'9.0" 184lbs - 4.41 - HoF semifinalist
Taylor Gabriel - 5'7.4" 167lbs - 4.40 - decent 6 yr career - best 67rec 688yds - another season 6recTDs

Last edited:
Small fast guy. Speed kills.

Like Marcus Jones and JJ Taylor.

a lot of those jump balls in his highlight reel aren't going to work at the NFL level with 5'8" height

but seems like a playmaker, will be interesting to see how he develops

The only thing that keeps me from being really excited about the pick is the physical/athletic profile.

How many 5-8, 175-pound WRs that didn't run sub 4.4 40s have had success in the NFL?

Maybe Tyler Lockett? But even Lockett's a half-step faster, a bit better in terms of agility testing, and slightly larger than Douglas. And Lockett also happens to be an excellent route runner.

The videos are fun to watch, but I'm not sure how wide the path is for him to become an NFL caliber receiver.
I would just say… how many draft picks, especially WR’s, have success in the NFL?

They have one of the highest attrition rates of any position in draft history. Many do make it though, Lockett, Amendola, etc. He has to get stronger, like the majority of draftees.

N’Keal Harry had all the talent in the world, he was mentally weak. If Douglass is smart, resilient and lucky (healthy) he will make it. He was uber productive and has a lot of dog in him, not afraid of a fight. I’m rooting for the kid.

I would just say… how many draft picks, especially WR’s, have success in the NFL?

They have one of the highest attrition rates of any position in draft history. Many do make it though, Lockett, Amendola, etc. He has to get stronger, like the majority of draftees.

N’Keal Harry had all the talent in the world, he was mentally weak. If Douglass is smart, resilient and lucky (healthy) he will make it. He was uber productive and has a lot of dog in him, not afraid of a fight. I’m rooting for the kid.
I am thinking this guy is gonna be like Meyers . Fight it out and prolly get a place in 53.

I am thinking this guy is gonna be like Meyers . Fight it out and prolly get a place in 53.

It'll be a tough battle for him, IMO. JuJu and Thornton (due to draft position alone) are locks for the 53. Parker and him aren't really competing for the same role, and Bourne I think will perform (and behave) much better under O'Brien. They're also likely to be playing Henry and Gesicki a lot, so the 5th WR isn't likely to have a regular active gameday spot. Injuries are the big equalizer of course, but he's going to have to play some ST and have a really good camp to not be the odd man out. I'm pulling for him though, I think a shifty slot is such an important weapon to have, especially for a QB like Mac.

I think the Pats found a diamond in the rough here in Demario Douglas he's electric reminds me of a binky Tank Dell. That said WR Kayshon Boutte if those ankles hold up is a Draft Steal he's very talented. Wouldn't shock me if both guys make the final roster and battle for playing time.

Last edited:
It'll be a tough battle for him, IMO. JuJu and Thornton (due to draft position alone) are locks for the 53. Parker and him aren't really competing for the same role, and Bourne I think will perform (and behave) much better under O'Brien. They're also likely to be playing Henry and Gesicki a lot, so the 5th WR isn't likely to have a regular active gameday spot. Injuries are the big equalizer of course, but he's going to have to play some ST and have a really good camp to not be the odd man out. I'm pulling for him though, I think a shifty slot is such an important weapon to have, especially for a QB like Mac.
Seems like OC BOB really likes Devante Parker maybe he feels he can scheme him open.

Seems like OC BOB really likes Devante Parker maybe he feels he can scheme him open.
It's a lonnnnng way to cutdown. Some veterans may end up traded or on the street.

Charlie Jones and Tyler Scott two guys I thought would fit on the Patriots went back to back in the Fourth. Charlie Jones went to Cincinnati FYI he will be a Steal.

Bourne might
Bourne ain't going anywhere he's better than Parker...Fat Matt messed with Bourne last year and BB went along with it.

I think the Pats found a diamond in the rough here is Demario Douglas he's electric reminds me of a binky Tank Dell. That said WR Kayshon Boutte if those ankles hold up is a Draft Steal he's very talented. Wouldn't shock me if both guys make the final roster and battle for playing time.
He's actually really similar to your guy (well one of them), Zay - identical measurables. Did equally as well last year against Wake Forest, and Demario killed UConn (8 rec 70 yds, 2 rush 105yds 1TD), while Zay was a dud against UConn (2 rec 35yds, 1rush -10yds).

I know this probably doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of football things, but an 11'2" broad jump for a smurf who's 5'8.2" is ridiculous. Only Calvin Austin III last year did it better at the same height with the little legs, and he's ~10lbs lighter.

Did you watch his tape... Freaking separation always ... Looks to be a diamond in the rough...

Those CB's showed bad technique on a Shorter Player that won't happen in the Pros.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back